Suspension FAQ (05/22/2005) - Page 8 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HOW TO LOWER A CAR-THE RIGHT WAY (FAQ)
Thursday, September 02, 2004 11:53 PM
i need a stiff spring also for autox i want to move up to sts next year how stiff are they? and what is the stiffest lowering spring available? <br>

see ya!

Friday, September 03, 2004 12:32 AM
Well since the arospeed springs are supposed to be stiff springs I'm gonna give 'm a shot for the last couple events of the season but if they still aren't stiff enough for me I might pick up a set of el cheapo ebay coilovers because those tend to have extremely high spring rates. I'm a pretty proficient fabricator so I know I'll be able to make them fit right and I'll have a springhat with a bearing made if I need to but with having coilovers I'll be able to change springrates with different coils. I'll figure it out though, and I'll let you know how the arospeeds work.
Friday, September 03, 2004 10:33 AM
have you seen their coil overs?
http://www.arospeed.com/product_info.php?products_id=638

i have been thinking along the same lines as you. really high spring rated like cheep coil-overs with their 450f/350r and koni yellows adcco 1" bars front and rear <br>

see ya!

Friday, September 03, 2004 11:45 AM
yup I seen 'em, good setup idea, but no need for a bigger bar in the front than stock, otherwise you'll end up with understeer again
Friday, September 03, 2004 9:36 PM
Friday, September 03, 2004 11:03 PM
Yeah I've read that before but the problem is that our cars have a ton of understeer right out of the box. On a street driven car a front antiswaybar helps reduce the body roll, but when you get into hard cornering/auto-x on a fwd car adding a (bigger)front swaybar adds to the understeer. I've got a stock front bar and a 22mm rear bar right now and still have a good amout of understeer. I'm hoping that the stiffer/lower springs will help make the car more neutral. If it doesn't then I'll be stepping up to the 25.4mm rear bar unless the springs don't feel stiff enough yet then I'll switch to the coilovers on my koni's first, then do the bigger rear bar.
Friday, September 03, 2004 11:51 PM
sounds like you are on the right track. i thought that the 22mm rear bar would be right with the stock front bar must be a spring/ strut issue wow and you have your tried lowering the rear tire pressure and chalking the tires making sure that you did not go too low. <br>

see ya!

Saturday, September 04, 2004 12:21 AM
hey, email or IM me or we can start another post so we don't fill up the sticky with our conversation
Friday, September 10, 2004 8:50 PM
would be alot better to get quality coilovers that way you have all the parts, but do like karo did and when you order specify what spring rates you want...

atleast you know you will have all the parts and wont be dealing with BS and half way fabrication to make it work correctly.

ground-control.com

<br>

Saturday, September 25, 2004 5:38 PM
May be a dumb question..but since you said to watch out for the Eibach kit on 2.2s.
Does that mean if I was to by the kit for my Sungire GT (2.4) then I wouldn't have to worry about that? Does the bigger drop in the back even the car out more? I'm in the process of buying the car so wasn't sure why the drop was bigger..?

thanks
Sunday, September 26, 2004 1:35 AM
nope... that was written a few years ago... the problem has since then been fixed...same as the kyb gr2 strut issue of not fitting z24s...

no way to edit the posts as of yet.... might have to submit something to the mods. <br>

Sportline/koni...where can i find a deal?
Tuesday, November 09, 2004 8:37 AM
can anyone tell me where i can find the best deal on Koni reds and eibach sportlines??
OR does anyone have used ones 4 sale??
much appreciated~
Re: Sportline/koni...where can i find a deal?
Tuesday, November 09, 2004 5:05 PM
shox.com was a good deal last time i was there. i was shopping for yellows but they still had reds at that time, they have a toll free number give em a call.

<br>

Friday, November 26, 2004 9:23 AM
this might be a stupid question but when u order coil overs and such do they come ready to install or do i need to compress the springs? <br>

here comes the boost!
Friday, November 26, 2004 10:35 AM
no just lower them on the collar, thats why they are adjustable <br>

Monday, December 13, 2004 10:24 AM
Wasn't this suppose to be updated? <br>

Monday, December 13, 2004 10:30 AM
wild weasle is editing what i updated and adding some stuff since no one else wanted to step up. <br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 11:10 AM
quick question, i ordered the rk sport 1.75 inch drop springs from gravana tunnig when they had them, they came in an h&r box so im assuming that there h&r 1.75 drop springs, but anyway, i was looking at the toxico hp shocks and struts they look pretty good, how would those go with my sprigns, anyone else have the hps and have any feedback on them <br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 11:16 AM
Tokico HP are alike the KYB GR2's <br>

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, January 28, 2005 4:53 PM
i'm saling a set of Koni yellows if anyone is interested....e-mail me for more info. <br>

-----------------------------------------------------------
For Sale:
Koni Yellows $600 shipped
Friday, January 28, 2005 11:00 PM
how about those toxico d-spec, are they any good <br>

Monday, January 31, 2005 6:59 PM
I see this asked allot so here is an addition to teh FAQ:

Shock absorbers" are physically separated from the car's springs. A "strut," on the other hand, is a shock absorber with a spring that fits around it. Struts are common these days because they save space. But they cost more because the springs have to be removed before the "shock absorber" part of the strut can be replaced. You don't have any choice in the matter. Your car either has shocks or struts, and that's what you have to use. these components perform important functions; like keeping the wheels on the ground.

source car talk radio

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 8:01 PM
This may or may not have been clarified but the search button wont do much good. Feel free to call me a moron but I don't understand if it is the coil-overs or the shocks/struts (when adjustable) that do the adjusting. Do they both adjust orrrrrrr no? By the way - nice post Event. My question would be far less sophisticated and far off had you not explained so much.

Thursday, February 03, 2005 5:25 AM
Tom>>>Coil-overs are adjustable for lowering height. Lowering springs just lower car and are not adjustable. Adjustable struts are for firmness of ride(dampening and rebound).
Thursday, February 03, 2005 6:24 AM
Thanks man. I'm thinking about dropzone coilovers because I can get some from a friend for free but I dont know if I should get the dropzone dampers with them. Will it be hard to set it up with different (and probably better) dampers?

As you can see this car really needs a drop when the weather gets nice.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search