Popping the brake cherry - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Popping the brake cherry
Sunday, November 22, 2015 5:41 PM
So while I have done rear drum brakes albeit with help I have yet to ever need to do brake jobs until now. I have done research into the procedure and the tools needed such as 3/8 alan, t55 torx, c clamp etc. Now luckly 1aauto has a few videos detailing how to do it but here's my situation. I due to a series of unfortunate circumstances and suspected tampering by my local TD need to replace both wheel hubs, rotors & brake pads. Somehow my brakes go from new to metal to metal in 1 day, wheel hubs go bad and rotors become warped a bit, the end result being my brake pads broke away and went flying from the hwy into a mcds playpen. Now I ordered cross drilled/slotted rotors and semi-metalliac brake pads(later to be upgraded to either ebc yellow or green) and new hubs. If my calipers are damaged what options do I have and are there any performance calipers out there? If they're undamaged I would like to paint them blue so which paints would you recommend & lastly what stainless steel braided brake lines are recommend? Or are the oem more than enough? It's my 04 ls sport, I plan on building her starting with suspension/brakes

Re: Popping the brake cherry
Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:12 AM
So discovered my caliper piston looks like this(passenger)
Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:34 AM
If your brakes are damaged its cheaper going to junk yard and getting used ones. Performance calipers are very expensive but there out there.as far as painting them goes need to completely clean them paint with high heat primer and then high heat paint 500 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. Stainless steel brake lines are more for looks. Yes there stronger but the factory ones are more than adequate.
Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:38 PM
Here in Ontario u can get oem calipers for 35 a piece. Vht high temp paint is common, never came across high temp primer but I'm sure it's out there.

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:29 AM
Ok, I'll look into vht paint then and look into the primer as well. Did my photo work? I'm not sure if it would fine to leave as is or replace my caliper due to the grinded area. Also any idea on how to remove stuck/frozen caliper bolts as well broken end links? Passenger side was a piece of cake but the drivers side caliper bolts have proven to be quite stubborn so I have yet to finish installing new brakes. My end links however have rotted away on the drivers side and passengers side. So for an unknown period of time I have been driving with no end links and luckly no real damaged occured in doing so. I don't have a sawzaw or an acetylene torch so I would need a way to remove them without those. I'll post pictures later today for you guys, as for lines if the oem lines are more than enough I'll just leave them be
Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:33 PM
Pics didn't work but usually if i come across stuck bolts i hit them with Wd40 or coca cola work s amazing

ReD RaiN
Thursday, November 26, 2015 2:03 PM
hopefully this time the photo works. I used half can of pb plaster & let it sit for 10 minutes but to no avail so I'm thinking of getting the 3/8 socket for my ratchet and use my jack handle as a makeshift breaker bar. Coke cola huh I could try that
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search