Is it time to get brakes checked? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is it time to get brakes checked?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:44 AM
Just yesterday I noticed a subtle noise comming from my front driverside wheel. It was like....I guess a pin scratching on a metal suface is the best way I can explain it. It is real subtle and only hear it when driving slow.

Refference: I have powerstop cross drilled and slotted rotors (1.5yrs old and ebc green stuff, same age)

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Re: Is it time to get brakes checked?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:09 AM
well that means you need new brakes i forgot the name of the piece but its a remineder take your wheel off and you will see the lil piece rubbing on the rotor
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:43 AM
The brake squealers aren't subtle at all. If they're hitting, they'll be loud.

Definitely check your pads just to be safe though.

Do you only hear it when you're pressing the brake and going slow or is it any time you're going slow?

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:34 AM
Sounds to me like the break squeelers too. But I would think that it would be much louder and only when applying brakes. To be save certainly check out those break pads. You say its been a year and a half since you did the breaks last. a friend of mine tithe the sloted rotors wears through pads about every 2 years so if you have a heavy foot on the brakes then you could just be due for new pads. Do you notice anything else when you apply breaks or coasting to a stop?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:58 AM
Thanks for all the info, I am going to get them checked asap......The noise only occurs when I start to drive (slowly i guess) it might happen when i drive normal speeds but i probably cant hear it because of traffic noise, wind and my exhaust. But anyhow I am going to get them looked at.

Thanks
Alex
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:43 PM
brake lining wear indicators only make noise if you are not applying the breaks. Some do have a softer tone and are not as load as you may think.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:25 PM
Thanks for the info
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:14 PM
Saturday, February 19, 2005 12:38 PM
alex you dont have drilled rotors! hehehe

Saturday, February 19, 2005 1:32 PM
sorry that im late about this but on my 2000 cavalier i had a squel coming from mine and it was jsut my brakes. it wouldnt really squel while braking but doing about 15-45mph is when i could hear it. i ended up needing new brake pads and rotors so i hope you got it checked out.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:33 AM
yup sounds like the tell tale signs of worn brake pads

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:54 AM
alex's car had afunny problem... the pads where worn un evenly. say the front of the pad was alot less then lets say the rear of the pad. cracked and everything else. i think the ebcs are too bruttle for street use.

Monday, February 21, 2005 5:21 PM
Uneven pad wear tends to come from a slide pin sticking. Cracks usually from them getting hot which could be from a slide pin sticking and causing the pad to drag on the rotor. Just some tips...

Elkahosso

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:55 AM
Yeah Nate^ fixed my breaks and a good thing to because those pads were busted....lol they were cracked liked chapped lips and was worn out on one side like the sole of a persons shoe who walks bow-legged. It was horrible! Anyways...problem solved....

Thanks James!
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:56 AM
thats funny!!!!!!!

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:34 AM
that happened to me too...i thought that happens when the rotrs are warpped

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 3:15 PM
pjk91 wrote:that happened to me too...i thought that happens when the rotrs are warpped

Well the theory behind them being so cracked and worn was because the crossed drilled and slotted rotors play a harsh tole on brake pads.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search