2010 Camaro SS/ZL1 Brembo brake swap (n-body suspension) - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2010 Camaro SS/ZL1 Brembo brake swap (n-body suspension)
Wednesday, August 06, 2014 4:15 PM
So ladies and gentleman, i have been doing a lot of research on doing this swap. i have a lot of time in gathering all the information for this and i'm curious who all would be interested in it.
so here are some basics of the swap. first and foremost you HAVE to have N-body front and rear suspension and a minimum of 18" wheels. the offset matters as well but it varies due to spoke design, but with the proper spacers you might be able to make it work for your wheels.

Now lets talk about your options for calipers, you have a few options for the fronts, all of these options can be found on amazon for very cheap and brand new from ACdelco real Brembo's just repackaged by ACdelco. i will post the links below the pictures.
First option is the Camaro 4 piston brembos

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-92244288-Caliper-Without-Braket/dp/B005583OC8/ref=sr_1_138?ie=UTF8&qid=1407363385&sr=8-138&keywords=acdelco+caliper

The next option will be the CTS-V 4 piston brembo (same caliper, different color and decal cheaper as well)

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2287-Caliper-Assembly/dp/B0010G0HP6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Now these next two options are again the same caliper just have different colors and decals. but this option also requires special work and different parts to make it work, so if your interested in going the route of six piston front calipers let me know and ill explain what needs to be done.

here is the Camaro and CTS-V six piston brembo.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-2521-Service-Front-Caliper/dp/B0055AT7PE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1407367059&sr=8-4&keywords=acdelco+caliper

that pretty much covers the front rotors, now the rears i don't need to show they look identical to the 4 piston fronts, they are also brembos.

Now how to make this work, the front will bolt up directly to you front n-body knuckle and with the use of a 2005 mustang GT500 rotor, it should bolt right up, i would not run this just yet, it is still in testing. i would not run the front brakes without the rears being installed either. your braking would be way off. the rear rotors will not bolt directly up to the n-body rear knuckle, so i am working with Mr.Quick and having him make me a set of brackets, i was curious if anyone else would be interested in a set of these. now again this will only work on cavs that have been swapped to n-body front and rear suspension. You will need too buy the zzp stainless Steele braided brake lines instead of the rubber hoses. the e-brake will not be functional either, at least until i find a solution.

that's a brief description of the swap, i have a lot more information to share i'm just waiting to see how much interest this will spark to see if its even worth my or Mr.Quick's time. i would not suggest doing this on your car just yet, none of this is a guarantee. i haven't even completed this on my car yet, i dont know how the master cyl will keep up. i have to do some testing just yet. i got the idea from some guys on a w-body forum and it went from there, but let me know what you just think and if any of you wold be interested in a set of brackets for the rear!

Re: 2010 Camaro SS/ZL1 Brembo brake swap (n-body suspension)
Wednesday, August 06, 2014 6:49 PM
Cool plan. I think it might end up being too much brake for the car though. Unless it's all for show.

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 6:58 PM
Your brakes can never be too big, you just have to adjust your braking style to compensate for how much better they work.
I have had these on my car for about 2 years now, braking is like second nature.
I also have an adjustable proportioning valve to adjust the bias, it's all about how you set it up.
Good luck, I love seeing people step away from off the shelf type upgrades.
Have fun with it!
Attachments
Car.jpg (26k)
Both Brakes.jpg (31k)
Front Brakes.jpg (26k)
Rear Brakes.jpg (23k)
Rear Bracket.jpg (29k)

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 8:11 PM
looking good bobby! and james a lot of it has to do with the looks but a lot also has to do with the performance. i may even end up using the six pistons down the road, that is all for show. lol
Thursday, August 07, 2014 7:52 PM
Brake pads are designed to have the correct 'bite' at a certain temperature. If the pads never see that temperature, they never work properly. There is such a thing as too much brake, and there is plenty of data out there to prove it. Compensating by adjusting the way you brake, or by changing bias to make it feel correct is only covering up the actual problem of too much brake.

I don't mean to start an argument, but there really is such a thing as too much (I will even admit that my car has too much).

Friday, August 08, 2014 2:15 PM
Yes you are correct and that's why for this swap I would recommend napa semi metallic pads. These pads will warm up much faster. Something like hawk or maybe even stock brembo pads wouldn't warm up enough.
Friday, November 14, 2014 7:15 AM
Really? I posted the how to for this a few years ago.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, November 14, 2014 8:47 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Really? I posted the how to for this a few years ago.

Was a discussion thread on the facebook page called J-body international about big brake kits last night.
I'll just assume this is more 'reposting' of that same discussion.

I'd just take it as "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" the ones that have done the research before hand know you first suggested this years ago.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:48 AM
James Cahill wrote:Brake pads are designed to have the correct 'bite' at a certain temperature. If the pads never see that temperature, they never work properly. There is such a thing as too much brake, and there is plenty of data out there to prove it. Compensating by adjusting the way you brake, or by changing bias to make it feel correct is only covering up the actual problem of too much brake.

I don't mean to start an argument, but there really is such a thing as too much (I will even admit that my car has too much).

I'll whole heartedly agree with this. If you can lock your tires at your highest on track speed you don't need more brake. Anything more is just going to make your braking system more binary and harder to modulate.

There are some basic calculations a person could do to actually calculate where to start with a braking system.

Sunday, November 16, 2014 12:39 PM
Yes and no... Larger rotors definetely net more thermal capacity and less brake fade but any of the off the shelf kits are more than adequate for any track use a j will ever see.

You certainly don't need 6+ Pistons or 15" rotors...

Sunday, November 16, 2014 3:23 PM
might as a well get a camaro

Sunday, November 16, 2014 3:52 PM
joe satriani wrote:might as a well get a camaro

I have a camaro.

Monday, November 17, 2014 10:48 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:

I have a camaro.

Ditto

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, November 17, 2014 7:34 PM
Ditto ditto.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:49 AM
Might as well DIAF troll.

Saturday, November 22, 2014 1:06 PM
strat81 wrote:Yes and no... Larger rotors definetely net more thermal capacity and less brake fade but any of the off the shelf kits are more than adequate for any track use a j will ever see.

You certainly don't need 6+ Pistons or 15" rotors...

Agreed, but I am in to see progress. This should be a nice as my setup

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Sunday, November 23, 2014 1:29 PM
lmao
Monday, November 24, 2014 5:23 AM
I wonder if 16s would clear my 2013s V6 normal disk brakes. They are much larger than than the stock brakes.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:07 PM
Forgot to check this. Yes the front brakes were suggested but the rear brakes were never done from what I hear so I'm going to be putting it together with the help of MR Quick making brackets.
Saturday, July 18, 2015 9:06 PM
great swap how did you finish the rear swap?
Saturday, July 18, 2015 9:12 PM
Wendell Monroe wrote:great swap how did you finish the rear swap?

He parted it out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search