Willwood Rear Brakes - Possible? Have been tried? - Page 6 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Willwood Rear Brakes - Possible? Have been tried?
Monday, May 13, 2013 2:36 AM
Sorry, no updates as of yet other then the bracket is done. Ive been down in Tennessee for the past 2 weeks for work. Hope to be back at it this coming weekend.

Monday, May 13, 2013 3:43 AM
zdoubledozen [ Matt wrote:
I'm pretty flexible really, once the CNC programming is done I can release the *.nc coding, *.iges files, *.dwg to save on fabrication timing and costs if you were to take it to a local shop....

I'm not doing this to make money, and if people have troubles sourcing, maybe I'll send the file to a respected member with good GP history to sell them if there's a need.

I can help if need be. Also. An Iges would be killer. Side note. What was this drawn in?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, May 13, 2013 7:15 AM
Solid works 2010

Monday, May 13, 2013 5:40 PM
zdoubledozen [ Matt wrote:]Solid works 2010

nice im getting ready to try out solid works 2013

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:19 PM
just a thought but maybe Driving force fab. or u might want to get in on machince the brackets. cause if i could id love to get some rears done.

(write what ever comment you want here)
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:32 PM
cant wait to hear your review of the brake balance. After reading this tread im very excited. My friends and i race two cavaliers and they really need a brake upgrade.
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:42 PM
So if I wanted to get a pile of parts together...

2004 Subaru sti rear rotors
Wilwood pot e brake calipers and pads
Part number on the Wilwood calipers? And pads?
Stock j rear bearing
Your bracket..... Any update on when..

Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:51 PM
any new developments?
Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:57 PM
thats what I am saying.....

I already installed and bought the fronts.... just waiting on the rears.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 5:56 AM
Hey Fellas,

Updates.... I've been out of the country pretty much all of the month of May, but I'm back in Canada for a while unless plans change. I'm in a job that unfortunately and fortunately takes me around the world a lot.
The bracket has been done for quite some time now, I just need to get it on the car.

Just so everyone is aware....

I sourced and designed 2 different style of mounts, so you can understand the cost implications through a local fabrication shop or friend.
of course, prices may vary pending on your local labour rates and shop time overhead/material.

Prices were quoted through 1 local supplier only.

1) Econo: (test bracket)
2 burn profiles using 1/4" plate, with weld and manual drill tap 3/8-24
I had this style priced out, and it falls with-in $200-$250 for both or ($100.00 each)
No CNC is required.

2) Mid:
2 burn profiles (external profiling) using 1/4" plate, with weld and CNC drill and tap finish (all holes)
Looking around $450.00 for both. or ($225.00 each)

3) High
1 burn profile using 1/2" plate, full CNC pattern
Looking around $800.00 for both or ($400.00 each)

So having said all of the above, I went with the Econo, because $450-$800 is just nuts to prototype.
Therefore, I will be testing what most will be wanting to spend.... If proven, I personally will probably end up splurging on full CNC.

I know people are Antzy to get in on this, but from my perspective, I dont want to give out part numbers or designs until I put myself through some testing to ensure confidence in the overall design.
Last thing I want is someone getting hurt.

FYI - my cost so far
This kit is just under $1400.00 CAD in parts including shipping
- Calipers, Pads, Rotors, hats, bolts, spacers, mech spot calipers, brackets, hardware, stainless lines, fittings, fluid
I'll have a cost breakdown once released.

I'll let everyone know how long it takes to install, and I do plan to made an installation video/write up.

Please be patient.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 6:21 AM
Wow this is much more expensive than my kit!!!!!

Who is doing your machining?
I can most likely get these done much more cheaply!
Do you have a file, I would be willing to quote it for you!

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 9:21 AM

Bobby, Is your kit the same as this one? because I've just wasted my time if that’s the case.

Off the shelf Wilwood components
4 Piston
12" diameter
Bolt on
OEM E-brake compatible
Spacer offset allowance
No CNC or drilling of the brake components
15 deg fwd angle to match the fronts
vertical bleed out
Independent E-Brake caliper
Available replacement pads

As for the Bracket itself, I find $100.00 is a reasonable cost, given that whomever is fabricating the bracket needs to make a bit of profit.

Material with Burn: $44.00ea (3 Parts) 3.5lbs
Welding: $25.00ea (Relief and straighten)
Drill and Tap: $20.00ea
With applicable taxes

The CNC costs were high (if someone where to go that route), but that's for 2 brackets only. I'm sure if there was a 5 or 10 part run, the cost would come down per bracket.

As for the kit itself, it's pretty simple math to understand the cost
85% of the kit are buy components, so I can't see the cost coming down much from here, unless you find some deals.

Bolt-on Wilwood kit $900-$1000.00 in parts
Mechanical Spot Calipers $80-$100.00ea
Brackets $100.00ea (approximate)
$1200-$1400.00

I don’t look at cost being a problem, considering the investment of time I already have in the car.
Others may feel the same as I do, and may not compare to Bobby’s kit. Just sayn.

Like I said before, I’m not releasing files until everything has been proven, even for quote. I’m sure everyone understands.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 8:21 AM
Good read for sure! Its on my list to do WAY down the road but brackets would be nice to pick up sooner than later!

Thursday, June 06, 2013 9:06 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:Here's the one with the Wilwood combination caliper and the STi rotors:

This is the same caliper the one I've been working on uses, except with an 11" x .81" Wilwood 2 piece rotors and custom hats.
I'm also looking at using a plate adapter behind the hub instead of bolting onto the back of the hub mount with only 2 bolts. He hasn't had any issues, but I just wouldn't trust that.

This is my kit.
And it only uses one caliper.
Still maintain OEM e-brake cable.
Thursday, June 06, 2013 9:13 AM
Calipers are 259 ea.
Pads are 48-89 depending on compound
Brackets would have to be quoted again. (200-300)
STI rotors 45-300 depending on brand and quality.

Roughly about 815-1210 depending on quality.
Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:00 PM
Bobby Higgins wrote:Calipers are 259 ea.
Pads are 48-89 depending on compound
Brackets would have to be quoted again. (200-300)
STI rotors 45-300 depending on brand and quality.

Roughly about 815-1210 depending on quality.

That's not too bad... comparible in price really on brand new components.
Good enough to make your tires deflate lol

I focused a lot of detail on the forward angle for bleed out,

I guess overall in comparison to the kits, is preference.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:10 PM
Matt, any update? Can I buy brackets? Done with fronts ad wanting to do rears this summer... Thx

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:14 AM

Update !

So I was home for the Holidays, and put these brakes on finally. Work travel has been killing my summer already unfortunately, and sorry for not keeping everyone up to speed on a weekly basis. I just haven’t been home enough to finish this.

Installation took me 35-40mins per side, which I thought was pretty good actually. That's with brake pad shim centering and bleeding.
I had used a banjo bolt on the rear brakes instead of direct line feed in the attempt that I would need to work on proportioning and for the record, I now officially hate Banjo bolts on a Canadian long weekend where shops only sell course thread. (The caliper is UNF)

Needless to say, these brakes worked amazing. I'm extremely satisified with the results given that I threw a good chunk of money at a theoretical attempt. I've driven roughly 200-250km on them to brake them in and scrape the OEM paint off the rotors.
They grab nice, but is border line needing proportional valving and the master cylinder seems to be working with no issues. It's driveable, and I've done 60mph hard stops with out loss of control or lock up. That's as far as I wanted to go at this point until I re-check everything to see how things are holding up.

So I'm going to take the next step and put in a proportional valve, and dial it in. I also need to finish the E-Brake bracket and incline test, but from Spinning the tire by hand engaging the mechanical spot caliper, I dont see a reason why they wouldnt hold up. I really wish these spot calipers has some sort of pad spring retraction.

I did some modifying on the prototype bracket design, so I plan to update it so you guys dont run into any die grinding or modifying that I had to touch slightly. Either way, component clearence is good, and the pads touch full surface area.

My car is off the road for another couple of weeks, but in the mean time if anyone is hard pressed for getting parts ordered before Im finished with testing PM me for details, and I’ll let you know what to order from Wilwood or a distributer. The package is roughly 20 day lead time from order to door, but be prepared to spend about $1200.00 off the hop. We can go through correspondence for the bracket and drawings before I post up the file to the public, but I do want to tweak it a bit before. I'm not fabricating and doing the mailing thing for these brackets, you'll have to find your own fabrication shop or do it yourself. It goes without saying, but I’m saying it anyway that you’ll be taking all of the risk, and I will be making everyone aware of my disclaimer. Because of my work schedule, I wont have an DYI completed until early August… but I will pull my brakes off and re-install them for pictures and Installation video along with testing video like I promised.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 11:56 AM
A Picture for good measure...

Sorry, no full car unveiling pictures just yet and with my new 19" rims

The brakes still look small with the 20's lol

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:44 AM
that looks soo amazing...really appreciate your attention to detail

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:53 PM
Really looking forward to getting this information from you as a complete package information set. I will be ordering all the parts as soon as I put the car up and start tearing it down for the big build up. Thanks for all the time and effort put forth in this project for everyone who has been wondering the best way to accomplish it.

TJ

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:17 PM
zdoubledozen [ Matt wrote:]Bobby, Is your kit the same as this one? because I've just wasted my time if that’s the case.

Off the shelf Wilwood components
4 Piston
12" diameter
Bolt on
OEM E-brake compatible
Spacer offset allowance
No CNC or drilling of the brake components
15 deg fwd angle to match the fronts
vertical bleed out
Independent E-Brake caliper
Available replacement pads

As for the Bracket itself, I find $100.00 is a reasonable cost, given that whomever is fabricating the bracket needs to make a bit of profit.

Material with Burn: $44.00ea (3 Parts) 3.5lbs
Welding: $25.00ea (Relief and straighten)
Drill and Tap: $20.00ea
With applicable taxes

The CNC costs were high (if someone where to go that route), but that's for 2 brackets only. I'm sure if there was a 5 or 10 part run, the cost would come down per bracket.

As for the kit itself, it's pretty simple math to understand the cost
85% of the kit are buy components, so I can't see the cost coming down much from here, unless you find some deals.

Bolt-on Wilwood kit $900-$1000.00 in parts
Mechanical Spot Calipers $80-$100.00ea
Brackets $100.00ea (approximate)
$1200-$1400.00

I don’t look at cost being a problem, considering the investment of time I already have in the car.
Others may feel the same as I do, and may not compare to Bobby’s kit. Just sayn.

Like I said before, I’m not releasing files until everything has been proven, even for quote. I’m sure everyone understands.

What someone buys a Subaru rear brake kit?? Then all you need is spot calipers with your spacer and brackets

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:10 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:
What someone buys a Subaru rear brake kit?? Then all you need is spot calipers with your spacer and brackets

^^ Yup... crazy eh? lol

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:12 PM
No spacer and brackets... just brackets.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:52 AM
You have a link for which spot caliper you went with?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search