Strut Bar - Proper Install? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strut Bar - Proper Install?
Monday, February 28, 2005 3:35 PM
What is the "correct" way of installing a strut bar?

<image src="http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/adiktid/personal_pic.jpg"></img>

Re: Strut Bar - Proper Install?
Monday, February 28, 2005 3:36 PM
i didnt know that there was a "wrong" way.

this is my sig
Monday, February 28, 2005 3:44 PM
take out 3 bolts on strut tower, place bar on towers, line up the holes and bolt down the bolts

Monday, February 28, 2005 4:01 PM
I was told that since my car is lowered, I have to lift up the front end and install it with the wheels off the ground?

Something to do with the camber of the wheels?

True?

<image src="http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/adiktid/personal_pic.jpg"></img>
Monday, February 28, 2005 4:14 PM
Your an idiot...well No...whoever told you that was an idiot.

BTW...if you cant figure it out...step away from the car!!!

Monday, February 28, 2005 4:30 PM
Quote:

Your an idiot...well No...whoever told you that was an idiot.

So I am to assume from your insignificant post that what I heard is untrue?

Quote:

Thanks for the hot tip bud!. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Monday, February 28, 2005 4:49 PM
Quote:

he has a point. all you need is a wrench

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, February 28, 2005 5:15 PM
^^ no he doesnt have a point. everyone has been there before and not known anything about cars. its not his fault.

Monday, February 28, 2005 8:14 PM
Haters. Dont worry about them. They forgot that they were new at one point. DO NOT INSTALL THE STRUT TOWER BRACE WITHOUT THE SUSPENSION LOADED. That is all and like everyone else says, its three bolts. Have fun with your more controlled ride.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Monday, February 28, 2005 9:06 PM
Demonchild wrote:Haters. Dont worry about them. They forgot that they were new at one point. DO NOT INSTALL THE STRUT TOWER BRACE WITHOUT THE SUSPENSION LOADED. That is all and like everyone else says, its three bolts. Have fun with your more controlled ride.

i would LOVE IT if you could explain the difference between doing it the "right" way with the car off the ground and doing it the "wrong" way with the car on the ground....

seriously, i'm here to learn... that and i think it doesn't make a damn difference...

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 3:09 AM
Why the hell do people have to be such ass holes? Damn.... some of you think you are so perfect!

Some strut bars, when installed, hit the hood!! This meaning they are upside-down, meaning they are installed incorrectly, flip it and it will be correct, while others installed on certain type of models, especially 2.2L engines have problems with the TB.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:25 AM
ALWAYS USE A TORQUE WRENCH.

Those strut fasteners have to be torqued a lot less than most people will do by hand and are easily stripped.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:38 AM
It's harder to do w the car jacked up unless the car is level in the air, but on the ground is much easier and not the wrong way.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:30 AM
FstCavZ24 (Turbo ECO) wrote:It's harder to do w the car jacked up unless the car is level in the air, but on the ground is much easier and not the wrong way.

thank you

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 12:28 PM
i wouldnt do it in the air, find a flat spot and do it on the ground. Takes 5 mins and use a torque wrench cuz u can strip them easy

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:22 PM
I'd love to watch someone jack up the front end and then undo the strut mount bolts. I think the result would be nothing less than hilarious.
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:33 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:ALWAYS USE A TORQUE WRENCH.

Those strut fasteners have to be torqued a lot less than most people will do by hand and are easily stripped.

How to fix a stripped one? easy? step by step please?

how many lbs should they be torqed to? 10? 15?

I have one stripped

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:01 PM
To fix a stripped one: Get a new strut mount.

This really depends on what's stripped. There's two bolts attached to the mount and one threaded hole. If any of those are stripped, you need a new mount. If it's one of the two nuts or the removable bolt, just replace that bit.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:04 PM
Ben992200 wrote:I'd love to watch someone jack up the front end and then undo the strut mount bolts. I think the result would be nothing less than hilarious.
Well depends on what bar you have. I have the GM one so only the 2 nuts need to come off. It's not really all that jilarious to watch me do it.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:23 PM
Well, if you jack up the front and unbolt the towers, the strut assmebly will drop down. (a bit)

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:51 PM
Quote:

Haters. Dont worry about them

Wasnt being an A-hole.....just stating a simple fact. Doesnt take a genious to freaking look at the bar and then the bolts and figure out what has to come off.

Hmmm, take them off, slip bar on, tighten back down and torque to specs. 10 min job tops.

Quote:

Why the hell do people have to be such ass holes? Damn.... some of you think you are so perfect!

Ummm...never said anything about being perfect. Just letting the dude know that whoever told him that is a complete moron. Strut bar would have nothing to do with freaking camber!

And like said above....leave the car down and take off the 2 nuts and 1 bolt (if its a 3 hole bracket). The weight of the car is on the strut mount and the studs will stay sticking up. Easy job....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search