BC coilovers rub bad - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BC coilovers rub bad
Tuesday, October 07, 2014 10:53 AM
So here the setup 17x8 et45. I have 25mm rear spacers because my intentions were to get rid of that "sucked in" look the rear tires have. Well had the whole car lowered to probably 2" gap (between fender and tire). Went to back out of the driveway and the rear tire literally got sandwiched into the fender. It made a nice noise. So now my question is, can I crank up the rear preload to make it so the suspension doesn't droop as much in the rear? It was rubbing when trying to dive it too. I don't get how all these cares are hellaflush with their tires out past the fenders and don't have this problem. Any help would be great.

Re: BC coilovers rub bad
Tuesday, October 07, 2014 12:01 PM
Well there are a few questions here... 25mm is a lot. I have to run 10mm spacers in the front of my car because of the wilwoods, as I have a pretty good dish on my wheels.

Tuesday, October 07, 2014 12:08 PM
Have you rolled your fenders?

Tuesday, October 07, 2014 12:52 PM
Fenders are not rolled. Maybe this is my only option. The 25mm spacers don't make the tires stick out past the fenders it's more like flush with the fenders. I was just trying to figure out if maybe I decreased the amount of bump travel if they maybe wouldn't rub anymore. Also the passenger rear tends to sit lower than the drivers side. I had to adjust it more to sit even. Is this because of the gas tank or is the shock blown?
Tuesday, October 07, 2014 3:17 PM
Increasing preload means it will ride more firm. You can go that route if you aren't concerned with ride quality.

Personally I'd roll/pull the fenders first and then adjust accordingly.

Tuesday, October 07, 2014 6:25 PM
I put probably a half inch of preload on each side in the rear and it rides incredibly stiff but regardless I think I'll have to roll and pull like your saying so I can actually let the suspension travel. I can live with no spacers in the rear but the fronts rub big time on dips in the road. I have no spacers in the front so maybe it's time to roll all 4 corners. Also I'm running a 225/45r17 should I switch to a 215?
Tuesday, October 07, 2014 6:38 PM
I'm running a 245/40/17 on a 17x8 + 35 dropped on teins with just a roll and a pull.

Unless you are crazy low, you should be fine with a roll and pull. A bit of negative camber helps too. (1-2 degrees nothing crazy)

Tuesday, October 07, 2014 7:19 PM
Follow the bc preload video on youtube.

Your going to have to roll your fenders. Not really the coilovers fault
Tuesday, October 07, 2014 7:57 PM
I preloaded them just like the video to begin with but I didnt wanna do anymore damage than I've already done. So I preloaded them in the mean time. Looks like I have no choice but to have them rolled. If I can even find a place to do it up here.
Tuesday, October 07, 2014 8:09 PM
Tuesday, October 07, 2014 8:28 PM
That actually is really cheap! I just might buy that but it seems kinda like allot of money for one time use, also im assuming my paint is gonna chip no matter what?

Tuesday, October 07, 2014 9:12 PM
Not if you heat the paint up 1st and keep it warm while you are rolling.

Tuesday, October 07, 2014 9:18 PM
Tinkles, your car is exactly how I want mine stanced in your sig. That's the perfect amount of wheel gap. I know your offset is probably higher than what I have but do you have yours rolled? Just outta curiosity
Wednesday, October 08, 2014 4:13 AM
Tinkles rear is rolled/pulled. We did his car at my garage. His front used to be but now he's running Toyo fenders up front.

With the roller, a lot of people rent them out after they use them to help defray the cost.

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 4:34 AM
My wheels are 18x7.5 with 35mm offset. The rear has 1/2" hub spacers, but could use another 1/4". My front is widened too with unmodded aluminum N-body control arms. I need to roll my toyo fenders because they cut my tires on bad bumps.

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 7:38 AM
I feel ya, it's like the worst sound ever when they rub. My fronts look like string cheese on the shoulders of the tires. I was looking around and found that you can actually rent a fender roller with a heat gun on ebay for $40. That's for a 5 day rental. Of course you have to put down a deposite but I'm able to do that. So that's what I will most likely do. My front passenger fender got really wavy on the lip from a bad rub on the freeway in a hard corner. I wonder if it would straighten that out.
Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:03 AM
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I was looking at eastwood's pdf instructions. I was about to buy the roller when I read that it said never attempt to roll 2 ply rear fenders. That's what we have. So did you guys do it anyway?
Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:32 PM
Guys have done it....but there is a very good chance youll crack the paint.
Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:33 PM
Akizzem wrote:So here the setup 17x8 et45. I have 25mm rear spacers because my intentions were to get rid of that "sucked in" look the rear tires have. Well had the whole car lowered to probably 2" gap (between fender and tire). Went to back out of the driveway and the rear tire literally got sandwiched into the fender. It made a nice noise. So now my question is, can I crank up the rear preload to make it so the suspension doesn't droop as much in the rear? It was rubbing when trying to dive it too. I don't get how all these cares are hellaflush with their tires out past the fenders and don't have this problem. Any help would be great.

I don't have a droop issue on the rear of my LSS, but then again I'm going for a 1.5" drop overall. Plus I'm running P225/50R16's on stock LSS wheels. I do plan on switching to a 16x7 wheel in the future. Also I would recommend setting the preload to BC's specs and adjust the ride height via the lower mount. And also you will need to roll the fenders.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:06 PM
My tears rolled with no cracking. Patience and a heat gun are key to getting it done.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:28 PM
My fronts cracked like crazy...

But I used a hammer in the costco parking lot because my tires were getting shredded.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:41 PM
Lol... Rears not tears.

I did all 4 corners with the Eastwood roller and a hair dryer with no issues.

Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:05 PM
you need to roll your fenders. all the hellaflush people rub like a mofo and all have major roll/pulls.

Sunday, October 26, 2014 6:58 PM
how would you add camber to the rear on a cavalier?
Sunday, October 26, 2014 7:24 PM
Adding shims is the only way to get rear camber on a solid axle rear end but they won\'t give you enough to be noticeable. And I\'m deciding whether I should buy a roller or rent one on eBay.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search