My Rear Disc Swap - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My Rear Disc Swap
Monday, October 30, 2017 12:42 PM
Sweet!

Let us know how the drive goes.

Brian

Monday, October 30, 2017 3:19 PM
Monday, October 30, 2017 3:21 PM
Drives great! I love the way it feels!
Tuesday, October 31, 2017 10:22 AM
An interesting thought considering the 5/8" bracket. The suspension characteristics have changed a lot. The car tracks quite differently, and it's almost obnoxious as it is a little jerky. The rear track plays with the front caster a bit in respect that the vehicle is always trying to get into a straight line. The front wheel track and the rear wheel track are almost exactly the same now. Wheel loading on turns has changed, putting more pressure to the rear wheels. Going to have to do the Caravan bearings here at some point. Body roll is much more noticeable. Some good, stiff sway bars will fix that. Although a negligible measurement on the rear, scrub radius is closer to OEM with the wheel hubs being pushed out that extra 5/8" to compensate for positive wheel offset. Time to follow up with coilovers and pillowball mounts all around. With the proper coilover system, and some good sway bars, the car should perform significantly better on turns. Maybe that will be my next planned upgrade.
Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:50 PM
Been a couple weeks. Still sounds good, feels good, awesome upgrade. I now consider this project done.
Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:11 AM
Jason,

That looks great!

I plan to assemble mine together in the spring on my 98 which is now minus its battery since my battery just died in my 99 daily driver and needed a fast transplant.

Brian
Friday, November 17, 2017 9:00 PM
Definitely one of the better upgrades I've done in a while. Better bang for buck than a custom headerback exhaust.
Tuesday, December 05, 2017 11:02 AM
It's been a little more than a month, and I'm getting a weird rubbing noise. I drive a lot though. I've put on over 3,500 miles since I installed the brakes. I get the feeling I glazed the pads because my stopping effort is really high. Hoses don't look kinked or damaged. I need to get underneath and figure out what the hell is going on. I just rotated my tires a while ago and didn't notice anything at first glance, so what the hell?
Thursday, March 22, 2018 11:22 AM
5 months and 12,000 miles later, going great. Stopping power is excellent in dry conditions. Brake pedal effort was a result of not having dust shields on the back, and water getting between rotor and pad. Rubbing noise is failing power steering. Couldn't tell the difference between front and rear with that stupid magnaflow muffler on the back droning everything together. Ball joints are going out. None of these problems have anything to do with the rear brake kit at all, except the dust shields. Otherwise, no clearance issues, pads and rotors are wearing evenly, easily the best upgrade I've ever done to a J.
Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:14 PM
Jason,

That's great news that it is continuing to work well. Do you plan to put dust shields on? Can you use the old drum brake backs to serve for this?

Brian
Friday, March 23, 2018 6:33 PM
I plan to use dust shields just before I put on my M62 and while I'm doing my coilovers, and yes I still have the drum shield. I could probably use that with a little bit of tweaking. It isn't quite big enough for full coverage on my 18" wheel, but some shielding is better than none. The real question this month is going to be whether or not I get to keep my ricer bumper and coilovers...

Saturday, March 24, 2018 3:34 PM
Thanks Jason,

I am planning on using regular stock 16" LS alloys (powdercoated to black) on my 98 Cav. The original drum brake dust covers should be just fine for those wheels don't you think?

Please post some pics when you install yours as part of your coilover upgrade.

Your movies were helpful and will come in handy this spring when the weather finally improves enough for me to get back into things.

Brian
Tuesday, May 01, 2018 3:50 PM
Sorry im a bit late to the party.

Wanted to ask if anyone could give me the specs for the the bracket. Measurments and ect. I wanted to do this swap on my 05 cavalier and am having a lot of trouble finding anything on the mounting bracket itself.

I have someone who should be willing to fab it for me but as of the moment hed have nothing to go on.
Monday, August 06, 2018 7:21 PM
Joseph Sauder wrote:Sorry im a bit late to the party.

Wanted to ask if anyone could give me the specs for the the bracket. Measurments and ect. I wanted to do this swap on my 05 cavalier and am having a lot of trouble finding anything on the mounting bracket itself.

I have someone who should be willing to fab it for me but as of the moment hed have nothing to go on.

Go to the J Body International page on Facebook. There's a lot of help and support there. Mr. Quick here on the forums makes these brackets, and he is who I purchased from.
Wednesday, September 12, 2018 3:43 PM
Jason Gibbs wrote:
Joseph Sauder wrote:Sorry im a bit late to the party.

Go to the J Body International page on Facebook. There's a lot of help and support there. Mr. Quick here on the forums makes these brackets, and he is who I purchased from.

Jbody International is a joke of a page.

FU Tuning

Re: My Neon / Saturn Rear Disc Swap
Friday, September 14, 2018 10:41 AM
Someone needs to edit the original title to include Saturn / Neon Rear Disc Swap.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search