alignment - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
alignment
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 3:05 PM
I took my cavalier in to get an alingnment today and they said they couldnt adjust camber or caster since its lowered. Im lowered about 2.5 inches on bilstein coilovers. They said I needed more parts to make camber and caster adjustable. I thought I read on here you didnt need any camber bolts or anything. Im not an expert so I wanted to make sure there not lying to me.

Re: alignment
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:01 PM
You dont need camber bolts if your willing to get your struts slotted where they attach to the spindle. How much negative camber do you have? If its less than 2 deg I wouldn't worry about it. Caster is not adjustable, so don't even bother with it.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:49 PM
camber in the front is -1.9 on the left and 0.8 on the right

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 5:02 PM
Has your car ever been in an accident? You should not have positive camber with a 2.5" drop...

Anyways, check around for an alignment kit and have both sides set at like -1.5. I know someone had the eibach alignement bolts on ebay fairly cheap.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 5:05 PM
Its never been in an accident that I konw of. I bought it used so its possible

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 4:37 PM
They also said that I need new front strut mounts. I will check them tomorrow but what are some cheap places to get them. I checked at pep boys and they want $100 for each side and they have to order them. I want to get them for cheap but I dont want to get them used.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 5:11 PM
Our cars don't get camber unless they have been in an accident. Correct me if I am wrong here guys. Same with the caster. There is just no adjustment for it.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 5:22 PM
Camber can be adjusted if you slot the bottom hole on your strut. The GM manual says so. There is no easy way to adjust caster though.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 5:26 PM
That's what I thought. You have very little camber adjustment unless you modify and like no caster adjustment at all. The only thing you really have adjustment on is toe in and toe out.
I would try to find out if it has ever been in an accident or driven over something.
They could just not be able to calibrate the machine right because it is lowerd. But I am not sure. I don't do alignments with machines or actually do them LOL.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 5:29 PM
Yeah, kind of hard to mess up the alignment on J's. But as said before: get the struts sloted or smaller strut bolts (camber kit)

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search