help!!!! w/ lowering springs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help!!!! w/ lowering springs
Saturday, February 19, 2005 12:04 PM
do i need a spring compressor to remove stock springs?

Re: help!!!! w/ lowering springs
Saturday, February 19, 2005 12:07 PM
yes you do. you can rent a set from a local store or buy one. i bought a craftsman pair for 40 bucks. some people might say you dont need one but then the spring is going to come flying off and probably do alot of damage. ive seen people do it w/o one and its not fun to be near when it goes off.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 3:44 PM
ive heard of people doing it with rope and a piece of wood, wouldnt suggest it tho, lol
get the compressors

Saturday, February 19, 2005 3:51 PM
rope and a piece of wood.... thats sounds just like south dakota!!! lmao

ok, next question... we stripped the top bolt on the strut... its on there tight.... what can you suggest??
Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:02 PM
craftsman makes a socket that "binds" on there to loosen a rounded over bolt

you should invest in one of those

Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:29 AM
no you dont need one to get off the stock spring but you will need one to get on the new spring and the mount, when i was taking off the mount i just made sure to aim towards a friends genitals and WHAM spring and mount to teh JUNK!!! It shoots almost as far as peter north.

NO really dont aim it towards anyone but aim it away and it shoots off a few feet kinda fun actually, the new lowering spring you will need to compress in order to fit the strut mount back on

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:11 AM
went and bought new struts today

Click Here, To Check Out My Interior

Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:04 AM
man.. this whole having my brother logged in.... then me having to log in thing sucks!!!
we got struts and bearings today, cuz shaun busted open the bearings. this is turning into quite the spendy little project

Click Here, To Check Out My Interior

Monday, February 21, 2005 5:12 PM
i used the compressors for the front left side to get the spring off.... after that i got tired of using it and just said what the hell. I stood on the spring with the whole thing laying down and leaning over to loosen the nut with the wrench... it shot off a good foot. No problems tho. And then to get the bg springs on i didnt need to compress to get it back together.

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search