Agx or somethings creaking - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Agx or somethings creaking
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 2:32 AM
ok now im worried about my new suspension......... i have been braging about it on the forums to people the past couple days but now i have a problem. Today i got an alignemt and i dialed my agxs to 2 in the front and 4 in the rear. I went to this place lolly cup which is 15 mins from my house. The expansion joints on the freeway bridge gave me nice jolts and i was enjoying myself. But on the way back home i changed lanes over the bumps and i hear this loud squeaking sound or creaking sound coming from the right rear area of the car. It only does it when i go over something large and repedative like the dots on the lanes. Now is this something lose in my body just rattling, the rear suspension being to tight when i reinstalled it, or are my shocks having a problem? Any ideas? Thanks........... oh and i went to my friends house and jiggled the wheel with my hands, i produced the same sound.

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Re: Agx or somethings creaking
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:01 AM
check the wheel nuts first!

see ya!

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 6:22 AM
nah my fire is lowered and i started having a squeeking coming from the trunk area i believe it is bad strut mounts you might check into that. open your back seat and drive down the road see if you can hear it pretty good like that. From the sounds of it i'm bettin you thats what it is

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:08 AM
Yeah, check all your lug nuts and then check your rear strut mounts.

Are you sure it's not just interior stuff creaking from the increased stiffness?

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:21 AM
ya i have the same squeaking/ thumping noise aswell,, before i lowered my car i looked at tthe strut mounts and the one in the rear passenger side was already wearing, its not very expensive to replace, about 20 dollars.
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:34 AM
yup when I get my new suspension definatly gonna change the mounts since everything will be off anyways.

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4L 9.6 @74mph 1/8th mile w/2.28 60ft

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:26 AM
its more of a creaking rattling sound. i was listening to it on the way to school. it happened once on my 20 min trip. I also looked at the mount with the wheel on and there looks like theres plenty of rubber and no wear. The bolts also dont look like they have come loose and they dont turn from inside the trunk. It kinda sounds like how plexiglass sounds when it rattles on wood. And its like a boingy sound. Its not just solitary creaks... when it happens its like a long drawn out repetition of rattles. Like then u flick ur antenna it sways back and fourth for a lil even tho you only hit it once. Any other thoughts guys? Getting it alligned wouldnt have caused it would it? It happened the same day i got the alignment

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:38 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:Yeah, check all your lug nuts and then check your rear strut mounts.

Are you sure it's not just interior stuff creaking from the increased stiffness?
I 2nd that

see ya!

Friday, February 25, 2005 5:29 AM
only thing i can think of is it's either the mounts or something that wasn't tighted back up just lift your car and start wigglin on things you think might be loose

Friday, February 25, 2005 12:49 PM
i did, looked tight to me... maybe the progessive springs just rubbing itself, there paint coming off on the tops and bottom of the coils where its tighter

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Friday, February 25, 2005 1:04 PM
looked will not get it make sure that they are tight.

see ya!

Monday, February 28, 2005 7:48 PM
did you put gease where the bolt goes through the shock on the bottom?

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Monday, February 28, 2005 8:55 PM
i didnt

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 5:22 AM
when in doubt WD-40 *jk*

-Chris

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:41 AM
wd40 can actually where rubber pieces after awhile and generally shouldnt be used for something that needs to stay lubed for long periods of time. Ive had good luck with white synthetic linthium grease on all of my cars. Its pricey but well worth it.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search