ground control? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ground control?
Friday, March 04, 2005 6:15 AM
to all the guys that ride with ground controls, when you hit putholes or bumps, does the front of the car hit the top mount of the car or not? Does it sound like you are going to break something or iis it quite and smooth? I have the Tom CoilOvers and they have destroyed my strout mounts from hitting bumps.

Re: ground control?
Friday, March 04, 2005 6:49 AM
what struts are u on. if u are on the stock struts with those coils, its gonna ride like crap. if u are gonna put any drop on your car u need lowering struts, and if u have coilovers, u need KONI. also i would suggest getting rid of those coils and getting Ground control, ive heard only good things about GC/Koni.

this is my sig
Friday, March 04, 2005 7:13 AM
I do ride on Koni yellows, I was just wondering whether Ground Controls do break the strout mount? I have a 1999 Z24
Friday, March 04, 2005 7:51 AM
I've been on GC's for nearly 2 years now and my mounts are fine.

First off, regardless of what you're using to lower your car, you NEED proper bump stops to cushion the hardest of hits.

All cars will bottom out at times, no matter what you've got. The lower you are, the more you will bottom out. The lower your spring rates, the more you will bottom out, though if your spring rates are high enough it won't matter because if you can't compress them, you might as well ALWAYS be bottomed out. This is a big issue with a lot of the cheap coilovers on the market.

When the car bottoms out, it no longer matters what springs you have. They're not doing anything anymore. Now all that matters is the bump stops. The bump stops will cushion the impact so it's not a huge shock to the suspension and the rest of the car.

An instant later, the dampers will prevent the springs from rebounding with enough force to pop your car up so it can come crashing back down for another hard hit. The dampers have to be able to handle the force of the springs you've got.

Finally, it doesn't matter what you've got for a suspension if there is no available travel. Even the best setup is useless if you're dropped 2.5" and there's no room for any of it to do anything. As I said above... once you're bottomed out, the springs don't matter. Well if there's no room to get away from being bottomed out, then the dampers don't matter much anymore either. Just make damn sure you've got some big quality bump stops in there because those will be your only real suspension.

Friday, March 04, 2005 8:44 AM
[noob_question]

Any suggestions where to get a good set of bump stops? i was just going to pull some off of a junker when i go to put on my pro kit & AGX's

[/noob_question]

Friday, March 04, 2005 9:43 AM
just use ur stock bump stops, but u have to cut off some from the bottom of them.

this is my sig
Friday, March 04, 2005 10:49 AM
rhodaz24 wrote:just use ur stock bump stops, but u have to cut off some from the bottom of them.

Cant... stupid me bought some cheap coilovers on GR2's (that are pretty much blown now). Don't believe they have bump stops (if they do they are also pretty much gone also) & I sold off my stock set-up

Do bump stops typically come in new strut boots or with new mounts?

BTW, sorry for the thread jack...

Friday, March 04, 2005 11:12 AM
Stock ones should be fine and so long as you're using springs that they fit in, which should be anything besides coilovers. I generally recommend not cutting them at all. You can always cut them later if you think it's necessary but try them out in the stock size first.

If you've got coilovers, you can buy bump stops directly from Ground Control that will fit within the smaller springs. That's what I've got now and they're taller than what's left of the stock ones once you cut them to fit.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:51 PM
you can also get taller springs from GC

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search