Anyone convert to AWD??? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone convert to AWD???
Sunday, September 17, 2017 1:06 PM
Hey guys anyone successfully convert our cars to awd, I was doing some research and saw that an F46 transfer case from an 09 Saab 9.3 xwd turbo should fit the F23 trans but what about the rear end? I was thinking a 90s' Corvett rear suspension with the Dana 44 rear with 3.92 gears would match pretty close with the 3.91 fdr of the F23 trans, any thoughts?

Re: Anyone convert to AWD???
Sunday, September 17, 2017 5:08 PM
there is no close 'enough' with awd, just pull the trans transfer case and rear suspension out of the same car to keep the gearing the same unless you plan on changing one of those parts often because they'll break.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Sunday, September 17, 2017 7:13 PM
Dale Young wrote:

Hey guys anyone successfully convert our cars to awd, I was doing some research and saw that an F46 transfer case from an 09 Saab 9.3 xwd turbo should fit the F23 trans but what about the rear end? I was thinking a 90s' Corvett rear suspension with the Dana 44 rear with 3.92 gears would match pretty close with the 3.91 fdr of the F23 trans, any thoughts?

That would probably work fine, it's common for the gearing to be slightly off like that, a lot of vehicles came from the factory that way. 2% difference is acceptable. A lot of vehicles cam with 3.50 and 355s. Other came with 4.10 and 4.11s. It all depended on axle choices.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:45 AM
I would try to stick to the same FDR, but that close should work.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:35 AM
The thing about AWD setups on FWD platforms, which is the case on the F46, is that the FDR is controlled by the transmission, and the transfer case and rear end are 1:1 ratio. Read up in the 3rd gen AWD Eco thread. I've provided a lot of information in there. I would recommend if you're going to try it, to get the F40 and F46 transmission from the same car, and look at getting the rear out of a Saab a few years older without the electronic rear end. Also, the F35 will not have the secondary drive output for the transfer case. The F46 a concentric setup, with the passenger side axle drive passing through the transfer case into the differential, and the differential having an outer spline drive specifically for the rear output of the transfer case.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search