Safety and Stability at High Speeds - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Safety and Stability at High Speeds
Friday, June 06, 2014 8:54 PM
Okay, so everyone on here can agree that going more than 90 mph in a cavalier can be a pretty scary moment due to the immense amount of vibration, and we can all agree that we want everyone to be safe. So at high speeds, these vibrations can cause crucial components to become loose and after a while could even cause them to crack and break. So what could be done exactly to eliminate these vibrations and make higher speeds safer? What stock parts should be replaced with performance ones to ensure that the Cay won't shake its self into pieces at high speeds? Safety is crucial!

<<Theres something addicting about a car that forces you to keep on your toes with every corner.>>

Re: Safety and Stability at High Speeds
Saturday, June 07, 2014 12:37 AM
Vibrations aren't normal. If you've got them, you need to find out what's causing them and fix it before trying to upgrade anything. Once they're fixed, you shouldn't have any problems at higher speeds.

Saturday, June 07, 2014 7:56 AM
I agree my cavy had no problem going over 90 before any of the suspension mods

Saturday, June 07, 2014 8:17 AM
Well yeah going over 90 is no problem, but I'm talking about going past 90 past the factory 107 cutoff. Would love to someday take off the speed limiter but we all know doing that with stock equipment us suicide. I want to know what needs to be switched to make speeds of around 120 safe.

<<Theres something addicting about a car that forces you to keep on your toes with every corner.>>
Monday, June 09, 2014 10:07 PM
Nothing. A factory suspension in good repair will work fine. If you want to go that fast and handle well, that's a different story. Your post is about vibrations at speed, not what to upgrade to go fast. What exactly is your goal?

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:47 PM
Kills me when I see these posts. Our cars don't start falling apart over 100 mph (unless the car is just in a bad shape).

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:27 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:Kills me when I see these posts. Our cars don't start falling apart over 100 mph (unless the car is just in a bad shape).

Agreed but there is no need to go past 88mph. I think you need to overhaul your suspension. You probably have bad bushings/ mounts or worn balljoints/ tie rod ends.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, June 13, 2014 6:01 AM
CavyHey! wrote:Well yeah going over 90 is no problem, but I'm talking about going past 90 past the factory 107 cutoff. Would love to someday take off the speed limiter but we all know doing that with stock equipment us suicide. I want to know what needs to be switched to make speeds of around 120 safe.

So what you want to know then is hypothetically IF you were to remove the limiter and afterwards IF you made it to 120 mph what would make the car safe. And the answer is absolutely nothing. Why you ask? Why don't you ask Paul walker what happens when you come to a sudden stop at those speeds..... Oh wait you can't. It's not the ride that kills you it's the tree assisted braking that will give you a real pain in the neck.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Friday, June 13, 2014 1:03 PM
All I know is that in my turbo 3 speed felt good up to 121 while I was tuning.
Now my 5 speed can easily get over 135.
You need to isolate your problem, before doing any upgrades.
Attachments
Log.jpg (28k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search