rear sway bar question.... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rear sway bar question....
Monday, March 14, 2005 9:49 AM
Okay, you'll have to forgive me if i seem newbish, but i was just wondering if the $100+ i'll need to spend on an RK rear sway bar is actually worth it? By that, i mean will it make enough of a difference in handling to blow half a paycheck on? Any feedback would be great

Re: rear sway bar question....
Monday, March 14, 2005 9:54 AM
I can say it will be alot better than your stock one.

http://www.ohiocichlids.com <<<<If you keep cichlids
Monday, March 14, 2005 10:25 AM
i dont think i have a rear swaybar
of course i didnt look really hard for it either

Monday, March 14, 2005 10:59 AM
Jason Hall wrote:Okay, you'll have to forgive me if i seem newbish, but i was just wondering if the $100+ i'll need to spend on an RK rear sway bar is actually worth it? By that, i mean will it make enough of a difference in handling to blow half a paycheck on? Any feedback would be great
He// yeah it's worth it you will love turns after you install a rear bar.
and sappy you do have a rear bar it is welded into the trailing arm and does not do much add a rear bar and that helps the car rotate allot better than the you could imagine a small mod like this would

see ya!

Monday, March 14, 2005 11:05 AM
one of my best early mods. the bar is great and like said above it adds a whole new dimension to turns and installation is a breeze, just a few hand tools.

Monday, March 14, 2005 11:09 AM
Yep. Rear sway bar was probably the single most effective mod I've done. It was one of my first suspension mods and the effect is immediately noticable and a definite improvement.

Monday, March 14, 2005 1:16 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:Yep. Rear sway bar was probably the single most effective mod I've done. It was one of my first suspension mods and the effect is immediately noticable and a definite improvement.

Agreed.

Monday, March 14, 2005 7:24 PM
hey guys thanks for all your responses. it's a definite part-to-buy now. i may order it this thurs. when i go get my front bar if my drum kit is purchased by then. saving for lambo doors
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:34 PM
sweet

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:08 AM
i have a question too on these lines. if i get the eibach front and rear sway bar kit off rk sport. will it be ok with out lowering the car? it will still make a big difference right? cuz on the web site it say use with the pro kits or sportlines. i dont have all the money to buy both right now, but i will eventually have the pro kit. Thanks

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:17 AM
im running with stock struts and springs and with the RK rear sway bar.....between the bar and the br goodrich tires i have the car handles wayyyy better then stock

deffintly a good buy

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:46 PM
sappyL61 wrote:i dont think i have a rear swaybar
of course i didnt look really hard for it either

'03 and later models with the FE2 suspesion package have a 19mm rear sway bar and a 24mm front bar. GM put the rear bar in there because of the size of the large front bar and the fact these cars understeer really bad to begin with.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:54 PM
^^^ BTW I'm using the '03 front FE2/24mm barand urethane bushings and end links. I balanced it out with the Adco 1"/25.4mm rear bar. I only installed them last week adn really haven't driven the car to it's limits yet, but I cant tell it corners much,much flatter, not all wishy-washy like it was before

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:12 PM
^^ same set up here

see ya!

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:48 AM
Great modification. Those Interstate ramps that seem to curve for ever are not so bad now. Still one of my best modifications to date.
I have the ADDCO sway bar and the stock front bar with up graded bushings and control arm bushings I have a rear tie bar that is not the car because it kept hitting my exhaust.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 8:23 PM
Ok, this is the suspension setup i have for my car - nothing is on yet still too cold - but this is what i have waiting in my room to go on the car - H&R springs, kyb g2 struts and shocks, freedom designs front strut tower bar, rk sport rear strut tower bar, rksport rear sway bar, rk sport sub frame connector. anyone have any idea on how this is going to handle? Im thinking its going to handle like a rail on corners and have next to no bodyroll. Anybody have this setup or any ideas or feedback on the setup?

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:56 PM
^^ i would say see if you can return the GR2's and get agx's and control arm bushings

see ya!

Thursday, March 17, 2005 5:57 AM
BluCav wrote:i have a question too on these lines. if i get the eibach front and rear sway bar kit off rk sport. will it be ok with out lowering the car? it will still make a big difference right? cuz on the web site it say use with the pro kits or sportlines. i dont have all the money to buy both right now, but i will eventually have the pro kit. Thanks

Yes, it will definitely be effective without lowering the car. In fact, that's probably the best time to put it on since you'll really be able to feel the full effects of the bars. I recommend you put the rear bar on first and see how it handles. Then, later on, put in the front bar so you can see the difference and then decide what best suits you. I'm running just the rear bar right now since it now handles pretty much exactly as I want it to.

When you have stiffer springs on the car, they also counter the tendency of the car to lean so the effects of the sway bars, while still very important, may not be as noticeable.

novaracer wrote:^^ i would say see if you can return the GR2's and get agx's and control arm bushings

Seriously... that's going to be the weak link in the system. Why cheap out there? It looks like you're trying to put a quality setup together.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 12:03 PM
thanks weasel, that is usefull info for me.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:18 PM
so i should get agx's? whats the difference going to be? noticeable? i was thinking control arm bushings. how much of a __itch are those going to be to put in? i was thinking of buying those too. Yeah i want a pretty decent handling car. You guys can see it at next years bash. Everyone around my town just wants cars that handle good going straight. Im like screw that i want to throw my car into tight corners and have it grip the whole time. My loose link right now is my bald tires. Whats a good all season tire that grips really nice in all conditions?

Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:17 PM
Carbon Cavi wrote:so i should get agx's? whats the difference going to be? noticeable? i was thinking control arm bushings. how much of a __itch are those going to be to put in? i was thinking of buying those too. Yeah i want a pretty decent handling car. You guys can see it at next years bash. Everyone around my town just wants cars that handle good going straight. Im like screw that i want to throw my car into tight corners and have it grip the whole time. My loose link right now is my bald tires. Whats a good all season tire that grips really nice in all conditions?
AGX's are adjustable so you can tune the cars handling to your liking to a limit. the reason you want those is because of the higher spring rates of the lowering springs, the GR2's will not be able to control that spring rate very well. you can do your suspension piece by piece if you want that way you can feel the suspension transformation from econobox to a corner carver

see ya!

Friday, March 18, 2005 8:21 AM
lol econobox i like that. ok so then my next question is how hard is it to install the lower control arm bushings? and how noticeable will that be? i think with the setup i got for the most part will do what i want it to. theres a lot of old country roads here in S.E. CT. and if im screwing around with someone i want to be eating up these corners on them.

Friday, March 18, 2005 10:24 AM
the install is a pain in the a$$.http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=94922&t=94922
i did arm bushings and front sway bar D bushings i noticed way quicker turn in. and tighter steering feel, less wheel hop also with hard launches and sticky tires

see ya!

Friday, March 18, 2005 12:10 PM
Hell ya its worth it you will feel like god in the corners much more of an affect than struts or springs have, the install is very easy for the rear, unless you beef up the front you will have alot of oversteer

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, March 18, 2005 3:46 PM
What I have been told is that a factory front FE1 sway bar is 18mm, FE2 is 22mm and no rear sway bar at all.

Do the 03 and newer really have a 24mm bar?

Is the rear bar just the one that is built inside the rear suspension beam?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search