04 sunfire, no abs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 sunfire, no abs
Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:22 AM
I thought that most every car produced after 95 would most def. have abs.. I bought the base model sunfire and it dosen't.. Not that i'm upset, i'd rather have complet control, but why would gm decide that I would need air cond. but then skimp on the abs?? Do the cav's have this as well???

My Sunfire

Re: 04 sunfire, no abs
Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:35 AM
welcome to the wonderful world of GM

Thursday, March 03, 2005 5:58 AM
GM decided to let people decide for themselves whether they wanted it or whether they just wanted to save the cash.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:36 AM
I have an 04 cav without ABS. I don't think I have traction control either. Oh well

Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:47 AM
If you don't have ABS, then you won't have traction control either.

Dark blue 2002 Z24, 2.4 Ltr.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:09 AM
No ABS here...doesn't bother me at all.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:03 AM
One less thing to brake and throw an pcm code.. But on a side note, how does the car detect it's speed without abs sensers(sp)? A senser in the tranny?

My Sunfire
Thursday, March 03, 2005 1:54 PM
It was a cost savings move.

the new aveo is available to 10K with ABS as an option, its intercoporation competition

-Chris

Thursday, March 03, 2005 3:33 PM
Same here, no ABS, no traction control. In Arizona I couldn't tell you the difference, in Michigan it gets squirrely.

Friday, March 04, 2005 6:38 AM
99 Sunfire SE...WITH ABS..I hate it! try and slam the brakes on and it does nothing but shake the living $hit out of you... you just about lose control on a rainy day...definately one area GM needs to refine.

®â€îñg666™
Friday, March 04, 2005 7:55 AM
No ABS here, either. Thought I had it until I slammed on the brakes and just slid!

Friday, March 04, 2005 9:36 AM
all j's from 95-02 have ABS as standard equipment, but starting in 03 gm wanted to lower the base price of the car to gain sales of younger buyers, and well when you lower the price stuff has to come off the car, so ABS and traction control if you got an auto were deleted and made a 300 dollard option, and not standard until you get to the LS trim level. I know when i was selling them in 03, i took a base eco/5spd coupe and raced a freinds 99 civic SI, that had a fes mods air intake and exhaust mostly and of course the eco was stock with like 100 mile son the car, and fromt a start we both spun hard and then i pulled him thru the top of thrid and then there was this huge curve in the road, well i hit the brakes to slow down and the dam ass end cam around like nobodys business, scared to hell out of me, i recovered it, with no damage to either car.

Long story short, in these little cars i wouldnt want to be without ABS, it has saved me many a times in my 99.

But i do believe the new cobalt will have stadard ABS, but not 4 wheel disk.

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.

Fully built turbo 2200 in progress, should be installed very soon. Will post details as they happen.
Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.
Friday, March 04, 2005 10:18 AM
who cares about ABS...

I never liked how they performed. Anyway I almost got an accident couple weeks a go. It was plain slippery and thank god i didnt have ABS or I would of bumped on the car infront of me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Friday, March 04, 2005 2:32 PM
My 2001 has ABS but I HATE how if you brake hard the pedal gets squishy..or it's really hard to explain. It's still breaking, but the pedal feels like it gives and gets shakey and squishy. I f)*^ing hate it.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 5:59 PM
I have an 03 Sunfire here....Mine is a 1SB option package, with abs and sun and sound package (pwr sunroof and upgraded sound system), also I have automatic trasmission delete other than that mine is pretty much base....

Thanks to spyderwizard for the sig!
Monday, March 07, 2005 5:55 PM
IMO I'd rather have ABS for control around corners, I've driven cars on snow around corners and the ABS is always better for controlling the car with steering(while it's skidding). They make the ABS for mostly controlling purposes(I know), I dont know if it stops in a shorter distance or not without ABS, you'd think it would stop shorter without because the tires dont "ratchet" around. When skidding straight with ABS it seems like the car slides further than it should have. ABS is more of a personal preference.
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:51 AM
I'd sooner have no ABS and a good set of tires for the season, although I rarely have my ABS kick in now that I have good tires as opposed to the crap stock RSA's. Even in the winter I can drive at the limits and rarely have the ABS interfere with my snow tires on. Plus the newer J's have a far superior ABS than the early ones.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
'01 SFGT springs $50CAN
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:24 PM
i hate my abs......

Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:41 AM
Your foot is the best ABS you can have if you know how to use it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search