Suspension Set-up's... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Suspension Set-up's...
Friday, February 18, 2005 3:25 AM
I am planning to get a full suspension set and have been doing ALOT of research these past couple of weeks......I have a few questions for those who can answer them.....First off, I looked into the Koni Yellows w/ the Ground Control coilovers from carcustoms.net and the GC's are NOT in stock right now, anyways, from reading thru the org, I found out that the Koni Yellows strut/shocks are NOT direct bolt ons, right??? and that u need some custom work done to it......and custom work may cause PROBLEMS later on, right??? The second set-up is the RK sport coil over kit w/ the struts/shocks....these I came to find out that u will need a UPPER STRUT MOUNT for my 2002 Cavalier, otherwise it should be a direct-bolt on, right??? If so, where do I get the UPPER STRUT MOUNT and what else is there to get, if any??? The third set-up, that I am currently most interested in is either the Mantapart sport struts (i think that is what it is called) for $800 w/out any springs, and these are READY TO INSTALL , from what I read on the description, right??? The Mantapart Billstein full strut/shock kit w/ coilovers and springs, for $1500 is what caught my attention so far, are those READY TO INSTALL too??? or do they need custom work done to it and do they also need UPPER STRUT MOUNTS,like the RK sport one's.........also, when it says coilovers and springs, do they mean the spring that is already on the coilover??? And anybody who has or had these set-ups, especially the Billstein ones, please give ur input or 2 cents worth....I would appericate it.....and I have read that Mantapart customer service SUCKS, so anybody who ever dealt w/ them give me your insight into there service and product, cause I don't want to be screwed this time, like past experiences, and I want to do it right the first time around........So that is all.....MY BAD 4 this long post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Suspension Set-up's...
Friday, February 18, 2005 5:27 AM
wlel im going by what i got and my ride. You can take your own advice.
I got Koni Yellows With Grounc-Control for the Koni Set-up. Now yes you have to do do some cutting of the old front struts to make the koni yellows work but the ride is smooth. I mean yeah of course you feel the big bumps but as far as the little bumps or rocks, i dont feel a thing. For my koni yellows, i went with the polyurethane bushings instead of the stock bushings to make the ride alittle bit smoother ( $70 bucks at rk sports ) and it was worth it. I am slammed ( tucking ) in the front and can still go lower with the koni yellows and i ride good. IF you get this ride, just find a good shop to install them and make sure they are good! ( just got them )

as far as the rk sports pro-street - I had a friend that had them and he was just planned out dumped and could go lower. He said the ride was good and had them for just about a year and then ran into problems like harder ride ( it began not to be so smooth ) so he got air ride! NNNNNIIIIIIIICCCCEEEEEE

I mean its up to you. Suspension is suspension and you pay for what you get. If you pay $200 for all 4 struts, i dont think your getting a hell of a deal, your getting ripped. Just keep with teh forum and you will find your answers

Friday, February 18, 2005 6:40 AM
If you want to go with Mantapart i would go COD. Their set up is excellent. I have a friend who use to have it but sold it before he got his STI.

So is Ground Control and Koni. I have the reds. I have had this set up for almost 3 years now and i love it. No complaints here. We did the install and it is still going. Ground Control you can get custom spring rates if needed which is always a plus. This is the most popular set and i don't recall anyone having a problem with this or even any complaints.

I am not to up on the Rksport set up. You will need 95-99 strut mounts for that set up though. People say it rides good but you can't ride too low with those.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, February 18, 2005 7:26 AM
first off i want to tell you before you buy i know where you can get everything cheaper then that priceat gravanatuning.com check it out
Friday, February 18, 2005 1:06 PM
I already checked out gravanatuning.com....but carcustoms w/ free shipping, can't beat that......What are people's experiences w/ carcustoms.net...Good or Bad??? I seen nothing but good and I called them and they were nice people,unlike Mantapart, where they seem to not even pick up the phone EVER, so I'm not going thru them cause if they can't even pick up a call after 20 times, during the morning hours, it just shows that there service SUCKS, like everyone said.......What's up w/ the Ground Control for Stock Struts-$389.99 from gravanatuning.com.....is that really safe and like everyone stated, stock struts aren't made to be lowered, right???
Friday, February 18, 2005 1:10 PM
karo (carcustoms.net) is having my babies one day, he just doesn't know it yet

just got those in from him this week

mantapart = devil (not from personal experience, but with all the @!#$ they get on this forum i'm not about to waste my money)

coilovers and stock struts ARE NOT SAFE! the spring rates of coilovers is triple what you'd see with stock springs and you'll be bouncing all over like a jogging fat lady's boobies

you are correct, don't lower on stock struts... and if you can't afford to buy koni's save your pennies

Friday, February 18, 2005 1:34 PM
any kind of lowering on stock struts is bad. save your money for Koni yellows and do it right the first time.
carcustoms is a good company to deal with along with Gravana Tuning

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, February 18, 2005 1:51 PM
Polyurethane bushing from RK is only $40.00 w/out shipping
Friday, February 18, 2005 2:02 PM

Friday, February 18, 2005 7:28 PM
Thanks for the advice.......I had a long talk with Jim from Gravanatuning.com about the tokico d-spec w/ springs for $675 and he said that if anything the Koni yellows w/ the pro kit is the BEST set-up, for performance and comfort.....he was a true customer service person who took his time to explain things.....same with carcustoms.......so I'll be ordering the Koni Yellows w/ the pro kit next week some time and pray that everything goes as planned........Thanx for the info everyone!!!!!!!!! I'll keep ya updated.......
Saturday, February 19, 2005 12:10 PM
kyb agx and sport lines nice!!

Sunday, February 20, 2005 5:34 PM
MeltdOwn350 aka cOdy,

That looks like a real nice setup, are those prokits or sportlines?
Make sure to post some pics when you install them. I got an 02 cav with the same rims and color as your car want to see what the drop looks like....

thanks
Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:32 PM
redcav1: Those are Ground Control coilovers, not lowering springs.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:42 PM
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:redcav1: Those are Ground Control coilovers, not lowering springs.

correct, but you can be sure i'll post pics

Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:46 PM
haha well guess i'm blind... i didnt really look to close and just saw the eibach sticker..oh well....

when u post pics, if you could also say about how much of a drop the coil-overs are set at compared to stock that would be great so i could get an idea of what it would look like on my car with diff springs and stuff that have about the same drop.

if that makes any sense...if not i'll try to clarify

thanks man
Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:12 PM
yeah, ground controls use eibach springs

but what i'm going to do is.... measure from the top of the wheel well to the ground, before and after

and since i can adjust height, i'll start from the top and work my way down

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:33 PM
MeltdOwn350 aka cOdy,

Just wandering if you installed your setup yet and if u have any pics yet

thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search