koni yellows and skunk2 coilovers.... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
koni yellows and skunk2 coilovers....
Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:40 PM
hey ppl....i bought my skunk2 coilovers a while back to lower my car...then i read that i should get new and decent struts while i did it...otherwise they would blow....

well, i do a bit of racing...and want to adjust the stiffness etc while everything is still on the car....so im gonna go with koni yellows...

my question-my setup kosher? skunk2's with koni yellows...dont plan on DROPPING it....just want it lower so the wheel gap isnt so ugly

so....this plan cool, or lame....? any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Black 97' Z24
Blacked Out and Lovin' It...
"Z Yaaaa"

Re: koni yellows and skunk2 coilovers....
Monday, March 07, 2005 6:00 AM
skunk2 only sells sleeves and springs for our cars and I'm not sure what spring rates they provide, though they're almost certainly too high.

You're still going to need all the other hardware necessary to fit them to our cars. I suggest dropping them in the trash and getting a proper set of Ground Control's to use with the Koni's. The Koni Yellows are a good choice.

Monday, March 07, 2005 5:50 PM
like said^^ if you want the adjustably then GC are the way to go. if you want to lower it and forget it, then got with the Eibach, either the pro-kit or the Sport-line springs. the pro-kit is a mild drop with performance in mind. with this choice your A-arms are almost parallel to the road when setting level. the sport-lines will drop you some more but you don't gain that much performance wise. but your stance is noticeably lower. and you CANNOT GO WRONG WITH YELLOWS. I love mine and wouldn't trade em for anything.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:23 AM
hmmmm ok....lol i guess the $300 i paid for the skunk2's wasnt worth it?
i was always told they were the next best coilovers under GC and like the RK sport full ones

Black 97' Z24
"Z Yaaaa"
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:47 AM
Fast97z24 wrote:hmmmm ok....lol i guess the $300 i paid for the skunk2's wasnt worth it?
i was always told they were the next best coilovers under GC and like the RK sport full ones

Nope, it wasn't. And who told you that?? I can't imagine anyone here ever suggesting such a thing.

The only sleeve kits I am aware of that have been properly engineered for our cars are the GC's and the RK Sport kit and I'm not even sure if the RK kit is available in different configs for the various strut options like the GC kit is.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:54 AM
I will throw this in Skunks are ok for other car and may be one step under ground control but for Cavaliers they may be just generic coilovers. I knew a guy who had them with Koni reds and they were ok not the best ride but ok. He moved on to Mantapart full coil overs.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:08 AM
Many of the brands that suck for our cars are just fine or even very well respected for other cars. I think a lot of them just couldn't be bothered to actually install them on a j-body to see what's necessary for a proper fit. They just find out the strut diameter and make a sleeve to fit them. Then they throw in some generic hardware like o-rings and maybe some top hats and call it a day.

Unfortunately, that leaves the purchaser with all sorts of problems in the end.

I wouldn't call them "one step under Ground Control". I group them in with all the other crap on the market that's not engineered for the car. There is "works" and there is "doesn't work". There is no "almost works".

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:41 PM
hmmm well said....
i guess i got it fron event when he said "you get what u pay for" and since i paid almost the same as ground controls....i assumed i WAS getting what i paid for...

i guess assumption is the mother of all fu<k ups

Black 97' Z24
"Z Yaaaa"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search