Why is lowering a cavalier so god damn expensive? - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Why is lowering a cavalier so god damn expensive?
Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:17 AM
I don't have $1000 into the suspension on Sweetness...

That includes: Sportlines, Custom koni Reds, eibach front & rear swaybars, Tie bar, subframe brace, front strut brace.

I clocked that all in at just under $1000. You have to make smart purchases.

I purposely didn't include bushings and mounts etc as those are wear item upgrades not "I want moar lowz and corner carvingz."

Sickness has about $900 into the suspension including an alignment:

Tein Basics, shorter rear springs, two revalved rear dampers, all new strut mounts.

The car already had front and rear sway/strut bars and all the bushing upgrades.

You really need to buy smart... if you think that's expensive then you're in the wrong hobby because that's dirt cheap compared to "good" suspensions for other cars. They're at the $2500-$3000 range. Try looking up a full coilover kit for a WRX or an old Japanese car.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Friday, August 30, 2013 1:48 PM
is very common on the internet for people to come, and claim that they have gotten a product or item, at much cheaper price, to feel that they are smarter than others, even if that was the case, it was plain luck, some guy who posted here said, that he got both items for $250? you wut mate

lol

You think I haven't looked on the internet for cheaper prices on these parts? I have also looked on websites that sell used parts, and nothing

The real question is who is buying these parts? I bet very few people in this country, probably nobody, why would a company continue making suspension parts for a car that was discontinued almost 10 years ago, guess what. they are not, very few people in the market are purchasing parts for this vehicle, I would dare to say, that all the parts available for the cavalier right now, were made years ago, and they have them in storage, very few people buy them, i really doubt companies would still be fabricating parts for this car, when noone is really buying them

The parts that you see online, were made years ago, and nobody is really buying them, hence the fact that they still have them available

not our fault that gm cheaped out on the cavalier
Friday, August 30, 2013 2:38 PM
Back to the original question

Why is lowering a cavalier so god damn expensive?

The same reason divorce is so expensive. It's worth it.
Friday, August 30, 2013 4:01 PM
No one may be physically producing the parts right now but someone did at some point. The cost of manufacturing is still built into the parts. You won't see a drop until the sellers start doing close outs.

I did buy my Dspecs and Sportlines used for $500 shipped to me door. Never gave me any problems. I sold them 3 years later for $200 because I was hard up for money to pay off my Civic. You can get good deals if you are willing to buy used. Otherwise you're going to pay.

Friday, August 30, 2013 7:12 PM
Expensive is a relative term which is a variable based on one's economic pricing structure. For the most part, Jbody parts are dirt cheap and like penny candy from the corner store

They refer to cars as "big boys toys" for a reason.

Saturday, August 31, 2013 7:48 PM
Brian wrote:No one may be physically producing the parts right now but someone did at some point. The cost of manufacturing is still built into the parts. You won't see a drop until the sellers start doing close outs.

I did buy my Dspecs and Sportlines used for $500 shipped to me door. Never gave me any problems. I sold them 3 years later for $200 because I was hard up for money to pay off my Civic. You can get good deals if you are willing to buy used. Otherwise you're going to pay.

everyone says the same thing, "you can get it cheaper", and is not always the case, just because you were able to get it cheaper, doesn't mean that it will apply to everyone else

anyway, yeah they are not longer producing parts for the cavalier. Everything that is produced, sooner or later, ends up malfunctioning and simply decaying, anything physically is bound to break at some point

if companies are not longer producing parts for the cavalier, what will happen in 10 years, when the parts available now (which are already old), probably won't even work as efficient, if at all

I'm just complaining not so much at the price of the parts, but the fact that we have to buy all these just to lower a cavalier, when people with other cars that were decently built (example, the eclipse) can get away by simply buying springs, and using their stock struts without any problem

if we do that, we kill ourselves
Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:53 PM
I like the ignore button

Sunday, September 01, 2013 6:11 AM
Just go out and buy a better car. If you think that is the answer.

And like any other car that you think is better. Will ride like crap with just putting lowering springs on stock struts.

But what the hell do we know.

So please just do us all a big favor. And put a for sale sign in your car and go buy a real car and then bother the ppl on that web site.
Sunday, September 01, 2013 10:22 AM
grgegre grgegr wrote:everyone says the same thing, "you can get it cheaper", and is not always the case, just because you were able to get it cheaper, doesn't mean that it will apply to everyone else

anyway, yeah they are not longer producing parts for the cavalier. Everything that is produced, sooner or later, ends up malfunctioning and simply decaying, anything physically is bound to break at some point

if companies are not longer producing parts for the cavalier, what will happen in 10 years, when the parts available now (which are already old), probably won't even work as efficient, if at all

I'm just complaining not so much at the price of the parts, but the fact that we have to buy all these just to lower a cavalier, when people with other cars that were decently built (example, the eclipse) can get away by simply buying springs, and using their stock struts without any problem

You obviously have no clue. I'm done with this. Go buy a DSM and a AAA membership, and go away.

Monday, September 02, 2013 4:00 AM
Brian wrote:
grgegre grgegr wrote:everyone says the same thing, "you can get it cheaper", and is not always the case, just because you were able to get it cheaper, doesn't mean that it will apply to everyone else

You obviously have no clue. I'm done with this. Go buy a DSM and a AAA membership, and go away.

This made me LOL
Monday, September 02, 2013 5:26 PM
Brian wrote:

YES!!!!!!! lol now get out of here and let us be happy with our cars

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 5:24 AM
grgegre grgegr wrote:is very common on the internet for people to come, and claim that they have gotten a product or item, at much cheaper price, to feel that they are smarter than others, even if that was the case, it was plain luck, some guy who posted here said, that he got both items for $250? you wut mate

lol

You think I haven't looked on the internet for cheaper prices on these parts? I have also looked on websites that sell used parts, and nothing

The real question is who is buying these parts? I bet very few people in this country, probably nobody, why would a company continue making suspension parts for a car that was discontinued almost 10 years ago, guess what. they are not, very few people in the market are purchasing parts for this vehicle, I would dare to say, that all the parts available for the cavalier right now, were made years ago, and they have them in storage, very few people buy them, i really doubt companies would still be fabricating parts for this car, when noone is really buying them

The parts that you see online, were made years ago, and nobody is really buying them, hence the fact that they still have them available

You're a complete tool.

For whatever reason, you hate the fact that people still mod Cavaliers and Sunfires. Maybe you should ask yourself why this bothers you so much.

Yes, in fact, finding a set of quality parts dirt cheap involves luck. You just have to be looking in the right place at the right time. However, you can lower your car for under $1,000 properly if you just look around enough. Like I said, Tokico HP Blues can be had for just over $400 brand new, including shipping. You can find plenty of spring options right around $200, and less if you look. Add in a new set of strut mounts (that as mentioned earlier, are simply a maintainance item anyway), and an alignment, and you're still under $800...However, the actual cost of lowering is still only about $600, because you should get your car aligned regularly anyway, and the strut mounts should be replaced regularly, as they wear out.

Yes, manufacturers are, in fact, still making these parts. You don't really think they made so many that they can keep selling them for years off their old stock, do you? If you think this, you've got absolutely no clue how business economics work.

I love how you try to tell a forum full of people still buying these parts that nobody is buying these parts anymore. You're seriously an idiot.

Have a nice day.

Friday, November 01, 2013 9:42 AM
Okay... why come on here to a site deadicated to the j body and bitch? Why did you even buy the car then? Do us all a favor. Sell the car and remove your self from this site. Any body up to group bitch slap this guy? Im in lol

I Love My J ♡
Friday, November 01, 2013 12:40 PM
I'm all for it Cody. Lmao.

I need an adultier adult.
Friday, November 01, 2013 4:58 PM
Just because 1000 is out of your budget doesn't mean its expensive. If you look at the price for lowering every vehicle out there 1000 isn't bad at all and its about average for most economy cars too. And that's for a good quality set at each corner as stated before lowering can be done for 600 if quality isn't a huge factor for you remember the automotive triangle states u can have 2 out of 3 performance, reliability, and cheapness. And if 600 is still to expensive for then you could go the redneck route and just cut your coils or heat them up with a torch your pick. I recently got an 01 z24 and I'm loving how cheap and easily it can be modded as opposed to other cars. If u can't afford to buy and lower a cavalier then quit ur bitchin cuz u probably wouldn't be able to afford the stock replacement for what u deem to be a "real" car
Saturday, November 02, 2013 3:48 PM
Well put^^^^^ and if you wanna be cheap theres a set up on ebay brand new $3xx for kyb struts and springs on all four courners like 1.5 or 2in lower so there ya go quit your whinning

I Love My J ♡
Sunday, November 03, 2013 6:57 AM
This thread had died 2 months ago. Why bring it back?

Monday, November 04, 2013 6:46 AM
James Cahill wrote:This thread had died 2 months ago. Why bring it back?
No sh!t.

Cody, fix your sig. That pic is way beyond the limit.

Monday, November 04, 2013 9:01 AM
I tried man. I even downloaded a photo editer and made it as small as i can the only other thing is to get rid of it

I Love My J ♡
Monday, November 04, 2013 10:29 AM
cody nobbs wrote:I tried man. I even downloaded a photo editer and made it as small as i can the only other thing is to get rid of it
Try posting it in the image manipulation forum. Many people post images requesting signatures in there.

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:18 AM
i also wish slamming the cavi was alot cheaper...
i did a 5/3 drop on my 91 blazer for about 400 (2" front spindles, 2" front springs, 3" blocks in the rear)
and my 2000 s10, 2" spindles in the front and 3" blocks in the back. for $110 used parts off a friend.
oh well. its the way she goes

Monday, February 17, 2014 2:26 PM
grgegre grgegr wrote:is very common on the internet for people to come, and claim that they have gotten a product or item, at much cheaper price, to feel that they are smarter than others, even if that was the case, it was plain luck, some guy who posted here said, that he got both items for $250? you wut mate

lol

I was just going to close this thread after reading this comment but glad I didn't, some funny responses after. This comment above, I felt like I was reading the same thing over and over..... Not sure if you are talking about me spending $250, it was actually around $175. I bought a complete set of Koni sportlines on koni red struts with mounts for $80 local(guy had them sitting in his garage for years), but one of the konis was blown and original owner bought a stock strut to replace it(which he said was only on the car a month, it was also blown). I then found 2 front koni reds on here for $90 shipped and I needed rear shock bushings, $5 locally. I took mounts all apart and cleaned them up nice, painted front struts black, replaced the bushings, set the struts. Made them look like new and glad with the results. I would of rather d specs or yellows but for less than $200 I cant complain.

I too have wanted to lower the car since I bought it, I would probably not spend $1000 because I am cheap like many of us are. But I didn't start a thread bitching about the prices of aftermarket stuff and bashing the cavalier, it is a good cheap car that gets me from point a to point b and I've had fun putting a little bit of money into the car to make it funner to drive.
GM cheaped out on the cavalier so people could buy it for a affordable price. Not everyone can afford to buy corvettes or esclades so GM built cavaliers and cobalts, etc...

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:48 PM

Deja vu.

Do people even look at post dates anymore?

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:48 PM
c b wrote:i also wish slamming the cavi was alot cheaper...
i did a 5/3 drop on my 91 blazer for about 400 (2" front spindles, 2" front springs, 3" blocks in the rear)
and my 2000 s10, 2" spindles in the front and 3" blocks in the back. for $110 used parts off a friend.
oh well. its the way she goes

Spndle lift vs coil spring & strut for ya. Spindles being your drop on a stiffer suspension. These cars run springs and struts on all 4 corners, comfy ride too because of it, but not cheap to change out.

James Cahill wrote:

Deja vu.

Do people even look at post dates anymore?

:lol:

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search