Suspension FAQ (05/22/2005) - Page 11 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Suspension FAQ (05/22/2005)
Sunday, March 18, 2007 5:15 PM
Hey i have a 99 cavy and i bought the arospeed coilovers and they are junk i live in Pittsburgh and ther bad roads every were i wanted to see whats the best springs i could go with but keep similer ride hieght. i was thinkinn about getting spring clamps any info on them let me know Thanks

-1999 Cavalier Z24-

Sunday, March 18, 2007 6:02 PM
spring clams are not your friends. I remember reading of some horror stories with the clamps coming loose or breaking when driving.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Monday, March 19, 2007 12:27 PM
thanks wat lowering kit do yinz recomend i want 1 that will ride nice

-1999 Cavalier Z24-
Re: HOW TO LOWER A CAR-THE RIGHT WAY (FAQ)
Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:13 AM
So i was looking for ground zero coilovers for my 02 cav and the site said they only go up to 2001. can i still use them on my cav?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2898349

Monday, April 21, 2008 2:54 PM
So I know this FAQ is old, but I was wondering if anyone has what this link in "Section 14" was pointing to?

"
14) Install Section

KONI RED/YELLOW COILOVERS and general coilover install...(GROUND CONTROL PICTURED/USED) aka Big Jerm21 Strut mount mod....

these are directions uploaded, credit goes to bigjerm21...

http://tiger.towson.edu/~apittm1/CoiloverInstall02.pdf

you should do the strut mount mod posted by bigjerm21 also reposted on the forums by chris pauley if you want then to work virtually stress free
"
I'm getting ready to put ground control / koni on the front, and I'm having issue with the top hats mating with the new mounts I got a hold of. I haven't taken it apart or looked at the mounts on the car, they could be different, but to get the top hat to seat on the new bearing instead of just binding in the mount, I need to add 4-5 additional washers on top of the bearing to bring it about 1/2" out of the mount.

Anyone ran into this? Maybe its just a funky brand of replacement mount, and I'll be able to use the stockers no problem?

Thanks,
Thursday, May 01, 2008 2:23 PM
I finally found my own answer, and though I'd share cause I'm nice.

RKSport actually has a nice how to on modifying the stock strut perch and strut mount to accomidate the coilovers.
I'm pretty sure that RKsports and Ground Controls aren't hardly different.

http://www.rksport.com/main/part_detail.asp?itemid=480&appid=22&mdid=2&catid=3
That goes to this page, click where it says "To view or download Installation Instructions click here."
Thursday, January 01, 2009 7:36 PM
Interesting thread. I slammed my '96 3.75 inches all the way around on adjustable Number One NONprogressive springs and KYB's. The control arms went parallel to the ground. I had NO tire wear at all over two years of driving it around Ohio and finally down in AL where the roads are beautiful...

...however...it rode like a tank across rough ground and actually (not sh_tting around here) went AIRBORNE on Rt. 10 on the way to Destin, FL for a car show. All four wheels off the ground as it went up onto a bridge...all because of the little 'lip' at the beginning of the bridge. I was doing around 55 MPH...my headlight went up OVER the Corvette in front of me.

When the car slammed onto the ground, the rearview mirror came off...the head unit popped out of the dash and needless to say, the underside of the tranny pan got a little scraped up.

The struts are good to this day. Never blew out. I SCCA raced this car for a season and usually finished in the top 1/3 for times. The car was beautifully neutral in steering. On one of my favorite roads, the entry to it is a sharp 90 to the left with an immediate 90 to the right leading to an uphill/downhill left hand sweeper. I can enter the first 90 around 65 MPH, ease off the throttle for a second and get back on it at the apex to the second 90. The rear end stays flat and I get a little slide coming out of the second turn. My buddy in his LS-1 can't keep up with me.

I had the AddCo antisway kit installed, a rear tie bar, Vibrant strut tower bars, Prothane bushings throughout, including the auto transmission; RK Sport upper and lower engine mount/insert.

I'm currently redoing the suspension on my 2000 Cavalier Z-24 and my other '96 Sunfire Gt, but not going with such a large drop, since I like to drive these around regularly...only 2.5".

The only time I had problems with the wheel bushings was during race season. I went through two sets in 3 months. No problems with the half-shafts at all.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:57 PM
im seriously considering buying some k-sport lowering springs
if anyone can give me any type of input or feedback and reasons why or why not to get them i would really appreciate it, and what else you think would be a good choice for me
im not looking to track my car or anything, its just a daily driver than needs a drop
thanks!!
Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:15 PM
ethanfbm wrote:im seriously considering buying some k-sport lowering springs
if anyone can give me any type of input or feedback and reasons why or why not to get them i would really appreciate it,

This...

Thursday, May 09, 2013 10:33 PM
So I have kyb agx struts. I was looking into coilovers to put on and I read on here ground control were good so I spent almost 500 for them and today I went to put them on and in the instructions they telling me I gota cut my struts and do some other hacking sh!t to my struts that'll void my warranty to my struts and it pissed me off because if they could've mentioned this on their description I wouldnt have ordered them and got something else better and wouldve been have my coilovers on right now -_- im looking into getting full coilovers not coilover sleeves and I wana know other than the quality what are some GOOD full coil overs that were basically a plug and play to buy and dont have to do unnecessary "modifications" thats pretty much destroying a part for your car to get them to work and a website I can go to to order them. Tomorrow before I go to work im gna go to the post office to have them ground controls returned.
Friday, April 18, 2014 7:12 AM
any recommendation on modifying the fender well covers for lowered and larger wheel setups, i'm running 18x8 enkies (they are about 1/4 inch taller than the factory wheels) and already had to mod them because they rubbed in turns, i just know the drop is going to be even worse on the turns. just wondering if you mod them or remove them

Friday, April 18, 2014 8:14 AM
I would just remove them. As for the fenders when you lower the car. Take it to a body shop and have them roll your fenders front and rear. It will tuck that lip on the fender and give you more room. A body shop can do it and not mess up your paint from stress cracking.

Sunday, April 20, 2014 7:03 PM
Alright thanks, and not like i plan on driving this car through a mud pit or anything but do you have much problem with it throwing road grime back in there or is it just pretty easy to clean out?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search