hydra-boost conversion - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hydra-boost conversion
Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:36 PM
Anyone here have experience converting over to GM Hydra-boost brake booster. If you aren't familiar, they use the same pump as the power steering to do the same thing as intake manifold vacuum for power brakes. Works for engines with a lot of cam overlap. They are common in tight fits and diesel trucks.

I've been told the GM Astro van booster is the one to use for the Cav as it is "bolt on". $85 for a reman unit at Advance.

thanks,
dennis

Re: hydra-boost conversion
Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:02 PM
Yes they bolt on. Someone Did it on v6z24.com on a 2nd gen. I was attempting this 2 years ago and gave up as I wouldn't benefit from it.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, January 24, 2014 8:56 PM
It's "hydro", not "hydra".

It's not a bolt on ordeal. The Astro van bracket does not have the same firewall bolt pattern as the J. I got the furthest I know of with the swap (all plumbing done and modified bracket built). I ditched it because I went to manual steering.

There really is no performance gain to be had as I doubt anyone here has enough cam to reduce vacuum that much. The cost and effort outweigh the benefits.

Monday, January 27, 2014 1:03 PM
James Cahill wrote:It's "hydro", not "hydra".

It's not a bolt on ordeal. The Astro van bracket does not have the same firewall bolt pattern as the J. I got the furthest I know of with the swap (all plumbing done and modified bracket built). I ditched it because I went to manual steering.

There really is no performance gain to be had as I doubt anyone here has enough cam to reduce vacuum that much. The cost and effort outweigh the benefits.

Thanks for clarifying the spelling...I was wondering.
I'm not needing to do this because of vacuum issues (yet). I've got a modified cylinder head that the intake plenum would interfere with.

thanks for your info...good stuff
dennis
Monday, January 27, 2014 9:26 PM
Clearance would be the only real reason to do this. PM me if you need the parts. I still have it all including the difficult to find banjo adapters.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search