Drum Weights ... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drum Weights ...
Friday, July 12, 2013 4:41 PM
so as i was using the standard beat the crap out of one side while you pull on the other to get a stuck drum off...a weight fell off the drum...how critical is the drums balancing? can i run without it or do i need to reattach somehow or get a new drum?....was taking it off to clean and paint it so getting new may be the way i go but for now can i run it w/o a noticeable wobble/shake?

Re: Drum Weights ...
Friday, July 12, 2013 4:49 PM
depends on how heavy the weight is. A small weight, you will probably be able to drive it fine.
But, if the weight was a good sized one, you will probably notice a shake.
I'd just get a new drum. They don't cost much, but find one that says no machining required, ready to install, otherwise you might still have a shake.

Friday, July 12, 2013 5:00 PM
was a good sized one prolly 3 or so inches long...will have to run it to go get a new one , may try to jb weld it back on if its a huge shake...Thank for the info , will be sure to take it easy)

Friday, July 12, 2013 6:35 PM
jb weld probably won't work very well.
You could run it to a welding shop (a place that can weld cast iron) and have them tac it back on. That'd be the cheapest option, but, if it's not in the same exact place, it might still cause a shake.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 10:59 AM
If you had to beat the crap out of the drum to get it off... you should probably be replacing them anyway.

Drums are cheap. Much cheaper than buying a new car because you cheaped out on your brakes... or legal bills because you killed someone when you couldn't stop.
Sunday, July 14, 2013 12:50 PM
^Exactly...I can slide my drums off with zero effort. If you have to beat them then they are worn out enough to replace.
Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:22 PM
Lolz at taking the old ass rusted drum to a welding shop.

Theres places to cheap out. Brakes and suspension is not one of them.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 6:10 PM
Brian wrote:Lolz at taking the old ass rusted drum to a welding shop.

(note to Dave: the site should have a rep system.)

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, July 14, 2013 6:20 PM
Brian wrote:Lolz at taking the old ass rusted drum to a welding shop.

Didn't say I would do it. Just said it was an option.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 7:35 PM
lol they are less than a year old so ill pass on buying another new set if not needed ...the layer of rust that had built up around the edge that was holding it up came off easily with a few taps around the edge with a hammer...just a matter of me hitting in the wrong spot combined with what looked like a @!#$ty weld on the weight....which seemed kinda pointless as there was zero shake ,wobble or wiggle without it on there..other side had none to begin with *shrug* brakes work fine...is funny how everyone assumes >:o

Monday, July 15, 2013 1:48 PM
John Lenko wrote:If you had to beat the crap out of the drum to get it off... you should probably be replacing them anyway.

Drums are cheap. Much cheaper than buying a new car because you cheaped out on your brakes... or legal bills because you killed someone when you couldn't stop.

Yesterday 3:50 PM
Philly D Premium Member PM Ignore
Quote Reply

^Exactly...I can slide my drums off with zero effort. If you have to beat them then they are worn out enough to replace."

^ Good for you! My entire rear brake system wheel cylinders ,hold down kit, drums,shoes and lines has about 6k miles on em since new last fall and both drums had the same little lip of rust build-up on em and both required similar effort to remove and after cleaning the lil bit of rust off them they both slid on and off easily....
Point being ...Thanks for the advice Sunfiretun3r, helpful without getting on your**YOUR GONNA KILL ME AND BABY JESUS CUZ YOUR DRUM IS GONNA FLY OFF AND POKE A HOLE IN THE OZONE** soapbox like others always do

for them

Monday, July 15, 2013 3:03 PM
Not saying I've never had to use a rubber mallet to get a drum off. Its a good stress reliever.

The shoes like to bind up on the drum especially if you turn the wheel while its off the ground

Hell I dont know where you got them but most auto parts stores would warranty that out and get you a new one. I know I would if I was still working behind the counter.

Monday, July 15, 2013 4:28 PM
2KZ wrote:lol they are less than a year old so ill pass on buying another new set if not needed ...the layer of rust that had built up around the edge that was holding it up came off easily with a few taps around the edge with a hammer...just a matter of me hitting in the wrong spot combined with what looked like a @!#$ty weld on the weight....which seemed kinda pointless as there was zero shake ,wobble or wiggle without it on there..other side had none to begin with *shrug* brakes work fine...is funny how everyone assumes >:o

Glad you don't have a shake or shimmy.
I wasn't too sure if you would, because our drums are fairly small. But, it is possible.
On my truck (ram diesel 4x4) one of the weights had fallen off at some point in time and I got a massive shimmy in the rear. However, that's most likely due to the size difference. Those drums gatta weight 30+ lbs each. If they aren't balanced, you'll notice.

Monday, July 15, 2013 4:46 PM
2KZ wrote:
John Lenko wrote:If you had to beat the crap out of the drum to get it off... you should probably be replacing them anyway.

Yesterday 3:50 PM
Philly D Premium Member PM Ignore
Quote Reply

^Exactly...I can slide my drums off with zero effort. If you have to beat them then they are worn out enough to replace."

^ Good for you! My entire rear brake system wheel cylinders ,hold down kit, drums,shoes and lines has about 6k miles on em since new last fall and both drums had the same little lip of rust build-up on em and both required similar effort to remove and after cleaning the lil bit of rust off them they both slid on and off easily....
Point being ...Thanks for the advice Sunfiretun3r, helpful without getting on your**YOUR GONNA KILL ME AND BABY JESUS CUZ YOUR DRUM IS GONNA FLY OFF AND POKE A HOLE IN THE OZONE** soapbox like others always do

for them

Dunno what the hell PM ignore is but whatever.

You cant blame people for trying to give advice when YOU dont give a fully detailed story.

Ive had cavaliers for 9 years and never ever had to beat on the rear brakes or had a "lip of rust" in them enough to keep the drum on. I think im still on stock drums on my 03 and I just slid them off last month no problem.

Either way jb-weld is never a proper fix. Maybe next time you'll take the time to explain what exactly is going on since we are all working over a text forum.

"so as i was using the standard beat the crap out of one side while you pull on the other to get a stuck drum off...a weight fell off the drum...how critical is the drums balancing? can i run without it or do i need to reattach somehow or get a new drum?....was taking it off to clean and paint it so getting new may be the way i go but for now can i run it w/o a noticeable wobble/shake?"

You tell me where in that post it says my @!#$ is almost new....beat the crap out of gives off a different tone now doesn't it...
Monday, July 15, 2013 7:33 PM
Advice is fine ...*Don't use JBweld* which sunfiretun3r already said...woulda been plenty...ASSuming im gonna run something unsafe or saying i have to go buy new stuff cuz you never had a problem taking one off...is
I asked a question and it was answered perfectly and totally clearly ...how old the stuff was wasn't a factor in answering it you just ASSumed
". Maybe next time you'll take the time to explain what exactly is going on since we are all working over a text forum."

".how critical is the drums balancing? can i run without it or do i need to reattach somehow or get a new drum?....."
" for now can i run it w/o a noticeable wobble/shake?"
Again ...advice related to the question asked as sunfiretun3r seemed to be able to do is fine...

Monday, July 15, 2013 11:31 PM
Wowza... you act like a child, when we're really looking out for your best interests here.

I've seen plenty of sob-stories around here... usually related to someone who went cheap on brakes or suspension (eg. cut springs to lower a car..). I checked today... drum brakes are $12 a side at the local parts store. With a warranty.
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:21 AM
LOL i dont wanna know who your blowing behind the parts counter but
Advance = 38-49$ each
Napa 32$
Autozone 32-48$
I asked a simple question and you all assume @!#$ and start your *omg your gonna kill xxxx* and * dont cheap out on xxx**rants
I never said i was gonna cheap out or drive something unsafe...i asked if there was a temporary fix and got my answer...then the rest of ya joined in...this post coulda and should died after Sunfiretun3r second post...i was happy...the baby jesus was happy...but oh no thats not good enough for some...noone got told they were an idiot and doing something wrong..i better chime in**

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:34 AM
^^They are that cheap bud...

And for 41 years old, your acting like a child....relax.
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:38 AM
I would expect that this is the last time you received help from this forum, Scott. I wouldn't bother asking another question on the .org after this childish display - perhaps you should go over and read the tone of your posts and realize that the only person acting out of line here is you.

The most pathetic part is the fact you're 41 and write/talk like an uneducated 17 year old child.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:08 AM
Yup.. I'm pushing the "Ignore" button now. Idiot.
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:00 PM
Oh No!! ive upset the Cavalier gods ...whatever shall i do....
Too bad you didn't do that in the first place john as yours was the first pointless useless piece of *advice* based on your ASSumption that you know my car better than me and of course if the almighty Lenko says something it must be right and therefore the rest of the bandwagon got rolling so good job Idiot... the whole 12$a drum while possible again i say BS atleast in the northeast there are no parts stores with one for less than twice that....only ones with that kinda price is Rockauto and EBay .
As for not receiving anymore *help* <sic> again...whatever shall i do...
..pathetic is elitist aholes jumping to conclusions and the sheep who follow them

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:15 PM
Glad to be able to help.
I'm in the north east as well. $40 is about the going rate for them. To me, it's cheap insurance, but I can completely understand if the money just isn't there. I'm not here to bash anyone, just here for information for me, and to help others when I can.
I pay no mind to the flame wars that go on here.
Good luck in the future bud.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:34 PM
He suspended his account. Dont bother.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search