Caliper Pistons.... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Caliper Pistons....
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:27 PM
How many pistons are required on the cavalier? What is the differance between a 2, 4, or 6 piston caliper??

Re: Caliper Pistons....
Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:02 AM
A floating caliper (like our stock front brakes) requires only one piston. A fixed caliper requires a minimum of two.

A floating caliper only has pistons on one side of it. The caliper then moves on some sliders so that pressure is placed on the rotor from both sides.

A fixed caliper is fixed solidly in place so there are pistons on both sides of it pressing their respective pads against the rotor. Obviously these generally have an even number of pistons.

Having more pistons can allow you to have a larger caliper with more even pressure pushing the pads against the rotors. Having two smaller pistons pressing against the back of the pad will obviously distribute the force better than having one big one pressing in the middle. 6 or 8 piston calipers tend to have smaller pistons distributed across the pad so the pad can be much bigger than if there were only a couple.

Friday, March 04, 2005 11:54 PM
i'm actually pleasantly surprised that GM has rebuild kits for our calipers. still can't get over the wheel bearings...may i have some vaseline before i pay for this.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 11:24 AM
Have you tried Carquest Auto Parts? Try to see if there's one in your area. Their bearings cost me $90 ($89.??) check them out!

Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:44 PM
there is an auto zone like 2 blocks from my house. i've paid like 65 for front bearings and 102 for the rears.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search