MY CAR LOOKS LIKE A TRUCK 99 SUNFIRE - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MY CAR LOOKS LIKE A TRUCK 99 SUNFIRE
Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:30 AM

my car looks like a truck, and now that its getting warmer here in SC, its time to start cruising.. what can i do to make it look better without spending a million dollars? I am about ready to just cut a coil off the stock springs, i dont care how it rides, just want it to look better..

®â€îñg666™

Re: MY CAR LOOKS LIKE A TRUCK 99 SUNFIRE
Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:33 AM
forgot to add, i measured from the top of the tire to the fenderwell and its just under 5"..i guess my question is, would it be effective to cut a coil off, or should i try to install 4WD and take it out on the mudding trails here?

®â€îñg666™
Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:39 AM

maybe it will work this time...im searching for an image host.. click the image and see the sunfire pickup truck model..

®â€îñg666™
Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:51 AM
Do not cut the stock springs.......please do not cut the stock springs. I know that you do not care how it will ride but there are characteristics of your spring that should be taken into consideration such as the free length and spring constant. you can get a set of eibach sportlines for $150 and a set of shocks for not too bad.

there will be lots of people who will come in here and tell you not to cut the springs...

the sticky at the top of the forum will tell you everything you need to know about lowering your car
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:51 AM
OMG!!!

I know someone just cut me up for bashing people's mods... but dude... put your car back to stock and get another hobby!!

Do not cut the springs. It's dangerous and and stupid. Clearly you're not prepared to spend the grand or so it will cost to get you what you want. That being the case, buy a set of Eibach Prokit springs and call it a day. If that's still out of your price range then DON'T DO ANYTHING. Save up and get them or forget about modding.

I just can't begin to put into words what I think of your car...

Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:04 AM
Quote:

I just can't begin to put into words what I think of your car...

Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:58 AM
by the way, the hubcaps arent on it anymore...going with the black steelies, but still..it looks like a truck.. i was just asking about cutting the springs, not like i already did..where can i get a set of Eibachs, or something equivalent...? im definately not going eBay cheap coilover way..i see a few people selling springs in the classifieds, but i guess their not too intent on selling since only one person has emailed me back.. and as for weasel, i'm sorry you dont like my car, but i dont have mommy and daddy backing me up buying me a car, and all the aftermarket parts, i'm going off of a $10 per hour computer repair job, and have 2 kids that i have to pay child support for.

®â€îñg666™
Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:02 AM
Why is it that every time someone sees someone with a nice car they assume they've got rich parents??

My mods weren't paid for by parents. They were given to me by God via the Bash raffles!!

Pretty much all the companies hawking parts here should be able to get you the Prokit springs. Definitely get in touch with Karo for a good price.

And it's good to hear you've ditched those ghetto-fabulous hubcaps. Definitely a step in the right direction. Now just ditch the wing and start saving for some real mods and you'll be all set. Come up with a plan and then work towards it and NEVER do a mod just because it's cheap or easy. Set out your plan in stages. Do what's in the plan and then save for the next stage.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:21 AM
you will care how it rides not long after you buy cheap stufff.....

thats why im STILL at stock hight, cant decide if i wnat to put out alot for a real good setup

as far as the rich parents thing....i duno why people always think that, with a little saving you can mod a cheap car..... we have J's, there cheap cars, i went to a private high school were kids had denali's and audi's etc... now thats mommy and daddy buying it.....and there i was in my cavalier. eh oh well

Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:56 AM
hey man, you can get the Eibach ProKit springs for like $140 new, and they'll give you a 1.4" drop. They don't ride that harsh at all, even on stock struts. Be prepared to blow your stock struts though. The ride will slowly get bouncier and bouncier.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:12 AM
You know some aluminum wings in my opinion look ok, and it depends on how they're mounted and what style. Your is probably the worst Ive ever seen, mounting, style and all that jazz. It just looks horrible with the other spoiler aswell..

Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:39 AM
i got caught up in the moment when i got that spoiler..it was given to me in trade for an old piece of crap computer that i had... i really dont think it looks all that good either, but if i take it off i will have the infamous holes in the trunk...i also wanted to ask if there was a way to replace the trunk hinges? mine got bent when i tried to shut the trunk in a pissy mood and something was under the hinge and it got bent.. im looking for a new trunk lid anyway, and if i find one, i'm not gonna mount a spoiler on it and sell that one..

®â€îñg666™
Thursday, March 10, 2005 12:45 PM
Glad you're moving in the right direction.

You're certainly not the first to jump into this hobby and do a bunch of crap that you later have to reverse when you get some perspective on things and realize what you've done.

Check the local wreckers for a whole new trunk. It will likely come with the hinges attached and if you can find on in red, it will likely be cheaper than repairing and repainting yours.

How bad are the hinges damaged? Does the trunk close?

Thursday, March 10, 2005 1:06 PM
it closes, but the gaps are off, and i can pick up the rear corner of the trunk and move it up and down a good inch on both sides..when it first happened, i had to adjust it several times and finally coaxed it into closing. it seems like it is trying to close too much, and right under the license plate hits on the top of the bumper, but it closes and latches. If i try to adjust it so it doesnt close as far, it wont latch and just goes BOING BOING and bounces..its also noisy when it closes now, but its because under the license plate where the latch is, is going down too far.. i'll try and get some pictures in a little while..i appreciate the help weasel, and i also want to comment on your spoiler..looks 100 times better than mine, but i bet it wasnt free lol..

®â€îñg666™
Thursday, March 10, 2005 1:29 PM
heres the pictures... ignore the cracked tail lights...damn kids throwing stones broke the one with the piece missing, and the passenger side was cracked when i bought the car..

®â€îñg666™
Thursday, March 10, 2005 2:06 PM
#1 piece of advice, stop knocking up chicks, child support is going to rape you IDB

#2 That spoiler is producing alot of lift, that's why you have so much wheel gap. Seriously though it's ugly, get rid of it. Go to a junk yard and buy a whole new trunk with hindges, no holes and new hinges, you'll be happy. I gotta wonder why you put it on there if you didn't like it in the first place.

#3 About the drop (finally, I know) SAVE YOUR MONEY. I can read that you don't make a whole lot of money, most of the people on this website don't make a whole lot of money but if you manage your money well by not buying crap you don't need (read #1 too) you can put that money away and afford a good setup. When you have something nice, you'll be proud that you do.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 2:15 PM
Dallas Blake wrote:Do not cut the stock springs.......please do not cut the stock springs. I know that you do not care how it will ride but there are characteristics of your spring that should be taken into consideration such as the free length and spring constant. you can get a set of eibach sportlines for $150 and a set of shocks for not too bad.

there will be lots of people who will come in here and tell you not to cut the springs...

the sticky at the top of the forum will tell you everything you need to know about lowering your car
150$ from where? the cheapest i have found is 194

Thursday, March 10, 2005 2:59 PM
like i said, it was free, and i got caught up in the moment..i think the things i dont regret doing to my car is going from 195/70/14 tires to 195/60's, the muffler i put on sounds really good and really deep for some reason (no weedwacker sound), and the clear HVAC knobs i did. the spoiler, yes i do regret and i think tomorrow if its not rainy here in SC, im gonna take it off and get some plugs for the holes for now until i can find a trunk lid...prefer to locate one around Charleston, SC area so i dont have to pay shipping..

®â€îñg666™
Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:08 PM
wait... 194? where?? lol cheapest i found is 225 i'd like to know this because i'm about to buy a set lol. sorry to steal the thread a bit but just wondering :-)

But yeah, Dennis, I'm not going to tell you again to not cut the springs as it looks like you picked up on that one already. My best advise is just start doing some good performance mods, and you'll forget all about how it looks. With good suspension setups our cars can outhandle most in autocrossing... so jump on what you're given you know?
Friday, March 11, 2005 9:51 AM
cheesy spoiler off now..anyone in the SC area know of any good junkyards that may have a decklid and hinges, and maybe a stock spoiler as well?

®â€îñg666™
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:02 AM
I agree with eveyrone else here. Get a new trunk with no spoiler for the time being, that'll look a ton better. The next step is to fix those broken tail lights - even if you don't have the money for brand new ones you can find stock tail lights for around $70 if you look around a bit. They'd need to be fixed anyway for car inspection I could only imagine if you have to go through yearly inspection there. We get to do car inspection and emission testing every year here now. Nothing like flushing $71 down the drain for the two inspections every May.

Friday, March 11, 2005 11:10 AM
no inspection at all here.. problem is finding a junk yard that has a sunfire in it...seems like all the ones down here have a million cavaliers, and not a single sunfire...

®â€îñg666™
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:27 AM
I found new stock Tail lights online. I'll try to dig that link up for you if you want.
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:29 AM
i'd like to get a new set to throw on, and try and mess around with the broken ones, maybe try to make clear style out of the old ones...like i said... try..... and if they come out crappy, i can just leave the new ones on..they sell on ebay for about 40 bucks a wack, and maybe if i find a junkyard here i can get a set when i get the decklid and hinges..

®â€îñg666™
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:33 AM
Hope the link works:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=213815&chapter=DR1FK95&appSectionid=2827&groupid=2828&subgroupid=4753&make=28&model=Sunfire&year=1999&catalogi d=2

$104.56 so more expensive then my Cavy Tail Lights would be to replace when I looked them up. You might be better off putting in a few more bucks when you're ready and getting modded tails.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search