Anyone with cross-drilled rotors - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone with cross-drilled rotors
Thursday, February 17, 2005 6:09 AM
just wondering what you guys are getting as far as life expectancy. Mine have about 10,000 miles and not a single crack, although with my luck tomorrow there will be one there. the only thing i don't like about them is that they don't perform as well in wet weather.

Re: Anyone with cross-drilled rotors
Thursday, February 17, 2005 6:11 AM
since when do brakes perform perfect in wet weather, all brakes will slip if they are wet

Thursday, February 17, 2005 6:29 AM
My slotted rotors preform better in wet conditions that the stock rotor.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:47 AM
ok, let me correct myself, my cross drilled rotors suck more in wet weather than the stock rotors...
Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:41 AM
You have to remember that in any condition where the drilling/slotting wouldn't otherwise be providing any benefit, which is to say in most cases, the fact that you have less material in the firepath will actually hinder performance.

Supposedly the holes/slots will help prevent fade under high-demand usage but under normal conditions, they can actually cause them to heat up quicker and not grip quite as well.

But they're pretty. And that's worth something.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:51 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:You have to remember that in any condition where the drilling/slotting wouldn't otherwise be providing any benefit, which is to say in most cases, the fact that you have less material in the firepath will actually hinder performance.

Supposedly the holes/slots will help prevent fade under high-demand usage but under normal conditions, they can actually cause them to heat up quicker and not grip quite as well.

But they're pretty. And that's worth something.

Isn't this true for half the parts out there?

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:01 PM
i think i'd rather go with just slotted rotors in the future....

the Powerslot (drilled and slotted) heat up waay too fast, and fade like crazy.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:59 PM
Mine are both drilled and slotted and I've never felt the slightest tiny bit of fade with them.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:24 PM
well, it's a combination of sorts....

my rear brakes basically do nothing, as the shoes are completely gone. and then my wheels weigh 28 lbs apiece

Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:27 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:Mine are both drilled and slotted and I've never felt the slightest tiny bit of fade with them.

you jerk i just remembered you have aftermarket brakes on all 4 corners...grrr....you only need the fronts, take those rears off and send em down here

Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:41 PM

Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:28 PM
xOPETHx wrote:i think i'd rather go with just slotted rotors in the future....

it's not the rotors it is the pads. time for a rear performance pad up front. they will boil the fluid before they fade

see ya!

Friday, February 18, 2005 5:28 AM
thanks for the input, but uh, no one really answered the question.

just wondering what you guys are getting as far as life expectancy. Mine have about 10,000 miles and not a single crack
Friday, February 18, 2005 6:18 AM
novaracer wrote:
xOPETHx wrote:i think i'd rather go with just slotted rotors in the future....

it's not the rotors it is the pads. time for a rear performance pad up front. they will boil the fluid before they fade

i'm using the $60 performance ceramic pads (I forget which brand..i got em from Advance Auto)

Friday, February 18, 2005 4:31 PM
i had slotted & drilled rotors on my sunfire..i found they worked quite well. also had those titamiun ti22 pads...they were ok..nothng special. i never noticed any excessive heating/fading...actually they performed as well or better than the stockers in all conditions. i have a set waiting to be installed on my cav...along with a set of EBC green stuff pads. may be going on this weekend if i dont get lazy...god knows this fat tub of a cav needs all the stopping help it can get.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Saturday, February 19, 2005 2:03 PM
I've got drilled and slotted rotors with stock brake pads. I've had them for like a year and I haven't seen any fading in them.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:31 AM
I have the Rototech cross drilled and slotted stock sized replacements with the Ti22 pads and lean on them quite hard, we've had a tough winter, no cracks or anything and I got 25k on them with minimal wear, in my opinion without going to a bigger brake kit its the best front setup you can have, I could not be happier with them you can get them at http://www.highrevmotorsports.com

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:56 AM
rototech is what i had on my old car...and have for the new one. i put more than 80K on the rotors...never cracked. last pads i had were the ti22...they seemed fine as well. had them for around 20k when i got rid of the car. i got mine from jc whitney.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:45 PM
i got some cheapys off ebay (actually not, the were 60 bucks) and i run a lifetime warranty parts store brand pad (cheapys) and ive had no problems. Had em for atleast 10k..

Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:35 PM
i got the powerslot drilled and slotted with the z-rated brake pads and steel-braided hoses it's a pretty good set up i think yet when braking real hard it feels like i'm about to do a front flip anybody know of anyway of upgrading the drum brakes

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 6:11 AM
besides rotors that is?

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:10 AM
LiTTle fOOt wrote:i got the powerslot drilled and slotted with the z-rated brake pads and steel-braided hoses it's a pretty good set up i think yet when braking real hard it feels like i'm about to do a front flip anybody know of anyway of upgrading the drum brakes

I really don't know of any "performance" shoes being available. Just make sure they're properly adjusted. Upgrading your suspension can help reduce the nosedive if you go with stiffer springs.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search