NEED HELP WITH SHOCK REPLACEMENT!!! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
NEED HELP WITH SHOCK REPLACEMENT!!!
Thursday, February 17, 2005 6:36 PM
Basically my rear passenger side shock broke right below the bump stop. And I need to know how long it would take to put a new one in, and how i would go about doing it.
BTW 96 sunfire 2dr...

All the help would be great
thanks

Re: NEED HELP WITH SHOCK REPLACEMENT!!!
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:16 PM
the rod snapped?!?!

i hope it just blew because you would have to do something real Fed up to snap a strut

new strut should cost about 40 maybe for OEM and install if you have the right tool should take less than 45 minutes

Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:15 PM
it could be that the bearing it the strut mount broke free, I can't imagine a strut rod breaking off, that would take some really force to do, and i think the rest of your car would look like swiss cheese in the process. you can rent a spring compressor and do it yourself.it is a 96 so it does have allot of mileage on it. since your profile is blank I'll assume that you have had the car since it was new and that the struts have been replaced at least once in it's lifetime, and more than likely the mount was not replaced. all that really holds the whole thing together is a metal sleeve bonded inside a rubber mount. with age and time it could very easily have broken loose.
I would buy a mount and a rear strut and just return what ever it is that you don't need.

Friday, February 18, 2005 8:10 AM
Yeah. thanks for all the help guys, i figured out what it is and it was a broken rear strut mount, and i replaced it in about an hour without a spring compressor.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search