Car pulls to the right when braking mod-hard. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car pulls to the right when braking mod-hard.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 7:43 AM
Hey guys,
I have replaced my rear brakes, all new pads and rotors up front and i still have this problem. The car pulls to the right when i brake moderately to hard. Is this normal on j-bodys? When i changed my rotors i didn't notice any significant wear to the right side. Thinking maybe the calipers where sticking..but i don't believe they are.

Any ideas/ thoughts?

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft

Re: Car pulls to the right when braking mod-hard.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:00 AM
sounds to me like you have a lazy caliper.. how were the brake pads on the right side, compared with the left? i would first try bleeding both the fronts, and see how it is..if it still does it, i would replace both calipers.. their only around $30 a piece brand new at Advanced Auto Parts.. hope this helps!

®â€îñg666™
Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:25 AM
Check the left side, a lot of times the car will actually pull to the opposite side of the problem. It will pull to the side with the more braking force.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 1:11 PM
Did you adjust the rear brake shoes? If one side is adjusted tighter than the other it will engage sooner causing it to pull to that side.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Saturday, March 12, 2005 9:43 PM
My 03 Sunfire does the same thing, pulls to the right under moderate or hard braking. When I had my oil changed they noted that on my next visit I should have front brake maintenance performed. Could it just be wear on the pads causing this?? If so, I remember reading somewhere that our brakes are "self adjusting" and that I should just brake hard from full speed a few times to balance out the brake shoes. Anybody know if this works??
Monday, March 14, 2005 5:59 AM
Also, be sure to check your tire pressures.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:34 PM
It hard to believe that a caliper is causing your pull. A caliper is a chunk of cast iron w/ an o-ring and 1 moving piston. Unless the piston is rusted in solid, I would look elsewhere. Most likely, you have a bad brake hose. This is the most common cause of pulls under hard braking. Hoses deteriorate over time, sometimes at different rates. Brake hoses all expand under pressure (yes, even stainless braided hoses, to a lesser degree) and when one hose is expanding more than the other, there is going to be less fluid pressure to that caliper. I have stock hoses for $20 each or stainless braided lines for $100/set shipped if you cannot source them locally. I think this is your problem rather than the calipers.

rubbin' is racin'
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 4:40 AM
since noone said it , it;s possable that it a control arm bushing? Hard breaking could cause the whole thing to shift/flex backwards causing the right wheel to pull to the right ever so slitely.. Check the bushing, I could be wrong tho, just a thought. And check the tire pressures like WW said, but also look for uneven whear on the tires, maybe alinement?

My Sunfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search