Brakes vibrate after driving awhile... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brakes vibrate after driving awhile...
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:07 AM
Got a question since I'm a bit of a newbie to this type of stuff and want to go the right direction here to get this problem fixed while I still have my 97 Cavy. Anyway, the problem is when I start out driving everything feels nice and smooth just like the car drove when I got it back when it had 42,000 miles on it. After I drive for awhile (For example when I take the 45 minute drive up to my girlfriends house) at the end of the drive I notice the brakes feel like they are really vibrating pretty badly. Is this a cause of the rotors and will getting them turned down hopefully fix the problem? It's just the front brakes that do it - and it feels like it's the right-front more than the left-front brake doing it. That's my *guess* anyway - I had gotten ran off the road sometime back by an SUV during a snow storm, went off-roading in it and blew that right-front tire and it hit hard enough in the grass to bottom out and blow the tire and bend the wheel on the right-front and ever since then I've noticed a little vibration when getting on the brakes but it's gotten really worse here in the last 6 months or so. Any thoughts or suggestions? I guess if worse comes to worse I can just have a shop put new rotors / brake pads (Probably time for brake pads anyway) and that should certainly fix it.

Re: Brakes vibrate after driving awhile...
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:12 AM
i wouldnt turn the rotors...their only $14 a piece at Advance Auto parts..its gonna be about 5-7 a piece to turn them or maybe more... i would suggest getting 2 new rotors, and a set of new brake pads..hope this helps a bit!

®â€îñg666™
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:17 AM
Thanks, Dennis. At least it sounds like I was I thinking in the right direction. I'll have to get new rotors and brake pads put on it later then. Like I say, I probably needed new brake pads on the front for inspection anyway, this would be the second year on these brake pads.
Friday, March 11, 2005 12:23 PM
yeah the rotors are heat warped , and the rotors are thin to start with

if you spent the money to turn them , with in a couple months they would be warped again

its best to get new ones

if you have the money , go with some good ceramic pads and drilled rotors

Friday, March 11, 2005 12:28 PM
if it does it real bad, it could be cracked or broken even..i've seen it happen before..that is a great sig cavie...its nice when you know someone who has photoshop

®â€îñg666™
Friday, March 11, 2005 1:59 PM
Thanks 97cavie, guess it's time to head to Midas for me and get new rotors / brake pads on the front.
Friday, March 11, 2005 2:10 PM
you could do it yourself...its not really hard... only basic tools needed, plus a 3/8 hex (allen) head socket to take the caliper off...i can do it in 10 mins per side total..

®â€îñg666™
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search