adjustable coil overs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
adjustable coil overs
Monday, February 17, 2014 11:10 AM
hey,
i bought some adjustable coil overs on rebuilt struts for cheap off a bud, he had in his cavalier that he got rid of.
i didnt put them on my car yet, because the spring/coil is loose or just floating on the strut. this doesnt seem right, me and the guys at the shop were looking at them and thought the spring should be under tension. like a stock regular spring on a strut assembly.
i found this pic,

this looks the same as what i have but mine are on the struts.
is it normal for the springs to be loose like that? will it change when they're installed or whats up here?
just curious, dont have much experience with adjustable coil overs

Re: adjustable coil overs
Monday, February 17, 2014 2:57 PM
Those look like cheap ebay coil overs and PLEASE, PLEASE tell me these are not going on stock struts?????? If you are going to lower your car, do it the right/proper and most of all SAFE way. Ground controls make coil overs if that's what you want but they are $400 new I think? If you want complete coil overs (TEIN or STD's etc.. be prepared to spend over $1000) if you say they are cheap, thats probably cause your bud bought them cheap off ebay. Do some research on this site, there is TONS of info on here about lowering and using stock struts with lowering springs, cutting coils, used ebay coil overs, etc.... spend atleast 2-3 hours reading and you should be well educated after.

To answer your question, with my sportlines, the rear springs were loose on the struts, you can change them without a spring compressor, Some have said they could change the front's because there is very little tension on them, however I had a compressor so I used it, it didn't require much compression to tighten up the mount though.

Another question, did your bud get rid of his cavalier or was it in a roll over/accident like some others on here that have used ebay junk, cut springs, or lowering springs on stock struts?

Also check out classifieds on here if you are looking for good deals on used suspension parts.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:32 PM
Those kind of coilovers will be loose on the strut when not installed. The should not be under pressure when just sitting there off the car. Everything will sandwich together when under the weight of the car. I would not run them on factory struts or factory replacement struts. At the least Tokico HP struts. They are unadjustable but can handle a drop and can be had on ebay for like $260

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:56 AM
Those are not coil-overs. They are cheap pieces of metal that someone tossed together who has done no R&D on them to even know if they would work.

Now these are coil-overs.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:11 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Those are not coil-overs. They are cheap pieces of metal that someone tossed together who has done no R&D on them to even know if they would work.

Now these are coil-overs.

I wish there was a meme, for thats not a knife, this is a knife from Crocidile Dundee. Thats not a coilover, this is a coilover! (kidding, tiens are awesome as well)

I see your Tiens and Ill call with my STD R5's

But yes, those are cheap ebay half ass coilovers. Just pieces of crap metal.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:46 AM
I'm a fan of BC Coilovers personally.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:53 AM
I think I need a box of kleenex......

Makes my suspension look like crap.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:06 AM
Those are all over ebay and are meant to have the perch welded to a strut (would need to be a very nice aftermarket strut). As said they're junk, have no r&d behind them, and I STRONGLY suggest not using them...ever. You got them cheap because they are cheap and probably don't even fit right. All that being said, my h&r springs are also loose on the struts both front and rear when uninstalled. I changed front mounts with no spring compressor just a few months ago.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:22 AM
I plan on BC coilovers on the eco for its next suspension setup.

Saturday, March 08, 2014 5:55 PM
this is a car I bought for $400 still have less then 4000 into it. why are the cheap coils so bad? what exactly are the dangers or disadvantages? the struts are together right now with the coils on them. and I still have the stock springs and struts in my car. so no problems there
Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:36 PM
Well for starters, what brand of struts are the coils mounted on? And like stated before there is no r&d in those coil overs. The company just makes a few different sizes of coils out of the cheapest materials they can find. The spring rates could be too high or low. There's a few things that could be wrong with them. Mounted them on stock struts will be even worse as they can not handle a drop and will blow. If safety is important to you, there are 3 things to not cheap out on, tires, suspension and brakes.
Leave the stock suspension on and save for brand name stuff, I think there is some good deals in the classified section too.

Sunday, March 09, 2014 6:30 PM
Never go cheap on suspension and tires , it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to your cavys ride quality and handling capabilities!

BLACKMANTIS
Monday, March 10, 2014 12:28 PM
has their been proof of deaths or accidents due to bad struts or coils? I have 2 other projects on the go and saving for a house. no way am I spending a ton of cash to slam my winter beater I just have these stock struts with eBay coils and don't see what the big deal is. if some in has bad experience with these then i wouldn't mind hearing the stories. if poor rise quality is the biggest thing then pfft. it's a beater cavalier, I don't expect much from it
Monday, March 10, 2014 12:46 PM
c b wrote:has their been proof of deaths or accidents due to bad struts or coils?

YES!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, March 10, 2014 1:10 PM
Asks for advice, doesn't get the answer he wants and ignores advice.

Go ahead man, stop posting and just do it if that's what you want to do. You have our input but feel free to learn the hard way. Please post your results a year from now...if you're still alive.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, March 10, 2014 1:46 PM
I thought there were some good pictures of j bodys in roll overs from cut springs or ebay coil overs but can't seem to find any. Although I found this video, not sure why these people in the video think its funny, I have never seen a car act that bad with blown struts. I have seen some cars on the highway hit a little bump then do the 10 up/down bounces.... kind of scary but nothing like this video. But this is a good example on WHY suspension is so important...

OP, if its just a winter beater, why does it NEED to be lowered? I drive my car year round so decided to drive it this winter lowered and it was quite a bit better last year with the extra ground clearance. I have winter tires so it just pushes the snow regardless but you can tell it works a little harder than it did last winter.

Monday, March 10, 2014 2:53 PM
Unload that stuff back on ebay,and get yourself some kyb gr-2 's with stock springs and some good all season tires,and call it a day.
You'll have a fun and SAFE car.
Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:45 PM
i honestly appreciate the advice. i just cant understand why these parts would be available if they were this dangerous. i might have to drive this car more then just the winter. but if it was possible to get some lift out of the adjustables for winter, that would be sick. how about stock springs and stock struts with the adjustable parts in there?
Sunday, March 16, 2014 2:11 PM
Are you asking to use the sleeve part of the coil over on the stock springs? Take everything apart and put the sleeves up against the stock springs and you will see why they won't work. The reason why you can buy them is cause they are mass produced and cost nothing to make. There is no law that says they can not use them or sell them. Doesn't mean they are safe and someone might have them on there car with no issues for years, others might have them on there car and week later be in a fatal accident. Or you can pay the extra price to buy quality parts that cost more because of the R&D and quality control on there products, they spend lots of money making sure there product is the best and they stand behind them. The coil overs you bought was made by someone looking to make a quick buck.

Most coil overs(brand name like ground control ) come with springs that only lower the car a certain range but for example you can sometimes order custom size springs that can lift 1" or lower up to 2" or something for example...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search