Steering Wheel/Column Wiggles/Loose on Tilt Knuckle - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steering Wheel/Column Wiggles/Loose on Tilt Knuckle
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:17 AM
I dont know how to explain it. It seems for a while that i noticed that when going over bumps that my steering column/steering wheel would shake. Yesterday when I was at a stop light I grabbed the steering wheel at 9pm and 3pm and pulled it up/down. It actually moves a little bit. I was like WTF?

I took the cover off from around the column behind the steering wheel(where signal/4 way stops switch's are) and I could see that there was movement in/under that part before it looks like it goes down onto the main column. Is there a knuckle in there that can wear out?

When taking the cover off from around the column I couldnt get the bottom part off. I tried to unscrew the Tilt stick with my hand and I tried my darndest to get the plastic cover off from around the key hole but it just wouldnt come off with out the removal of the key lock or the tilt handle.

So I'm wondering in the intermediate knuckle there where the column tilts, can that wear out and cause movement in the steering wheel? It's not a total concern but I dont think the steering wheel should move like that. I tried to get in there to tighten things up but it didnt turn out the way I thought.

I didnt know if this should go under suspension and brake or maintenance.

Any tips/diagrams would be appriciated.

Re: Steering Wheel/Column Wiggles/Loose on Tilt Knuckle
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:21 AM
i have the same problem and the only thing i can think of to fix it is to replace the whole column.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:19 PM
It seems to be an issue where the column tilts. Like the joint is wearing out which causes movement in your steering wheel. It's not really to noticeable when driving, but when you actually grab the wheel it does move.
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:29 PM
i think i have it too, i think there's a tsb on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:40 PM
Do you know the TSB on the issue? I guess you can tell if you have the issue if you actually grab the wheel and try and move it up/down. I guess it depends on it you have tilt steering or not. It still moves when going over bumps sometimes. I noticed it shaking mostly sometimes when taking off if you have RK upper/lower mounts installed. Everything shakes.

Regards,
Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:11 AM
mine does that too. but it's the least of my problems right now

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:44 AM
I dont have a problem with my column but i do have play in the steering wheel when turning it left and right. Eeven when the steering wheel is locked , it still moves back and forth about an inch. Anybody have a clue?
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:54 AM
I think the left/right movement everyone has slightly. Mine does the same thing but not like that when locked. Mostly when unlocked and when moving there is some play. I would assume that would be a problem/issue with the steering rack.

As for the moving the wheel up/down. I think that is due to wear of the tilt steering knuckle where the column tilts.

I hope to find the TSB about this sometime.
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:17 PM
i got a 91 sunbird and my steering it loose and it locked up a bit when i went to turn today?? i have no clue i check tie rods, and its not them, when i turn sharply my wheel feels like it hops a little bit,. Idk if its causes becauses i threw bigger rims on my car and maybe the distoreded the steering?? idk i need help tho asap !!!

Friday, June 17, 2016 10:28 PM
Any new info to shed some light on this issue? My 04 cav is doing the same thing. From what ive read its bolts underneith the dash holding the column to to a bracket thats came loose?

ReD RaiN
Saturday, June 18, 2016 4:00 AM
I know that the 2nd gen (at least the Phase II ones) cars have a pin in them that will back out and cause the tilt to feel sloppy and if it comes out far enough the mechanism will no longer lock in position. I don't know if the system is the same on the 3rd gens though.

Monday, June 20, 2016 6:21 PM
I had my 1999 sunfire do that and I just ended up take the plastic covers off and taking a hammer and a solid piece of metal and just giving it a tap in! the column is made from aluminum and the pins are pressed in and there steel! after a few weeks one side wiggled out again! so I took a little blue lock-tite and put it on the outside of the pin and tapped it back in and when I hit it from the side I made sure to make a few impressions on the aluminum to sorta keep the pin in from wiggling out . let it sit over night and it hasn't come lose now and its been about 6-8 months!
Monday, June 20, 2016 10:58 PM
Is it possible to take the pins out and put self tapping screws or tap threads?

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:50 PM
Im not seeing these pins. I was reading somewhere that gm had an issue with the tilt columns. In order to fix this u will need to take the wheel off as well as the springs and electronics etc in the steering mechanism to get at the 4 inverted torx bolts which needs to be tightened. It can be dangerous if it was to ever fall completly off. U also need specialty tools and pay attention to how its assembled. Hope this may help someone

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search