N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To - Page 7 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To
Sunday, February 18, 2007 3:26 PM
This is a really neat setup! Just curious, the Impala came with the same rotors as an F-body? There weren't any thickness differences?

Also, can we get some more pics

Monday, February 26, 2007 3:51 PM
The F and W rotors are only different in vane design and bolt pattern they are meant for. They are the same dimensions.

Monday, February 26, 2007 7:23 PM
from what I have found, the 12" W-body rotor is the EXACT same rotor as the F body unit (same part number).... the bolt pattern is a 'universal' pattern, meaning the holes are large enough to fit over the 5x115 and 5x120 bolt patterns.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, March 02, 2007 12:25 PM
Not to beat a dead horse. But Lets say im a damn fool and want to go to the junk yard to get all the parts needed. What all models and years can i pull the parts from.

Also my rims do have the 5 x 114.3 lug patern in them. Can i simply use a set of hub rings to help center them better?

Friday, March 02, 2007 7:17 PM
Phlatcav wrote:Not to beat a dead horse. But Lets say im a damn fool and want to go to the junk yard to get all the parts needed. What all models and years can i pull the parts from.

Pretty much anything 2000+ on all parts will do you right, but you can use 99+ N-body knuckles, hubs, axle shaft outters, and ball joints.
For the rotors, you can use 2000+ Impala/Monte Carlo/Grand Prix rotors.
For calipers and brackets, you can use the ones from the Impala/Monte/GP for single piston units, or the Camaro/Firebird for dual piston units.

Phlatcav wrote:Also my rims do have the 5 x 114.3 lug patern in them. Can i simply use a set of hub rings to help center them better?

Yes, you can do this, but I would personally recommend replacing your rims in the near future and getting an actual 5x115 pattern.
The 5x114.3 will work. I just prefer to get the exact proper fit. I trust it more.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 12:14 AM
DAMN, I messed up and bought the w-body spindles . I assume they wont work?

Saturday, March 03, 2007 9:04 AM
Phlatcav wrote:DAMN, I messed up and bought the w-body spindles . I assume they wont work?

Nope, way too big, in both directions.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:17 PM
Anyone got any of these parts I need?

Monday, March 05, 2007 10:50 AM
Phlatcav wrote:Anyone got any of these parts I need?

Did you get the W-body axles too? If so, you can use the W-Body hubs on the N-Body spindles.

If you got the N-Body axles, you need to get the N-Body spindles and hubs.

FYI:
Grand Am Left Spindle
Grand Am Right Spindle

I bought a lot of parts from this guy, and he's great to deal with.

Monday, March 05, 2007 12:39 PM
Haha, I had already bought my n body spindles form that guy a couple days ago and also have n body axles on the way. I still need calipers, caliper brackets, ball joints, and wheel bearing/hub

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:33 PM
Here is another place that I've purchased items from before, with excellent service. If he doesn't have the stuff you need listed, email him, and he'll usually come up with it, and for a good price.
Morad-Parts-Company

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 12:45 AM
Will these brackets work for the camaro calipers?

Brackets

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 5:21 AM
No. They are not long enough. They will fit the Impala/Monte Carlo/Grand Prix 12" Single piston units though. That's what I ended up going with just because I got a good deal on everything I needed.

The cool thing about this swap is that if you get one setup now, you can easily upgrade it later.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 10:09 AM
yea, ill just wait and get the camaro calipers and do it the first time though

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 7:13 PM
I believe those brakets are for the smaller 11" brake setup, since they are stock Grand Prix parts (Only the Impala and Monte Carlo came with the 12" fronts)

car-part.com had a few Fbody calipers listed with sliders/brackets the last time I checked......

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:10 PM
how do you order from car-part.com?

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 9:26 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:I believe those brakets are for the smaller 11" brake setup, since they are stock Grand Prix parts (Only the Impala and Monte Carlo came with the 12" fronts)

Not true. I have a 12" setup from a Grand Prix GTP. Perhaps only the GTP had the 12"

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 10:24 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:
SpeedRacerZ wrote:I believe those brakets are for the smaller 11" brake setup, since they are stock Grand Prix parts (Only the Impala and Monte Carlo came with the 12" fronts)

Not true. I have a 12" setup from a Grand Prix GTP. Perhaps only the GTP had the 12"

What year did you get it from? I think the newer Grand Prixs do have larger brakes. (closer to 12")
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:59 PM
Everything I've see, says only the Impala and MonteCarlo had the 12" package....... even GM sells a upgrade package for the GP with the rotors and brackets to upgrade to 12" rotors. Its possible the newest GP body style has the 12" setup factory, but the older body style did not.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 9:21 PM
I believe the one I got mine from was an 02. Perhaps it had been upgraded. LOL. Probably some day they'll be a lot of J-bodies around with this brake setup and IRS, etc, and they'll be someone out there thinking they came like that.

I don't know a ton about the GP's, but I didn't look hard to find the parts I have.

I actually find it very odd that the GP's mostly have 11" brakes, especially since a lot of them have the supercharged 3800, and they are heavy cars. You'd have expected them to be the first ones out of the listed vehicles to have the bigger brakes.

Thursday, March 08, 2007 8:28 AM
last thing, can i use the camaro front rotors, are they the same as the w body?

Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:12 AM
yea i cant read....

Quote:

from what I have found, the 12" W-body rotor is the EXACT same rotor as the F body unit (same part number).... the bolt pattern is a 'universal' pattern, meaning the holes are large enough to fit over the 5x115 and 5x120 bolt patterns.

Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:59 AM

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:09 PM
parts...

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 7:15 PM
Anyone know the thread pitch of the Fbody bango bolt?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search