do they make polyurethane upper shock mounts? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
do they make polyurethane upper shock mounts?
Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:47 PM
I have the Ground Controls with Koni yellow shocks. And my upper shock mount in the front are littlerly squeezed out of the top and into the engine bay.. and my shock assembly is out of alignment because of this... So i am wondering if there is a place i can get polyurethane upper shock mounts.. And i do not even have them set as hard as they can go as this is my daily driver... i half them in the middle of what they can go.

Re: do they make polyurethane upper shock mounts?
Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:18 PM
I think you may have an issue with your installation. Your mounths shouldn't be doing that.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:25 PM
Do you know the brand of strut mounts on there? OEM, KYB, Monroe, etc.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:26 PM
I think you missed a assembly step with the mounts you should have used the top part or a 99mount on the bottom of the 99 mount. and unless you purchased them they do not come with the factory gm99 mounts. hence why i used my 00 mounts

see ya!

Friday, March 18, 2005 6:21 AM
This is something I'm currently in the process of trying to come up with a solution for.

When installing coilovers with the 2000+ mounts, the weight of the car rest on the center portion of the mount which is set into the rubber. When the rubber distorts out of position, it can allow the top of the strut to move both laterally and vertically, and often causes binding of the top hat with the mount.

I'm working on making some inserts that will go around the strut nut and keep the rubber from coming out from around the edges of the mount. I'm hoping this will solve these problems.

I've been talking to some urethane manufacturers about getting prototypes made but am still a few weeks off from having anything installed. I'll keep you updated though.

For now, jack the car up and use a large flat-head screwdriver to push all the rubber back into place. That should keep everything good for another couple months.

Friday, March 18, 2005 1:13 PM
Wild Weasel - yes thats exactly my problem... same car, same body kit and now the same suspension problems well let me know when you get these urethane things, as i will buy a set from you right away..

novaracer - my car is the 2001.

Zack - nope no solo2 yet... just put them in at the start of winter and i live in Calgary up in Canada so none of that yet (well there is but its on ice/snow)

Saturday, March 26, 2005 1:32 PM
Same problem here. Very small amount of rubber pushing through towers

Saturday, March 26, 2005 2:08 PM
I made the second prototype and put it in yesterday. For the small while I used them as designed, they worked awesome but time will tell how they hold up. The retainers fell out when I jacked up the car today to do some work so now I'm going to try them again without them. Some details here...

http://www.precizion.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3808

I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 2:12 PM
i had the same problem after i 1st lowered my car. I changed my mounts and forced a 1/8 thick washer into the top of the mount before i tighten them down, the washer was alittle bigger that the once molded into the front mount and havent had a problem since. Not sure if this helps my problem was with my struts, not shocks.

Bruce
red03ecotec

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search