Rear brake replacement + clunk in rear end - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear brake replacement + clunk in rear end
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:19 AM
hello i was about to change my back breaks and i was wondering wut the diff. level is prolly not as much as i thought ive done fronts several times ect but ive never done drums? how do i get the old shoes off ect? and is there a e break adjustment back there i heard there once was? only problem ive heard it getting the drum off but i recently took them off and painted them and they came right off with no problem. but once i get ur guys' opinion ill do um thanx!

also when im driving sometimes and hit the brakes my back breaks will like lock up.. andd then again when i hit my breaks sometimes after i come to a complete stop i will get a clunk in the back.. its almost feels as if something is spinning and when i stop it catches up with the car and hits something it has a slight delay from when i come to a complete stop?.. im hoping doing the back breaks will help as ive never changed them before? i have no spare tire or anything in the trunk that is making the clunk it has to be something mechanical with the car.. anyway let me know thanx!

Re: Rear brake replacement + clunk in rear end
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:25 AM
Listening................ I replaced the Drum and the shoes right before it started snowing, first night of heavy snow my rear brakes locked up, now they do it every now and then, not just when it snows. Hope someone gets us an answer!

CastorTroy24
97Z on the Autobahn
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:49 AM
i will give some good advice that someone gave me...take a stroll down to the auto parts store and pick up the Chiltons manual for your car..it will detail how to do the rear brakes, and give diagrams..it helped me out alot..drum brakes can get kind of confusing if you have never done them before, but if you take your time and do one side at a time so you have a reference if you get lost, you should be able to get it...just make sure you adjust them correctly as the manual will tell you... i have a similar clunk sound in the rear, that has progressively gotten worse.. i thought it was something in the drum brake itself, but i replaced the drum, shoes, hardware kit, and both wheel cylinders, and it still clunks in the passenger rear corner, almost sounds like cluck cluck cluck...if i engage the parking brake slightly while moving it still does it...im thinking its a strut mount...im gonna tear into it in about 10 mins here...

®â€îñg666™
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:52 AM
I have done a few rear brakes in my time. Never had a problem, except on a cavalier. Changed the rear a while back, now the right side rear clunks when you hit the brake in reverse?

http://www.ohiocichlids.com <<<<If you keep cichlids
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:55 AM
Brandon
Yes def get a manual, if you know what side the 'clunk' is comming from i can tell you its probly your wheel cylinder. was having the same problems with my 99 fire. tis weekend i changed the wheel cylinder in the drivers side rear. it wasnt hard you just need the right tools.... go to auto zone and get a back brake washer remover tool. you may want to look into a spring tool, i just used a pair of plyers. funny thing is i rounded off one of the bolts olding the cylinder on, so i had to take off the entire brake back plate and cut off the bolt with my dremel and then go to home depot and buy new bolts ( 6mmx 12mm) just incase the same thing happens to you,hehe. the wheel clinder was about 10 bucks. you can get a new one or a rebuild kit. i would get the new one. and you have to changed both of the back brakes at the same time. also you are going to want to pick up a one man bleeding kit. after you change you wheel cylinder, that will need to be bleed. its all in the manual. good luck

Monday, March 14, 2005 8:57 AM
but it didnt clunk before, changing the brakes can make the wheel cylinder go bad?

http://www.ohiocichlids.com <<<<If you keep cichlids
Monday, March 14, 2005 10:19 AM
hey try this...swap the drums to opposite sides..i did that and it cured the clunk i was getting in the right rear....i tore it all apart this morning again, and put it back together, readjusted them, and it still was making the clunk sound when i was at about 25mph to a stop and it would get slower and slower the slower i went... so i thought maybe i had a bad drum, so i swapped the LR to the RR and RR to the LR and no more clunk..try it!

®â€îñg666™
Monday, March 14, 2005 10:22 AM
Clever One wrote:. also you are going to want to pick up a one man bleeding kit. after you change you wheel cylinder, that will need to be bleed.

you dont necessarily have to pick up a one man bleeding kit if you have a friend or girlfriend to pump the brakes for you

®â€îñg666™
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:18 PM
My girlfriends sunfire has that same clunk... her dad took the drums off a couple months ago, cleaned the pads and all the brake dust, and the clunk went away for a while and now it is back. When I first heard it, first thing I though LEAKY WHEEL CYLINDER, but her dad said there was no liquid in around the wheel cylinders at all. anyone have any other ideas? One of my friends says to drill holes in the drum to allow the dust to escape instead of building up inside the drum... I dunno if I like drilling into stuff like that, probably screw up the balance of it...
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:54 PM
I had that in my old sunfire. It was the right rear wheel cylinder which had gone bad, caused the left side to lock up. I replaced all the shoes and both wheel cylinders and it went away for about a year, then I heard it a couple more times, really light... then the transmission went bad so I got a new car

As far as replacing all this stuff yourself, definately do one side at a time!!! these things are hard to get back together I think I had parts left over when I did it the first time :-O

Also you should be able to adjust your rear drums while in the car, just drive in reverse at like 5mph and slam on the brakes. Should hear something like a clicking noise.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search