Willwood Rear Brakes - Possible? Have been tried? - Page 5 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Willwood Rear Brakes - Possible? Have been tried?
Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:27 AM
Very VERY nicely done, sir.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:21 AM
wow looks incredible....truely love it

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:37 AM
zdoubledozen [ Matt ] wrote:Almost done....Just need to finish the E Brake function.... will have part numbers up once it's done and tested

I went a different route then above... and bought the cost wayyyy down.

It's direct bolt on, no cutting or modifying.
Just out of curiosity, did you end up using the 04 Subaru kit rear hats and e-brake setup?

The kit looks good. Nice work.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 6:15 PM
Thanks guys,

[quote=Mr. QuickJust out of curiosity, did you end up using the 04 Subaru kit rear hats and e-brake setup?

The kit looks good. Nice work.

2000-04 subaru... absolutely. Thanks for your help by having me start there. The offset is really tight to the rotor but has clearence with only a 1/4" offset from OEM, and I hoped to use Wilwood mounting brackets, but I had to come up with a custom bracket.
So far the caliper angle is dialed in at 40 deg from 0 forward, but I might bring it down to 35 deg to match the fronts and to allow for a better bleed out.
For the E-brake... I'm using the mechanical spot caliper, and linking it to the stock ebrake cables with out too much modification. They are cheap, durable and I love the independence from the caliper itself. They fit the 0.81thk rotor, and can be used for emergency braking.
The calipers I have do not have mechanical e-brake capabilities.
The caliper is 4 piston, but the piston in^2 area is 1.96" less compared to the fronts, so after testing I'll be able to inform everyone how the proportioning is.
I was piecing together the combination caliper set up, but the cost started to creep above $1500.00 to buy parts individually, so I started cross referencing to kits.
I've invested well over 100hrs researching and designing into this kit, so I hope it's all worth it, and everyone can enjoy.

So far my cost is just under $1,100.00 CAD which I find is respectable for a custom kit.
I'm sure once the part numbers are up, people will be able to get the parts for cheaper then us up here in Canada. ha!

I plan to have the kit tested by Mid May, and if all goes well I'll post up the DYI with everything nessesary.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:07 PM
you sir are a shining example of how a participant of a web forum works. Sharing your research and not hoarding your information and or part numbers to help the community. Not telling people to "do the research" just to ,what seems to, inflict the same pain it took you to find what you wanted. After all, the work was for your bennifeit and no one elses', takes zero effort to share some text. I dont know how long this was asked for, and looks like this may now finally be answered. Thank you.
Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:20 PM
I am holding out on doing a rear brake set up that would be a nice upgrade for the N-body rears that still utalize the original internal drum parking brake.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:33 PM
Spencer wrote:you sir are a shining example of how a participant of a web forum works. Sharing your research and not hoarding your information and or part numbers to help the community. Not telling people to "do the research" just to ,what seems to, inflict the same pain it took you to find what you wanted. After all, the work was for your bennifeit and no one elses', takes zero effort to share some text. I dont know how long this was asked for, and looks like this may now finally be answered. Thank you.

lol you love chris too, eh?

Listen to our new single, called CRY CRY CRY, by John H.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:34 PM
Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:14 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavalier-Sunfire-Race-Rear-Axle-w-Disk-Brakes-/230955748260?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c6090ba4

Interesting find there.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:33 AM
only 2hrs away , may have to go pick that up
Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:08 PM
nevermind 5 hrs away

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:54 AM

Well, I ended up getting the mechanical spot caliper yesterday, and quickly got to work modelling and ensuring fitment.

Everything lined up well, and as predicted the Stock E-brake cable will work for this application.

I just need to fabricate a small bulkhead mount for the cable, which I plan to mount that bracket to the 2 holes on the trailing arm There's no binding with the cable, and I plan to multi-hole the bulkhead for tension adjustment if nessesary.

I'm looking forward to saying this is a direct bolt on rear disc conversion with no modification required. X-fingers fabrication and testing goes well for me. I hope to have the mounting bracket in fabrication by this weekend if time allows me.

Boom.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:56 AM
Very well played sir! Cant wait for you to get it out and test it out as far as stopping and holding power of it!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:59 AM
Looks great man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:25 PM
That's f'n awesome....! Kudos

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Friday, April 26, 2013 2:22 PM
thats is pretty nice!!

Friday, April 26, 2013 3:17 PM
Tuat actually makes me want a set.
Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:11 AM
Just a little bit of an update, the design is finalized.

Prototype burn templates were test fitted this past week, and I'm glad I did this because I wouldnt have been able to lock the E-brake pad in place due to the mounting style. So now that's all fixed up, I'm confident I have something here.

All critical and clearence dimensions have been covered

Bracket is going to Burn/CNC tonight.

Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:45 AM
so, are you planning on just releasing the CAD file, or are you actually going to do a GP and sell a run of these brackets?

either way, I'm curious if not ready to buy brackets.

it'd save me a lot of fabrication work

Nice job.

PRND321 Till I DIE
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavalier-Sunfire-Race-Rear-Axle-w-Disk-Brakes-/230955748260?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c6090ba4

Mantapart cough cough

PRND321 Till I DIE

Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:51 AM
looks like this bracket will be 1/4 inch huh?

Thursday, May 02, 2013 12:40 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:so, are you planning on just releasing the CAD file, or are you actually going to do a GP and sell a run of these brackets?

I'm pretty flexible really, once the CNC programming is done I can release the *.nc coding, *.iges files, *.dwg to save on fabrication timing and costs if you were to take it to a local shop....

I'm not doing this to make money, and if people have troubles sourcing, maybe I'll send the file to a respected member with good GP history to sell them if there's a need.

Give me a couple more weeks before you get antzy to buy things.. I still need to test function and proportion.

Bracket is 1/4" yes, with a 1/4" step. The gusseting on the bracket sends the torsion load back to the bearing bolts
The previous RSM Corvette bracket I had was 1/4" as well, which I plan to sell that rear brake set up with-in ontario soemtime this summer have I clean things up. The calipers are still hooked up to my brake lines as you can see in some of the pictures..

I'll be taking video of my brake testing with my gopro, and will build a DIY maybe by video or write up, or both... meh...

Thursday, May 02, 2013 3:23 PM
zdoubledozen [ Matt wrote:]
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:so, are you planning on just releasing the CAD file, or are you actually going to do a GP and sell a run of these brackets?

I'm pretty flexible really, once the CNC programming is done I can release the *.nc coding, *.iges files, *.dwg to save on fabrication timing and costs if you were to take it to a local shop....

I'm not doing this to make money, and if people have troubles sourcing, maybe I'll send the file to a respected member with good GP history to sell them if there's a need.

Give me a couple more weeks before you get antzy to buy things.. I still need to test function and proportion.

understood.

well, proportioning... I'd most likely mess with caliper piston size anyways because I'm running a manual setup (tandem MC right now) but I'm thinking about switching out to a dual MC with balance bar setup in order to have better control of my pressure and where it goes.. there's a lot more flexibility with the compact MCs that wilwood sells vs their tandem units.

As long as your brackets support the stresses ok (which they look like they will), I'm down.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:24 PM
Any updates?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search