Ground Control Coilovers and AGX probs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ground Control Coilovers and AGX probs
Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:39 PM
i just installed my AGXs and Ground Control Coilovers on my 03 cav and its actin weird. It handles great and corners crazy, but its making rediculus noises. The clanknig and banging is unbearable and so i know its wrong. If anyone has any pictures or tell me everything that is supposed to be on the strut as far as springs, or anyone that has done this before please help me i need to get this fixed ASAP.

Re: Ground Control Coilovers and AGX probs
Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:25 PM
Did you try putting the washers ontop of the strut mounts?

Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:20 PM
^^ you have hit the nail on the head
and rick fill out your vehicle profile please it helps use guide you in the right direction to solve your problem

see ya!

Friday, March 18, 2005 8:27 PM
So on the front 2 shocks, above the top mount but underneath the bolt i put a washer on it? so this goes right under the last strut bolt? also, is this a gold one that came with the coilovers? i have 2 on the rear two but they are 2 that i didnt know where they went so i slapped them on there. Do the rear 2 need them? few more questions for ya guys sorry.
Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:03 AM
sorry to be pushy but im trying to figure this out ASAP, hopefully in the next few hours before work.
thanks
Thursday, March 24, 2005 4:21 PM
bump
Friday, March 25, 2005 11:00 PM
2000+ need washers that are supplied with agx placed under upper strut nut above the mount. With the right tools this could be done theoretically on the vehicle. if you compare the nuts from the original struts to the agx nuts you will se that the oem strut nut has about a 1/2" to 3/4" spacer built into it. If you contact kyb via their website they should have them to you for free (they are very nice) within about 5 days. Or you can find your own some where and improvise, although I personally wouldn't do that. I had the same issue for about 2 months and just resolved the issue. And no you cannot just use the oem nut in place of the agx nut as the oem nut is 21mm and the agx nut is 22mm.

03 Cavalier LS
Ecotec 5 Speed
Sunday, March 27, 2005 9:15 AM
thank you very much. I did notice that among all my struts and coilovers that i had 4 brass washers. 2 were a little larger than the others, and i realized i had to put 2 of them as the upper strut mount perch for the rear 2 setups. so i had 2 washers left and no idea where to put them. i stuck them on the rear 2 struts above the upper strut mount and below the upper strut nut. should i have any washers on the rear 2? or should i just move the washers to the front?

thank you
Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:09 AM
And no, it's not the ones that come with the Ground Controls.

Directly on top of the aluminum top hats should be a bearing race (thin washer), the needle roller bearing, another bearing race, and a somewhat thick brass washer.

Monday, March 28, 2005 1:09 PM
oh, i thought it went above the upper strut mount, below the top bolt, not under the upper strut mount.. i am so damn confused on this now. if anyone has any pictures or anything that would help, ill get some of my own on my setup right now on later this week if nobody has any so you can tell me what i have done wrong.

@!#$.
Monday, March 28, 2005 3:57 PM
The one that comes with the GC kit goes under the mount, on top of the bearing. The one that comes with the AGX goes on top of the mount, under the nut.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:21 PM
pics.. cause im really confused

(write what ever comment you want here)
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:45 PM
ok so the washer that goes under the mount is a regular metalic washer identical to the washer under the bearing and the one that goes under the top bolt is a brass washer that is fairly large.

i hope this is right so far.

and also, do i have any washer on the rears above the strut mount and under the top nut?

i have some there right now and im thinknig i just need to move those to the front.

i have tomorrow off of work and i was hoping to get this done, i appreciate everyones help so far.
Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:59 AM
rick weissbach wrote:ok so the washer that goes under the mount is a regular metalic washer identical to the washer under the bearing and the one that goes under the top bolt is a brass washer that is fairly large.

i hope this is right so far.

and also, do i have any washer on the rears above the strut mount and under the top nut?

i have some there right now and im thinknig i just need to move those to the front.

i have tomorrow off of work and i was hoping to get this done, i appreciate everyones help so far.

No, both of those washers that you're describing are for under the mount with the Ground Control setup.

I have no experience with the AGX struts so I haven't a clue what that top washer looks like. I only know it exists from people posting about it here.

Directly on top of the top hats, under the mount, in this order from top hat to mount, are the following:

Thin silver bearing race (washer)
Needle bearing.
Second thin silver bearing race.
Thick brass washer.

It sounds to me like you're actually missing the washer that's supposed to be up on top. Make sure you use the brass one underneath or you're going to have issues with the top hats grinding against the mounts. It needs that washer for proper spacing.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 1:55 PM
well im working on it right now and i have no brass washers that fit above the 2 pussy washers and the bearing. I also contacted KYB to get washers that fit above the upper strut mount.
Thursday, March 31, 2005 3:49 PM
Well you need one. Otherwise the top hat is just going to grind into the mount and the bearing isn't going to do anything at all.

Friday, April 01, 2005 2:33 PM
OK well i am missing the brass washers but i did find 2 washers that go above the bearings, and i tested the setup. Under alot of pressure the hats push into the upper strut mounts, so i ground them down a litttle so they wouldnt not get stuck.

Just waiting for the 4 washers i need to get in and then ill be set, thank you for all your help.
Friday, April 01, 2005 4:46 PM
You're also going to need something I expect to be selling in a month or two...

But we'll get to that later.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:47 AM
Strut mount probs strike again Rick I'm assuming you already know that KYB does not cover use of Coilovers in their warranty just tryin to help you out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search