Lowering Springs help!!!! - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Lowering Springs help!!!!
Monday, June 09, 2014 6:08 PM
Carl Calvin wrote:Can Chris use Kyb gr-2 shocks and struts with lowering springs? These are a higher quality oem replacement. Just wondering for those of us on a bugdet.

I mean if TEIN says the springs are designed for OEM replacement struts and I know the gr-2's are OEM replacements, it would make sense that I would be able to. Unless TEIN is falsely advertising their products on their website. Mr. Quick what do you have to say on the subject? You seem to know a whole lot more than anyone else so what's your opinion on TEIN s techs?

Got heem!

Monday, June 09, 2014 6:44 PM
Chris, those are salesmen, trying to get you to buy their springs.
The guys on here know real world situations and know jbodies' suspension.
I too like Megan springs,mainly for the orange color, matches sunburst orange kinda. But i'm taking their advice and going with kyb agx.
Monday, June 09, 2014 6:53 PM
Carl Calvin wrote:Chris, those are salesmen, trying to get you to buy their springs.
The guys on here know real world situations and know jbodies' suspension.
I too like Megan springs,mainly for the orange color, matches sunburst orange kinda. But i'm taking their advice and going with kyb agx.

You're probably right, ill save up for some AGX's or koni yellows

Got heem!
Monday, June 09, 2014 10:22 PM
I just looked at the Tein spring rates (110/180). They're rated the same as stock. Which is surprising for a lowering spring. I still don't recommend them because last I checked, the OEM dampers have no internal bumpstop (and direct replacement ones don't either), so running a spring like that on that type of damper is going to need an external stop, or one big bump is going to destroy them. If you add an external stop, you're going to lose a bunch of travel and it will have terrible ride quality.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:55 AM
Thanks James, that does surprise me that the spring rates are the same as the stock springs

Got heem!
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:49 AM
James Cahill wrote:I just looked at the Tein spring rates (110/180). They're rated the same as stock. Which is surprising for a lowering spring. I still don't recommend them because last I checked, the OEM dampers have no internal bumpstop (and direct replacement ones don't either), so running a spring like that on that type of damper is going to need an external stop, or one big bump is going to destroy them. If you add an external stop, you're going to lose a bunch of travel and it will have terrible ride quality.
I'm going with James on this one.

I'm very surprised that a lowering spring has the same rate as stock. I know some others are closer to stock, but to have the exact same is definitely new. I'd actually be interested in trying a set to see how they are. Hell, if I still had my beater, I'd probably throw them on it. However, as James says, the travel is reduced, and you're going to want to make sure that you don't bottom them out, because you'll damage the seal, and they'll be blown.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search