HELP 18's RUBBING BAD - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP 18's RUBBING BAD
Monday, March 07, 2005 6:59 PM
I recently have Lowered my car I got KYB GR-2 Struts, and lowered it on progress springs. 1.5 inch drop. I am running a 225-40-18, and i rolled my fender lip with a good ol hammer and its still rubbing on the inside of the fender . IS IT my tires or what i need some help guys.

http://blitzedj.proboards45.com/index.cgi

Re: HELP 18's RUBBING BAD
Monday, March 07, 2005 7:34 PM
its probably your offset, roll some more

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, March 07, 2005 7:53 PM
I dont think its my offset i believe that its probally the width and height on the tire i may be wrong any suggestions

Monday, March 07, 2005 7:59 PM
you're wrong, its the offset of your rims. roll some more, especially in the areas where you see chunks of tread stuck in the metal.

Monday, March 07, 2005 8:03 PM
Will a smaller tire help out any at all???

Monday, March 07, 2005 8:13 PM
it might, but 225/40 is the standard that you need and only thing i recommend.

but go ahead and spend money to buy new tires. and when you still get rubbing, buy smaller ones. and when you hit a hole and dent one of your brand new black rims that you love, buy another one.

you are obviously rubbing somewhere, take a look WHERE, and figure out why it rubs. more than likely, you need to roll the fender a little more. or, it could be a different problem in a different area. if you have a large offset (which i've seen your pix, doesn't seem like it) then that could be why. and btw, banging with a hammer isn't the smartest way to roll fenders.

Monday, March 07, 2005 8:20 PM
i dont know what the offset of the rim is i got a deal on them off my budy one of the the things i didnt check (which was stupid on my part) anyways how would oyu reccomend rolling the fender. also i think that i only rub the inner fender now on that one side so i believe that i may jsut take out that inner fender and see if that helps any at all.

Monday, March 07, 2005 9:09 PM
throw on the old rims

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Monday, March 07, 2005 9:12 PM
Monday, March 07, 2005 9:49 PM
you sure its not the gr2 strut thats rubbing , cause its a common problem with the strut rubbing the tire

unless you actually rubbing on the fender some where

its either the strut or the off-set on the wheel

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:04 AM
like i said, what part is rubbing, rubbing on the shock, or rubbing on the fender. and if rubber on the fender, where?

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 11:08 AM
Yeah, you keep mentioning the "inner fender". Can you describe exactly what is rubbing? The two trouble spots, depending on what's wrong with the setup, are the rear fender (outside, sheet metal cutting the tire) or the front inside during turns (inside the fender, rubbing, not cutting).

Describe exactly where contact is being made. If you can, post up some pics.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 11:12 AM
the offset of the rim is usually imp[rinted on it somewhere on the underside

Not unintentionally accelerating since 2009!!!!

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:11 PM
I apologize that i havent been very clear. It is the front right fender. The little metal lip that goes all the way around the whole toip half of the fender. It is rubbing at the very top of that lip. That is where it is cutting into the tire. I bent back that lip with a hammer. And now that the plastic (innerfender platic piece) is rubbing on the tire cause it is hanging down. So i was wondering if getting a smaller profile tire would help. BTW it rubs when i hit a bump or go into a sharp curve. Soory i ahevnt been clear before i hope you guys can help me with this.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:52 PM
well that changes everything i had to say. if you lowered on progress springs, how are you hitting the fender when turning, you would have to drop pretty low to do that. sure you installed the springs correctly?

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:55 PM
wow, after checking your pix post, you definitely are dropped VERY low. that is NOT 1.5", that is closer to about 3". when you installed the springs, you did put the thinner coils in the back and the fatter coils in the front correct? i've NEVER seen progress springs lower like that ever. i honestly think there is a major error in your install.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:56 PM
I am not too sure i know the Blitz front is really low but Yeah i am also on KYB GR2 Struts could that be the problem??

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:02 PM
I put the springs on, and there can't be a major error that was caused by me. As soon as we put the car down, I told everyone that it looked like it was waaaaaay more than a 1.7" drop. I'm not sure why it sets so low. The only thing that came to mind was maybe someone that had them before had heated them. They didn't look hurt at all before we put them on though.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:03 PM
well that is really low for springs. you can tell by the wheel gap. if you dont have a problem with the actual fender cutting in on your tire than your fine. as for the plastic inner guard, you can take them out if you choose.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:03 PM
You can NOT tuck the front wheels without modifying the body to allow it. If you're lowered enough that you're hitting there, it has nothing to do with the wheels or tires. There is something wrong with your lowering job. You're just too low.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:37 PM
Is the perch lower on the GR2's than on different struts? That's one of the only things I can think of. Even if it is, I can't imagine that it's THAT much lower.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:03 PM
i had a few options in mind, but after seeing everything, i think the problem is the springs.

If you are ABSOLUTELY sure the springs were installed correctly.

If the perch was too low, it would hit the tires, and you wouldn't even be able to put on the wheel.

The springs have been either - heated, cut, or those springs are NOT for a jbody. definitely a big problem that i would resolve because those springs could mess up and you could seriously do some damage.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:35 PM
well our verdict was (this may be entirely wrong) but These springs WERE on my buddies cavalier. as for them being heated i do not know (its a possibility) but i measured the car actually droped around the 2 inch mark on the passenger side, and on the driver side it droped about the 1.7 it was supposed to. However i have tucked in the fender and it is no longer rubbing the tire (Thank God) why one side is sagging and the other is not I dont know. Yes the perch on the GR-2's i found out also were lower than the stock perch's Actually my 18's you can barely stick a piece of paper between it and the perch its self. This i found was a common problem on the GR-2 Struts. I believe that my problem is fixed so like i said i may be completely wrong. Also my car was take in for an alignment yesterday and the guy said there was no problems getting it aligned and everything underneath was right ( i had him check weather he did or not ???) didnt say anythign about it being messed up. but ye the Pics do make it look alot worse that it actaully is. like i said any more comments and suggestions are fine.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:43 AM
Yeah, he's correct about the clearance. There are only a couple millimeters between the perch and the tire.
My first thought was that the springs had been heated. We're not sure about it though.
Hopefully we can figure out what it is before too much longer.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:08 AM
there should be only a small clearance between the tire and the perch (although I dont remember off the top of my head how much). i honestly dont think thats the problem, because past problems with the GR2's showed that they would be so low that they would hit the actual tire. when they were corrected, they would be normal height. so if you still have clearance, it might be that you have a new set, not an old one. and it doesn't matter if you say that the pix make it look lower than it really is, because I've seen ground control setups that dont rub until you're on the last thread, which basically you have no more clearance, because you're that low. springs dont drop that low, i still think there is something wrong with the springs......

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search