need pics of rear disk brake kit - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need pics of rear disk brake kit
Wednesday, December 15, 2004 10:10 PM
well im trying to find whats in the rear disk brake kit so i can start making a kit, and if i can make it cheaply enough, not quality but price, ill be more than happy to piece some together and sellthem off for a good price, more than likely itll end up being a bracket and whatever other hardwre is needed. so if anyone has any pics please leave me a link. thanks

parting out my built and boosted 97 z24 so4x4.com/cavy.html for pics and a parts list

Re: need pics of rear disk brake kit
Wednesday, December 15, 2004 10:47 PM
I don't have a picture of the components but all you need is a bracket, calipers and rotors for the rear. <br>

Thursday, December 16, 2004 6:30 AM
Hey bro,

Good luck with this. This is a really long thread but I'm sure I went into detail on all of the bits and pieces you need to do a rear disc conversion similar to the Baer setup.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=50&i=2832&t=2832

If you're looking to do something different or smaller or something, then that should still give you all the info you need.

Basically, you need the following:

Caliper brackets
Calipers integrated parking brakes
Rotors that fit. This is all about the size and offset. You may need new holes machined and hub adapters for them to fit properly.
Some braided lines since you won't fit the existing hard lines to the calipers.
New e-brake cables if the existing ones don't have the appropriate ends to fit the calipers.
<br>

Thursday, December 16, 2004 3:25 PM
thakns for the info guys, i spend most of my day in a machine shop and i can take time to do what i need, so we were thinking of running a stock size rear rotor on the back, running a bigger wheel stud and then mouniting the rim to that, which will offset the back a bit and will actually make the back more or less flush with the front end. the front rotor should fit over the rear wheel beaing assembly once the brakes are off. making a bracket is gonna be easy and we plan on using a proportioning valve to adjus the rear brake distribution.

ill let you know how it comes along, hopefully i can have something ready in the next several months

parting out my built and boosted 97 z24 so4x4.com/cavy.html for pics and a parts list
Thursday, December 16, 2004 3:28 PM
just looking through it, that rear bracket is gonna be a joke to make, i just need to play with the caliper and work out a parking brake system and everything is set

Thursday, December 16, 2004 3:32 PM
jsut a thought, the cobalt ss will have a rear disk setup, itll fit better, im thinking of maybe test driving one and getting some measurements

Thursday, December 16, 2004 6:29 PM
You shouldn't have to worry about the proportioning so long as the car has a working ABS system.
<br>

Thursday, December 16, 2004 7:44 PM
yeah my abs has been disablled because i hate the gm abs in the cavaliers, seems to stop working if i gets wet, really good when your stopping and it randomly kicks out, lol.

ill keep you updated as to what i end up doing parts wise, but that bracket is gonna be a joke to make

Friday, December 17, 2004 3:49 AM
Yeah, it's just a flat piece of steel with some holes drilled in it and maybe a couple washers welded on.
<br>

Friday, December 17, 2004 10:40 AM
yeah very easy yo make, im sure i toulc rig one up in a an hour or so and then make copies of it no problem

Friday, December 17, 2004 11:36 AM
It's the rest of the kit that's the bigger issue.

Not a single one of those people in that other thread have come back to give a final accounting of what it cost to put it together.

<br>

Friday, December 17, 2004 12:20 PM
I still haven't been able to find a disc that is the same diameter as the Saab disc that will mount on the stock rear bearing. But I have been looking!
<br>

Friday, December 17, 2004 2:23 PM
actually i have a place i go to down here, biknell racing, they sell calipres and such, i sur eif i gavce them the dimensions they gcould find me a blank, or ill call up pat at stopit brakes and get a set of blanks rotors sent down from him to match the front, something thatll fit my needs

Friday, December 17, 2004 8:19 PM
Bicknel manufacturers a ton of roundy round parts. If people were 'serious' enough, I'm sure Pete (Bicknel) would tool up a CNC and whip out a bunch of brackets.
Friday, December 17, 2004 9:17 PM
would love some of that ::sigh:: <br>

http://www.cardomain.com/id/StylezTA
Saturday, December 18, 2004 7:00 AM
well i spend msot of my time in a machine shop, once i get a layout for the brackets for something thatll fit into a stock wheel im sure i can knock them off in no time. im just gonna need some measurments and then ill go talk to the guys over at bicknell and see what they have to accomodate me

Saturday, December 18, 2004 3:20 PM
The reason I was looking for a disc that is the same diameter of the Saab disc is because the bolt pattern for the plate is the same as the Cav, so all you need is a rotor that fits over the bearing and is the same diameter. Just use the Saab caliper and plate with whatever the rotor is, plus a spot caliper for the e-brake and there you go. <br>

Saturday, December 18, 2004 5:40 PM
What's the bolt patten on the Saab rotors? Can't they be re-drilled to fit?
<br>

Saturday, December 18, 2004 8:27 PM
They could be. Remember talking about this with me before?

The big issue is that the overall width of the Saab setup is 3/4" wider than the Cav drums, so the tires will rub, especially if you're running +1s or wider.
<br>

Saturday, December 18, 2004 9:01 PM
Yep, I remember. And now I remember why it wasn't as easy as just re-drilling.

What makes it so wide though? Is there an integrated drum parking brake?
<br>

Sunday, December 19, 2004 8:23 AM
Yup. So I plan on using either a spot caliper or (better yet) finding another caliper (possibly Fiero) with a built in e-brake. <br>

Monday, December 20, 2004 5:40 PM
heres what i was thinking, cobalt ss caliper and rotor, i read its a rear disc brake car, meaning that as long as gm followe the 5x100 bolt pattern, you could get away with using that entire rear brake setup minus making your own bracket which would ned up being alot cheaper.

as for rubber, as long as the minimum width of the bracket is that of the drum assembly it shouldnt rub, i need to get a measurement and take it from there, id actually prefer to put the back wheels out another half inch or so, itll make the car handle a bit better and on the 3rd gens make the rear wheels look flush with the front and not sunken in.

Tuesday, December 21, 2004 5:00 AM
Hey bro... there's a few issues to consider with that.

First off, there's plenty of cars out there with 5x100 bolt patterns and rear discs. The cobalt won't have anything more or less compatable than any of the others. In fact, it's probably the exact same parts as the Ion Redline is using, so you can probably go get your measurements now without waiting for it to be released. And while you're out there, check out the Celica or the SRT-4 for measurements. I'm pretty sure though that you're going to want something with an integrated parking brake that doesn't involve a small drum assembly.

The car is engineered with the rear track a little smaller than the front on purpose, though I can't remember off the top of my head why that is. If you increase it though, then you'd better make sure you're sitting high enough and your springs are stiff enough that the wheels aren't going to tuck because it only takes a small increase to get you cutting tires on the fenders. I had this issue with my Baer kit and 225 mm wide tires with +45 offset.

<br>

Tuesday, December 21, 2004 8:34 AM
thanks man, is the redline running the 5x100 bolt pattern like the ss will?
also with my car, my suspension moves a hair and thats it, apex springs with kyb agx struts so im not worried about the back wne dropping at all, even when i had my other rims on the car, they were 16x7 they stuck out a hair more and nothing rubbed. more than likely im gonna make sure the plate is the same thickness as the ld one was jsut so that nothing changes, unless its like a 1.4 inch or somethng athetic like that, then i have no choice but to make it thicker, think the guy in the other post is using a 5x8's inch bracket, which is a pretty thick piece of steel.

how is the parking brake engaged on the gm cars with rear disks? i know a couple of aftermarket kits iv seen for different cars there a shoe assembly that goes inside of the rotor and that is what used as the parking brake, im sure thats not the case for most vehcles but rather somthing built into the caliper that engages the brake pads. ill have to do some more research before i choose what caliper im gonna end up with.

anywyas, thanks for the info man, if you wanna add me to msn so we can brainstorm a little feel free to do so, turbocav@hotmail.com

Tuesday, December 21, 2004 9:33 AM
judgez24 wrote:unless its like a 1.4 inch or somethng athetic like that, then i have no choice but to make it thicker, think the guy in the other post is using a 5x8's inch bracket, which is a pretty thick piece of steel.

The stock drum backing plate is only like 3/16" max. The bearing is 2.5" from backing late to outside face.
<br>

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search