Car pulls to the side after turning the wheel that direction - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car pulls to the side after turning the wheel that direction
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:08 AM
Ok so my I'm posting this in the suspension forum cause theirs no steering forums lol. So my problem is my 2000 sunfire will pull in the direction I last turned the wheel. Lets say I cranked it to the right and straighend the wheel out, my car wants to keep pulling to the right. Same as the left side. but it donly does it if I turn the wheel more than halfway. If I take small turns my car won't pull.
I have recently changed the struts from lowering to stock for the winter and it continued to do this after I changed all 4 struts. I have not yet gotten an alignment as I will soon be puttin in air ride and I will just do it then. But the alignment seems fine when I get the wheel straightend out I can drive a straight road with no hands for a good 2 or 3 mins. Anyone have an idea what this could be? I was thinking it was the strut mout bearings but it continued after I removed them.

Re: Car pulls to the side after turning the wheel that direction
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:33 AM
Check ball joints and tie rods. Jack the car up, throw some jack stands under it, and crawl u see the front end. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth and look/listen for anything out of the ordinary.

Check tire pressures and tire wear.

Listen to the upper strut mounts when someone turns the wheel. Rotate smooth or bind/crack/pop?

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:59 AM
Probably wore the balljoints being lowered and now since its raised it catches in a groove when turning.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:54 PM
I was think ball joint, an that's a good observation rob! I will jack it up with weekend and check for play thanks alot!
Friday, March 08, 2013 2:40 PM
Had the exact same thing happen with my old 99 Z24. it was lowered, but that was it suspension wise. never really looked into it before it got totaled, since it was a $500 car, but it bothered the hell out of me.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Friday, March 08, 2013 3:50 PM
The ball joints and tie rod ends are probably original and more than likely shot.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search