Clunk in the front right control arm? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clunk in the front right control arm?
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:24 AM
hello when i drive my car and hit the gas somewhat i get this big clunk in my right front tire area.. my friends eclipse does it he took it in and they said it was a control arm?.. my car was hit in that area about a year ago and broke the tie rod i would imagine it did more damage then that? it was mostly hit in the door but did bend the tie rod a little anyway i dont even knoww ut a control arm is or why it would clunk when i hit the gas? thanx

Re: Clunk in the front right control arm?
Monday, March 14, 2005 10:03 AM
you could try replacing the bushings on the control arm... i'm not sure if, or how fast those things go bad

that's just a guess though...

Monday, March 14, 2005 8:14 PM
Sounds exactly like your control arm. that or the bushings which you would need to replace. It sounds mainly like your control arm is loose though. The only way to really get the problem diagnosed is to take it to a facility with a lift. Hope that helps you!

-Ben
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:17 PM
That sounds like the lower engine mount/torque arm. when the rubber bushins wear out in there, the engine & tranny will rock when accelerating or, if really worn, while shifting into and out of reverse and the metal portion strikes the munting bolt.
You can get the polyurethane mount and upper insert, which will make the car more responsive, but at a price. The urethane mounts transfer alot of the NVH from the engine and drive train. Usually you will get alot of vibration in the car(especially the dash) while ideling or at full throttle in the upper RPMs.
If you like a smooth ride just relace the lower mount with an OEM replacement.

Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:39 AM
I had the same clunk on my car (80,000 miles). I went to get it inspected and it failed, endlinks, passenger side control arm bushing, and rear tires. The clunk was from the bushing. It was bad so my a arm was bumping my subframe. No big deal because we put in the urethane bushings and sway bar kit that weekend.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search