1999 N body Aluminum knuckle swap question - Page 9 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 1999 N body steering knuckle question
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:28 PM
I like what I see, I would definitely want the smaller rotor setup for the DD that has stock wheels. Factory brakes on it suck after the big brakes on the other car.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:19 AM
I would be interested in the spindles, and if it's using the F-body caliper pattern, I'm assuming the N-body will be the same??? Reason I ask is because I want to clear factory wheels with the setup. For instance, using Grand Am aluminum control arms, J-body bearings, ball joints, tie rods, and axles, N-body caliper/bracket and the Celica rotor should give the same setup as the full N-swap, but enabling the use of 5X100 wheels and clearance for 15+ inch wheels.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:10 AM
^^Thats exactly what I want...
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:15 AM
Spook 427 wrote:Will these accept the abs sensors? This is awesome I've been holding out on installing my ga control arms on which ball joints to use.
I'm planning on setting these up to be able to mount the sensors as normal. The back side of the knuckle was cast with enough material to be able to machine the boss for them. Once I get a knuckle machined, I'll have a better idea on the pricing, and if the ABS option will affect it much.

Dave De Stefano wrote:This setup is still hopefully going to clear z24 wheels, right?
The F-body caliper set up will not. The N-body setup that JUCNBST is looking at should. Also, I have another setup for these that I'm working on, but I want to get the F-body one done first. I believe the other setup will be able to clear the Z and LSS rims.

JUCNBST wrote:Mr. Quick-ay idea on the pricing for that willwood rotor? I might g that route. I only looked into factory parts for the swap when I was looking into this at the begining.
Summit Racing has them for about $80 each for a plain face. Now these would require a custom hat, which would run you about $125 each, but then you would only ever need to replace the rotor itself when you needed.

Roofy wrote:...and if it's using the F-body caliper pattern, I'm assuming the N-body will be the same???...
Yes. I'm machining these so that the caliper pattern is the same, and the offset between the wheel mount face of the hub is the same as the offset of an N-body knuckle and hub.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:57 AM
I am interested in a set

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:44 PM
Very cool.

I get frustrated reading threads like these, that go on for months, because the same question gets asked over and over, because no one wants to read everything. Drives me nuts.

Anyway, I understand some of you wanting to keep the 5x100 bolt pattern because of some attachment to certain wheels, but understand that the larger wheel bearing is a lot more durable compared to the J-body one. There is a reason Mantapart and other SCCA Road course teams swapped to the larger bearings on their J and early N body cars. They lasted longer.

Anyway, nice job on the adapters, and now full cast replacements. Kinda makes me sad I moved on from Jbodies! lol

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:57 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:Very cool.

I get frustrated reading threads like these, that go on for months, because the same question gets asked over and over, because no one wants to read everything. Drives me nuts.

Anyway, I understand some of you wanting to keep the 5x100 bolt pattern because of some attachment to certain wheels, but understand that the larger wheel bearing is a lot more durable compared to the J-body one. There is a reason Mantapart and other SCCA Road course teams swapped to the larger bearings on their J and early N body cars. They lasted longer.

Anyway, nice job on the adapters, and now full cast replacements. Kinda makes me sad I moved on from Jbodies! lol

Another option is to use Nbody or F23 Cobalt wheel bearings and have them redrilled to a 5x100 bolt pattern

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:35 PM
right but then you would have to either have your rims machined out in the center or machine off the hub center on the wheel bearings. the nbodys anyway.. they are much larger.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:31 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:right but then you would have to either have your rims machined out in the center or machine off the hub center on the wheel bearings. the nbodys anyway.. they are much larger.

Right, but it depends on the wheel. I am lucky that both sets of mine have a hub bore over 70mm

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:22 AM
is the cobalt bearing really that much better?

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:13 AM
The cobalt bearing is just as large as the N-body, which is much larger than the J-body. The Cobalt bearing has a smaller hub, though (65.1 mm instead of 73.1 mm)

It should be noted that you can't just put a Cobalt hub on an N-body knuckle, because the mounting pattern is different. Much easier than the J-body hub on there, but you still need a centering ring, and the holes need to be elongated a bit. The mounting patterns for the GM 3 bolt hubs are the same bolt circle as the wheel pattern (the J-body hub mount is 3x100, N-body is 3x115, etc.)

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:35 AM
so the j-body axle fits in the cobalt bearing then?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:52 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:so the j-body axle fits in the cobalt bearing then?
No. The N-body one does. It's the part that goes through the center bore of the wheel that's smaller.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:30 AM

There are 2 5 bolt Cobalt bearings. One of the 5 bolt Cobalt bearings uses a F23 trans, while the other a F35. My thought was the larger Cobalt bearing from a F23 trans since it would have the same spline count as our cars. Yes, it would need some fab work

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:53 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:
No. The N-body one does. It's the part that goes through the center bore of the wheel that's smaller.

huh? the n-body axle doesnt fit in the j-body bearing...

Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:26 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:

huh? the n-body axle doesnt fit in the j-body bearing...
Dope slap time, Brad. LOL

The N-body axle fits the Cobalt hub.

The part that is smaller on the Cobalt hub than the N-body hub is the part that goes through the center bore of the wheel. The Cobalt is 65.1mm, the N-body is 73.1mm. The inside of the hub is the same.

As for the differences in hubs, I believe my hubs are from an SS/SC. The SS/TC may take an even larger axle shaft, but I don't know that for a fact.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 5:30 PM
Bump for updates

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:11 AM
Blwn LD9 wrote:Bump for updates

X2

Mr Quick - would your knuckle with an Fbody caliper be able to use an Sti rotor?
Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:22 AM
I don't believe so, the sti rotor is a little bit larger than the camaro rotor.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:23 AM
Hey guys. Sorry, no updates. I've had a ton of stuff going lately, and this just keeps getting put on the back burner.
I'll try to get one done and assembled soon. I just have to coordinate with the shop to be there.

As for the STi rotor, I don't have the dimensions handy, but I believe it's only slightly larger, so that's a potential combination that I will explore. Ultimately, though, the Wilwood rotor will be far better because it will be a big weight savings over the STi rotor or F-body rotor.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:55 PM
im doing an nwf swap on my silver z... basically all i got left is rotors to buy. wonder if they make a w-body wilwood two piece job. that'd be bad ass....

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:58 PM
I posted before about using aluminum 00 up spindles and 4 piston 2010 calipers ctsv/z06/ camaro ss and 15in ceramic gt500 rotors. Just look up my post. Probably a lot lighter then 99 and lower stuff and a lot better.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:00 PM
Here

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=160069&t=160069

Someone should make it a sticky

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:48 AM
Rob I've seen you post that up before, my whole reason for going to 11in Toyota is the ability to keep my 15in snow tires and steelies while still increasing the handling and braking performance of my car. Plus your best bet is to keep linking for others to see. Stickies don't happen that easy it seems.

Friday, January 25, 2013 11:05 AM
I'm Just trying to help people save money. The calipers with brackets are $250 a side and rotors are only $25. So you can do the whole swap for under $700 if you shop around. That is some huge brakes for very cheap.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search