K Brace and Rear Sway Bar Questions:Who has both? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
K Brace and Rear Sway Bar Questions:Who has both?
Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:00 AM
Which rear sway bar do you have a Addco or RKSport. Do you also have a K Brace? Anyone add them and what kind of difference did they make? Would you do it over again?

Thanks.

Re: K Brace and Rear Sway Bar Questions:Who has bo
Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:05 AM
I'm using the Addco rear sway bar. I really like it. The RK one looks decent too. Adding a rear sway bar is THE BIGGEST thing you can do to improve your car's handling. Of course, you would know this if you read the suspension FAQ .

I'm not using an actual K brace, but I'm using a subframe brace(K brace minus two mounting points). It seemed to make the front end a more consistent and if anything, it has saved my transmission pan a few run-in's with rocks.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:24 AM
Zach, thanks. Yea, I have put a few sway bars on cars, GTO's to name a few. I just wanted to know which brands people are using.

What brand of subframe brace did you use and where did you get it? Thanks. Tried to IM you but you are not online.
Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:47 AM
I'm using a Control FX subframe brace. Its hard to find now since they stopped making them. I think High Rev's K brace is a fairly good deal for $65. If you have the FE2 suspension I would suggest the Addco bar since its a little bigger than the RK bar. The RK doesn't involve any drilling, but its not like installation of the Addco is challenging to install.

My opinon:
I would spring for the Addco. If you decide to go RK order from someone like Gravana or Karo @ carcustoms.net, but stay away from RK Sport themselves. They have a tendancy to screw up people's orders and then you get to deal with their customer service people (which has to be one of the worst in the business).

Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:39 AM
Addco

see ya!

Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:52 AM
Yea, I have a lift and access to all kinds of tools and have things with cars much more challenging than installing a sway bar so the Addco might be the way to go. I'll keep looking at baces. I know it couldn't hurt but I wanted somethign to more or less just tighten the car up. It has 40K miles on it now and I just added a front STB and I have a rear STB on order and a lower brace might help with the pot holes, etc here in Massachusetts and the bar is for fun in handling the on and off ramps.

Thanks guys.
Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:12 AM
I haven't installed mine yet, but the polyurethane control arm bushings are supposed to help a lot.

Of course a good spring/adj. shock(and strut in our case) combo would always help to if you got the $$$.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:14 AM
Forgot to mention that there is an artile on here about making your own subframe brace. Here's a pdf I made of it(Right click and save as):http://plaza.ufl.edu/zachg432/subframe.pdf

Friday, March 11, 2005 7:29 AM
Hey, good artical but where exactly is that bar attached to? Where is it, the front or back of the car and is it going from side to side, do you have to drill holes in ur car to mount it or does it mount in existing holes? I really want to make this, it's easy enough, but I dont know where or how to mount this. Thanx
Friday, March 11, 2005 7:56 AM
mrgto wrote:Yea, I have a lift and access to all kinds of tools and have things with cars much more challenging than installing a sway bar so the Addco might be the way to go. I'll keep looking at baces. I know it couldn't hurt but I wanted somethign to more or less just tighten the car up. It has 40K miles on it now and I just added a front STB and I have a rear STB on order and a lower brace might help with the pot holes, etc here in Massachusetts and the bar is for fun in handling the on and off ramps.

Thanks guys.

Hey youre in mass? Im in NH! Potholes kick ass with coilovers !!

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Friday, March 11, 2005 7:06 PM
Try this site for the Subframe brace:
http://www.ny-jbodies.org/forum/library/How2/subframe/subframe.asp
You will have to cut the tubing and drill some holes but it's a simple task and really cheap.

Friday, March 11, 2005 7:08 PM
Saturday, March 12, 2005 6:58 PM
Hey, thanx that link is awesome, but has anyone done this? how hard is it to do? Does it take long? THanx
Sunday, March 13, 2005 7:54 PM
It was really easy. All you need is a wrench, a ratchet w/ socket, a drill, a tape measure and a way to cut the tubing(Hack-saw, sawzall,etc..)
The hardest part was to put the car up on jackstands. Just use ramps! Follow the directions and anyone with the simplest mechanical knowledge could do it alone.
Just remember measure twice and cut once.
I did mine in less than an hour, and that included Painting the bar, pulling out the tools and putting them away! But I do this kind of stuff allot working on race cars and have access to power tools.

Monday, March 14, 2005 2:53 PM
Yea, if I can find a piece of steel to do it I might. I need to order a rear bar. I wish some of the sponsers here had GP's or specials on parts more often.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search