New pads....riding a little - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New pads....riding a little
Monday, March 14, 2005 9:34 PM
I just did some new pads today and when driving it kind of sounds like they are riding a bit .
I did the pads only and havent machined the rotors.

Is this bad or is it normal to ride a bit until they wear down like 1/64 of an inch?
Im a brake newb.

Re: New pads....riding a little
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 6:25 AM
Did you clean and lube the caliper sliders?

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 1:26 PM
^^ probably not.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:11 PM
on that topic, i pulled the caliper slides out to clean and lube them up, and they still move really stiff even after greasing them... any way to cure that?

®â€îñg666™
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:39 PM
The problem lies in the caliper casting rather than in the bushing or the pin or the lubricant. The casting develops rust in the hole where the rubber bushing for the slide pin goes. This squeezes the bushing causing the slide pin to bind. Your best bet would be to buy a set of reman calipers or, if you have the equipment available to you, remove the rubber slide pin bushings from the caliper casting and sandblast the surface inside the hole in the casting. Then reassemble everything using silicone dialectric grease (the clear stuff that comes in the box when you by new plug wires...they've got it in little single use packets at Autozone for 99 cents). There will be some resistance in the slide pins, but you should be able to move them easily with your fingers.

rubbin' is racin'
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search