Popping while turning wheel - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Popping while turning wheel
Friday, November 08, 2013 11:24 AM
It just started this morning. I did a little searching and from what I can tell it seems to be the strut bearing. The sound is coming from the driver side strut. It only does it when I turn. I had someone turn my wheel and I was looking at the spring and it seemed like it was getting a bit of resistance. It would creak slowly then it would pop. You can also feel the pop when you put your hand on the strut tower. Does this seem like the strut bearing?

Re: Popping while turning wheel
Friday, November 08, 2013 11:27 AM
Sounds like it to me. They go out pretty easy and tend to be overlooked.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, November 08, 2013 11:34 AM
Okay thanks and thank you for the quick answer. So should I replace it as soon as I can, or just wait until I do the rest if the suspension(should be in a few months)?

Friday, November 08, 2013 11:40 AM
It's relatively rare that they actually explode so you may be able to wait a little. Trust me, you'll know when it's time.

On another note, you may also want to check on the intermediate steering shaft. They're known to go bad due to a lack of grease on the factory part. The bolts holding it tight come loose sometimes too. Every J I ever had has had that problem. You can feel it in the wheel when stopped or at slow speeds.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, November 08, 2013 11:46 AM
I didn't really notice any feeling in the wheel, but I may have been to focused in trying to find the noise. Ill check for any feeling when I head out later tonight. Is the steering shaft a hard fix?

Friday, November 08, 2013 11:59 AM
Haven't done mine yet. Seems like you'll have to stand on your head to get it but it shouldn't be impossible. For starters I'd just check the bolt on either end go make sure they are tight.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, November 08, 2013 12:45 PM
I'm about 100% sure it is the strut mount.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, November 08, 2013 1:07 PM
So if its the strut mount would I still be okay waiting to replace it when I replace my struts?

Friday, November 08, 2013 5:45 PM
Also, how do I check the steering shaft? I did a quick search and couldn't find any threads about it. I have no idea what I am supposed to look for

Friday, November 22, 2013 7:29 PM
Well I found out that the popping sound might not be from the strut bearing. After jacking the car up and taking a look I have discovered that my spring is broken

Saturday, November 23, 2013 11:08 AM
Whoa! Glad you found it before something bad happened.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search