My Saturn rear disc swap - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Monday, September 22, 2014 11:16 AM



John, how in the hell did you get the ends of your ebrake cables into the slot for the caliper arm? I could not pull the cable out long enough to thread it into the slot.









Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Monday, September 22, 2014 3:28 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:




John, how in the hell did you get the ends of your ebrake cables into the slot for the caliper arm? I could not pull the cable out long enough to thread it into the slot.


2 things. 1 pull really fing hard. 2 I cut roughly 2 of the coils as well. It is a real bitch.



FU Tuning



Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:16 AM
I cut three coils, and no dice at all.





Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:15 AM
Eat your spinach Mike. Then pull harder.

Sorry that doesn't help at all but I had to.



Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:40 PM
Pulling harder didn't work either. lol





Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Tuesday, December 02, 2014 9:56 AM
So if understand correctly, correct me if I'm wrong, all you need for this swap is caliper bracket, caliper, pads, rotors, and some ss brake lines. Do you need new bolts for the hub or anything?


Built and boosted 2.2 ohv
Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Tuesday, December 02, 2014 5:34 PM
Levi McClinton wrote:

So if understand correctly, correct me if I'm wrong, all you need for this swap is caliper bracket, caliper, pads, rotors, and some ss brake lines. Do you need new bolts for the hub or anything?


When I bought my Caliper bracket it came with longer better bolts.



FU Tuning



Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Wednesday, December 03, 2014 3:21 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:

Levi McClinton wrote:

So if understand correctly, correct me if I'm wrong, all you need for this swap is caliper bracket, caliper, pads, rotors, and some ss brake lines. Do you need new bolts for the hub or anything?


When I bought my Caliper bracket it came with longer better bolts.
Same with mine.





Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Wednesday, December 03, 2014 3:24 PM
Where did you guys get the brackets from?


Built and boosted 2.2 ohv
Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Thursday, December 03, 2015 1:28 PM
Same question.
John, how come you don't go with the bracket from Mr. QUICK. I am looking for a set.


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Thursday, December 03, 2015 4:54 PM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:

Same question.
John, how come you don't go with the bracket from Mr. QUICK. I am looking for a set.


Brackets I got were the first design. I had them prior to the Mr. Quick brackets.



FU Tuning




Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Friday, December 04, 2015 5:29 AM
Gotcha. Can you tell me where you got the 1st design? I have contacted Mr. Quick but no reply as of yet for his bracket.

I have found the caliper brackets (cardone) but I am not sure how about the bolt size they come with. Do you recall what caliper bracket you found?

If I am correct, his bracket allows the use of the SRT4 rotor (3MM thicker than the base neon rotor of 9MM). This 1st gen bracket uses only the base Neon rotor but the same Saturn caliper and caliper brackets that Mr. Quick's setup uses?






Edited 4 time(s). Last edited Friday, December 04, 2015 8:55 AM

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Friday, December 04, 2015 4:24 PM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:

Gotcha. Can you tell me where you got the 1st design? I have contacted Mr. Quick but no reply as of yet for his bracket.

I have found the caliper brackets (cardone) but I am not sure how about the bolt size they come with. Do you recall what caliper bracket you found?

If I am correct, his bracket allows the use of the SRT4 rotor (3MM thicker than the base neon rotor of 9MM). This 1st gen bracket uses only the base Neon rotor but the same Saturn caliper and caliper brackets that Mr. Quick's setup uses?


This first design was made by OEM/Jeffie.

They were designed to use saturn rotors which are 4 lug, but as my pictures show I redrilled them.



FU Tuning



Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Friday, December 04, 2015 5:38 PM
I see. That's why you drilled the rotors. I definitely want to go the SRT4 rotor route. Your SS cable is 21 inches or so? Just a normal SS brake line or did you have to custom change an end ?


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Saturday, December 05, 2015 5:22 AM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:

I see. That's why you drilled the rotors. I definitely want to go the SRT4 rotor route. Your SS cable is 21 inches or so? Just a normal SS brake line or did you have to custom change an end ?


Length I'm not sure, but it was for a stock J setup.



FU Tuning



Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Saturday, December 05, 2015 6:41 AM
Thanks John!


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:29 AM
John - If you're SS brake line was for a stock J setup does that mean the caliper brake lines are the same (J-body and Saturn?). I have my rear SS line and if it all bolts up as it did for Jesse (http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&t=163026&a=1) then I should be good to go. He used a rubber line that came with the Saturn caliper which connected directly to the metal chassis brake line. If my rear jbody SS caliper line is long enough and the metal chassis brake line is also long enough, then I should be good to go?


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:56 PM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:

John - If you're SS brake line was for a stock J setup does that mean the caliper brake lines are the same (J-body and Saturn?). I have my rear SS line and if it all bolts up as it did for Jesse (http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&t=163026&a=1) then I should be good to go. He used a rubber line that came with the Saturn caliper which connected directly to the metal chassis brake line. If my rear jbody SS caliper line is long enough and the metal chassis brake line is also long enough, then I should be good to go?


I''m sorry I was wrong. Been a while since I did this swap.

I bought SS lines for this swap. I actually took out my SS stock replacements. I connected the SS line for the saturn swap directly to my hard line coming off the body.

Some people keep the stock J rubber line, or SS for the stock setup, I did not.

I hope that clears things up I do not know what I was thinking.



FU Tuning



Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:20 AM
Thanks John! I am trying to get in touch with DSMSKYLINE to find out what kind of SS line I need. I think the direct connection you did is the best way to go. I purchased Mr. Quick's brackets in blue. Looking forward to doing this swap!


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Sunday, December 20, 2015 6:46 PM
Any tech questions relating to the first design, I can more than likely answer them, I've been running them the longest.

Oh, and I designed them then sent the info to Jeffie and he produced them. I had the original brackets made for me and I'm sure I could have more made if someone wanted to go that route instead of mr quicks( which are a great design).




Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Monday, December 21, 2015 6:09 AM
Thanks man. Nice!

The only thing I need to figure out are the brake lines. Since I have not seen my car in over a year, I have to guess what I need to do. I like what John did (SS line connected to the chassis metal line straight to the Saturn Caliper). I guess my rear SS lines are no good.


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"





Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Monday, December 21, 2015 6:19 AM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:

Thanks man. Nice!

The only thing I need to figure out are the brake lines. Since I have not seen my car in over a year, I have to guess what I need to do. I like what John did (SS line connected to the chassis metal line straight to the Saturn Caliper). I guess my rear SS lines are no good.


I was looking into the lines last night and came across one from Earl's via Jegs. The price isn't too bad, plus you can get the lines along with the adapters and banjo fittings. I know the thread of the body fitting is M10x1.0 and the Saturn caliper inlet hole is M10x1.5. I roughly say that length would be about 22 inches, but I need to measure from the body to end of the axle to make sure.


Also, Mr. Quick, I have PMed you.


"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Monday, December 21, 2015 9:01 AM
Great. Thanks for the info. There is a post here somewhere that talks about the fittings needed. I'll have to find it. The price is great btw. 22 inches seems to be the correct length from what I have been reading. Mr. Quick has only the black and blue brackets that are 5/8 inch thick FYI. He's a busy guy, but he will get back to you at some point. Best thing to do is email him!


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Sunday, January 17, 2016 4:07 PM
Still need this 22 inch SS line. Will be checking on the fittings so I can order it custom from JEGS, I think that is what I need to do.

1999 Saturn Caliper and caliper brackets for MR. Quick's bracket? Can I use 97 and 98 years too? SC2 and SL2? Just need to clear this up.


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Monday, January 18, 2016 8:43 AM
Nevermind. Found the info the piecing together the brake line (22 inch) and what calipers etc to get.


"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"




Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search