Is it just me or is this stupid? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is it just me or is this stupid?
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:14 AM
Ok, Im lowering my car and I find the rear of the car, the bottom struts, bolt's Nut was welded to the frame! So I figure I can unscrew it to the other side and its insanly hard to make that thing brake loose, and the same on the other side too! Anyway of doing this? I cant get it at all, and Im a big guy and everything. and usally I can just do this with ease but damn its hard and I only got wrenches. I've even double wrenched it with no eas. And Im not going the wrong way either obviously. So how did you guys do this? Im thinking of just letting a shop do the rear, I've already lowered the front.

Re: Is it just me or is this stupid?
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:49 AM
get a breaker bar, or some air tools, just keep working at it, youll get it

Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:21 AM
Yeah, it can be tight but it comes loose. I'm assuming you've got that corner lifted off the ground so the bolt isn't supporting the weight of the car.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:58 AM
Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:55 AM
a 20 inch breaker bar does wonders on this screw. i could get it with regular wrench or sockets either. not to mention that its much more cost effective. $20 bucks for a breaker is not bad, compared to $250 for an impact. and those el cheapo electric impacts as a rule won't cut it either.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:31 PM
good lord cinny, you buying your impact from snap on or what?!
thats a lot of money

Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:38 PM
1/2 drive impact...take 2 seconds. You will never get it with a wrench !! lol

Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:40 PM
You guys are wusses. I never had an issue getting it off with a wrench or johnson bar.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:17 PM
dont you know, they tighten them more on cavaliers because we are the cheaper model

Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:19 PM
navycav3 wrote:good lord cinny, you buying your impact from snap on or what?!
thats a lot of money

that was the price for the impact in the link above i used the 20 inch breaker bar and it was a snap. and it doubles as my lug wrench now that i have rims that can't use the stock one.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:57 PM
well i have this impact. it's cheap and has balls
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2623

see ya!

Friday, February 18, 2005 4:43 AM
Cinny wrote:
navycav3 wrote:good lord cinny, you buying your impact from snap on or what?!
thats a lot of money

that was the price for the impact in the link above i used the 20 inch breaker bar and it was a snap. and it doubles as my lug wrench now that i have rims that can't use the stock one.

hehe. Mine doubles as a lug-wrench as well. Johnson bar to loosen, torque wrench to tighten. Since you should never use a torque wrench to loosen bolts, it's good to have both on hand.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search