My Saturn rear disc swap - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My Saturn rear disc swap
Wednesday, November 02, 2016 10:49 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:SO I have had the brackets for the Saturn swap for some time. Finally getting around to doing it.
Last Saturday went to the junkyard and got these.

I then started cleaning them up, to paint them.

Yesterday I picked up these

Then drilled the rotors

So everything is ready. I was planning on doing the swap today. When I started breaking loose the lug nuts 2 of them cracked while still torqued down. One of each rear wheel. These are the type that require a key. It is looking like my only option is to drop the rear axle and loosen the hub from the back side, and pull the hub and wheel and drum together, then drill out the back side of the lug.

Since I was planning to drop the axle in a month of two to do the Jeffie bushing in it and paint it I will now do that. I'm planning to use Eastwood rubber sealer paint. So I have to order that and do the work. Likely be a week or two before that work starts and I can then update with final pictures.

hey sorry to re open an old post.... what is the "jeffie rear bushing? where does it go? and still available? does is make anything stiffer?

Thursday, November 03, 2016 5:23 AM
Christian S wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:SO I have had the brackets for the Saturn swap for some time. Finally getting around to doing it.

So everything is ready. I was planning on doing the swap today. When I started breaking loose the lug nuts 2 of them cracked while still torqued down. One of each rear wheel. These are the type that require a key. It is looking like my only option is to drop the rear axle and loosen the hub from the back side, and pull the hub and wheel and drum together, then drill out the back side of the lug.

Since I was planning to drop the axle in a month of two to do the Jeffie bushing in it and paint it I will now do that. I'm planning to use Eastwood rubber sealer paint. So I have to order that and do the work. Likely be a week or two before that work starts and I can then update with final pictures.

hey sorry to re open an old post.... what is the "jeffie rear bushing? where does it go? and still available? does is make anything stiffer?

Jeffie doesn't sell them anymore to my knowledge. They replace the rear rubber bushing on your axle.

John, I'm still having issues getting my e-brake cables to fit. Any idea?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Saturday, November 05, 2016 11:29 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:
Christian S wrote:

Jeffie doesn't sell them anymore to my knowledge. They replace the rear rubber bushing on your axle.

Cut another spring/link, it helped having another set of hands also.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 11, 2016 6:25 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:
Christian S wrote:

ok cool anyone else make these bushings???

and take center console off and if you have one of those cavalier maintenance book you will see that when you pull up on the ebrake... there is a paw you can drop into the groove and it locks the racheting mechanism in the handle . while holding down on the paw you can now release the handle all the way down!! this now has no tension on the cables and they will drop now in center of rear axle when you pull down on them with your hands... you should hae tons of slack now... if not remove the steel clip in middle of axle now all 3 cables are disconnected.. then hook the cable into the Saturn caliper and then re hook up the center clip and then once all back in place you should be able to just lift on ebrake handle making it go back to rachet state and it will tighten after a few on and off pulls on handle!
Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:38 AM
Christian S wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:
Christian S wrote:

ok cool anyone else make these bushings???

and take center console off and if you have one of those cavalier maintenance book you will see that when you pull up on the ebrake... there is a paw you can drop into the groove and it locks the racheting mechanism in the handle . while holding down on the paw you can now release the handle all the way down!! this now has no tension on the cables and they will drop now in center of rear axle when you pull down on them with your hands... you should hae tons of slack now... if not remove the steel clip in middle of axle now all 3 cables are disconnected.. then hook the cable into the Saturn caliper and then re hook up the center clip and then once all back in place you should be able to just lift on ebrake handle making it go back to rachet state and it will tighten after a few on and off pulls on handle!

Good info!!

I have heard LFU is looking at making these bushings.

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 15, 2016 11:59 AM
I could make sone if LFU doesn't.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Friday, January 20, 2017 12:40 PM
I've tried reaching out to a couple of people with no reply. Going to do a rear disc conversion on a sunfire next month and need the caliper mounting brackets. Where can I get those? And will I be able to do a big brake conversion with the same brackets? I have 18" wheels, not sure about offset.
Friday, January 20, 2017 6:52 PM
Jason Gibbs wrote:I've tried reaching out to a couple of people with no reply. Going to do a rear disc conversion on a sunfire next month and need the caliper mounting brackets. Where can I get those? And will I be able to do a big brake conversion with the same brackets? I have 18" wheels, not sure about offset.

Been wanting to do the swap as well, but have no response from Pete or Mr. Quick. Did speak with Josh on FB, but he has no info currently and if he can get either an image fill or, I assume, burn/CAD file, might be able to do something.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Saturday, January 21, 2017 4:56 AM
I could always copy a bracket but Mr. Quick has allways been responsive.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Saturday, January 21, 2017 1:52 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I could always copy a bracket but Mr. Quick has allways been responsive.

I have emailed him before and have yet to get a response. Unless his email address had changed, dunno what to say.

Sunday, January 22, 2017 8:15 PM
Same here. No response.

Monday, January 23, 2017 6:27 AM
Shawn's facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/shawn.beaupre.73

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, January 23, 2017 9:03 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Shawn's facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/shawn.beaupre.73

Ok, he responded within reasonable time on messenger. Thanks Enforcer.

Jason, catch him there.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:35 PM
Got a hold of him and got things figured out
Wednesday, February 01, 2017 4:56 AM
Glad to see it worked out.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search