What's needed to lift my car? - Page 4 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What's needed to lift my car?
Tuesday, December 06, 2011 7:01 AM
I chose to rock a lowered VW... lol

In all seriousness though, I really need to go pull some N body springs and compare them to stock J springs.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:33 AM
Once I finish stripping the red cav. I'll see how bad the rockers are, and possibly rally cross it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 11, 2012 6:58 AM
Back from the dead.
Anyone lift up a cav since it was last discussed? I have been toying with the idea of using the sunfire to do some rallying instead of trying to part it and sell and start with something new. I had a couple thoughts on lifting it up.
A. do the irs swap and instead of cutting the strut use the lumina spring and strut with a custom mount. then run lumina springs in the front like the Moab. Plus side would be irs and bigger discs but on the downside I'm worried it might not be worth the hassle or money.
B. keep the rear axle with the existing saturn brakes and keep the d specs. I would run h techs with custom mounts 1.5 inch lift rear and 2.5 inch lift front. positive would be i would be half inch higher than stock ride height with a more agressive spring. Cant think of any down side.

Thoughts?
Monday, June 11, 2012 7:15 AM
B would be easier and cheaper. I do not think anyone has done this at all.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, June 11, 2012 7:50 PM
have not done it, am not going to do it. wish i could have but life got in the way.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:45 AM
Still think this would be fun...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:17 AM
Agreed. Could be a lot of fun to drive around. Think of all the snow driving we could do!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:48 AM
Spacers. For the rear only, but if you do that and figure out the lumina struts and springs in the front with camber bolts, you could be in business. I wish someone actually did this back in the day. I'd love to see it!

Also, looks like it came with leather seats. The other picture shows that it's definitely got some extra lift in the rear with 17s. Clicky

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:57 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:35 AM
Hey blucavvy,
We have a couple options for you to lift your cavalier please give us a call at 877-995-4382 our check us out at www.liftabrand.com
Thanks liftabrand
Monday, April 15, 2013 7:57 AM
Kinda sad when you're spamming a FWD car forum to sell lift kits.

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:30 AM
James Cahill wrote:Kinda sad when you're spamming a FWD car forum to sell lift kits.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Friday, April 19, 2013 9:12 AM
James Cahill wrote:Kinda sad when you're spamming an 8 year obsolete platform car forum to sell lift kits.
Fixed.

And ROFL

Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:09 AM

here's my plan on how this could be accomplished... basically just make a spacer for the front on either side... should give you a 2 inch lift or so.

doing this you can keep stock struts in front. change the spring to whatever you want.
could prolly even use konis if you wanted to... not sure if they end up making the overall strut body shorter tho... would kind of negate what is trying to be accomplished here

the subframe... I'm beginning to think it won't work to just simply space it down... two of the bolts are on an extreme angle holding it on. spacing it downwards will cause the holes in the subframe vs the holes on the body to no longer align. hmm..
maybe relocate the lower control arm underneath the front subframe and weld on new support brackets for the relocation.

should net a bit more front ground clearance as well....

Friday, July 05, 2013 4:30 PM
When this was bumped I was hopping someone was doing this lol.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 9:54 AM
me too, my last post in this thread was 5 days before my wedding so needless to say my money and time were wrapped up elsewhere, and now i live in an army barracks so no garage to work out of, and being pretty recently divorced i'm still paying off certain things that take away any chance of doing anything other than basic maintenance to the cav. As i said in my last post life has kind of gotten in the way with what i wanted to do with it. At this point it's just a way to get from point a to point b.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 7:37 PM
Reviving once more. Drew up a little spacer that I think would do well with this idea, however my idea is a little more than the MOAB Cav (which i just found out about). Not getting into details because of want of wanting to do this and major lack of funds. Anyways onto the picture.

This should help keep the car from having cv issues because it's only 1.5" and give enough clearance for some sort of meaty rubber. Just a thought.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:15 PM
That's my plan. Because there aren't any problems dropping 1.5" I don't see any problems raising it the same height. I'm going to throw some stock springs on my d-specs and make up some custom spacers. Probably 1.5 in the front and 1 in the back to try and level it out. With a roof rack, some sweet urethane mud flaps and some aggressive tires it should look pretty sweet.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:09 AM
Monday, August 19, 2013 3:13 AM
Shane, what Y3llow and PJ posted is a much better solution.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, August 19, 2013 3:23 AM
Lol I just did a search and posted some results lol

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:01 AM
There are a number of ways to accomplish this. I'm surprized no one has actually done any of them yet.

The spacers like Y3llowCav posted
The lovely drawing PJ posted illustrates (great artwork, BTW--haha)
Actually welding extension flanges on the struts.
Coilovers with longer springs (might require mounts that push the rode down further to avoid overextention)
Extended shock mounts on the rear axle beam

As with everything, budget will come into play.
If you have access to a welder, 2, 3, and 5 would be cheap and fairly easy.

I'd love to actually see someone follow through with it.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:34 AM
PJ, I can't imagine you would need to space the subframe down if you're only lifting 1 inch or so right? Then again, if anyone has replaced stock struts before they know that the stock height spring/strut assembly barely fits in there. I'm wondering if you could even line up and bolt to the knuckle correctly if you used some sort of spacer on the top. Your bottom mount spacer idea may be better because you could "custom" bend them until they actually line up correctly with the bolt holes in the knuckle. I think camber plates might also be a must to get the positive camber out.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:19 AM
I suggested that merely as a no-holds-barred "I want to keep maximum suspension travel and ground clearance" solution.

however, just to update this, I have a beater car that I plan on using this winter.
my sunfire sedan... aka the sh!tfire

I just replaced the heater core in it last night (yay, heat!)

I want to try and fab up my front strut-spacer idea sometime in the near future to see how it works out in front.

I also have bassett racing rims picked out, and planning on running some beefy 215 75r15 tires on them.

$300 for all 4... sweet ass price. 15 x 8 with a 15mm et... so they'll space out about 2 1/4" farther than normal at each wheel... 4.5" wider track than stock

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:52 AM
PJ, I fully support this sh!tfireness.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:59 AM
So you're still going with the spacer on the bottom idea? Interested to see how it works out!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search