Heating Springs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Heating Springs
Thursday, March 17, 2005 3:47 PM
I put on some new monroe struts that I really like and now I want to lower the springs by heating them. I've never seen that done is that bad for your suspension.

Re: Heating Springs
Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:16 PM
yes it is bad. and monroe are just OEM replacments and are not made for lowering

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:57 PM
Yes heating springs is bad. It can make the metal from the spring brittal and is some case's has caused the spring to break while driving. Not something you want to have happen when you are cruising down the highway.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:58 PM
not another 1

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:39 PM
Be better off cutting the springs. lol

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Friday, March 18, 2005 5:08 AM
Don't even suggest that someone will not see the "LOL" and take it as fact or "I heard cutting springs is fine"

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, March 18, 2005 6:17 AM
Save your money and get a proper set of lowering springs.

Lowering springs are made to be stiffer so they can handle the reduction in travel you get from lowering.

Heating and compressing the spring will reduce the spring rate so not only will you have less travel, but you'll have an even lower spring rate than stock. Basically, you're going to bottom out all over the place and risk the breakage of the weakened spring under the stress.

Cutting it (without heating it) leaves you in just about the same position. It's a bad idea.

Considering how cheap a quality set of lowering springs are, doing this sort of ghetto lowering job is just plain stupid.

If you want a mild drop, save up for some Eibach Pro-Kit springs. If you want anything more aggressive, save up for some proper dampers (Koni or KYB AGX) BEFORE getting new springs.

Friday, March 18, 2005 1:44 PM
Cutting the springs is not fine. But it's better than heating the springs to reduce the coil tension.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search