Brakes clunking - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brakes clunking
Saturday, March 19, 2005 6:12 PM
I have been having soo many problems with my rears drums its not even funny. In the past year i have replaced the rear drums and brakes 3-4 times each. All resulting in them 4-5 days later going clunk clunk clunk when i stop. I can feel my foot pedal pulsate. Last time they were opened up at Firestone and had a brake inspection and they could not see anything wrong. As i took them apart and re assembled many time to make sure everything was proper. Everything was greased when i touched them last. I am out of ideas and no idea on what to do. The only thing they could come up with to take my 14 bucks was i over torqued my lugs.. Didn't think it was possible to warp a drum by pressure. Someone also said they might be out of adjustment. I thought they were self adjusting? Anyone?

Re: Brakes clunking
Saturday, March 19, 2005 6:46 PM
Were the drums turned. Cause if they were, they could have been turned too fast and create a spiral on the friction surface. This would cause the shoes to pull away from the hub. Then they would snap back to the backing plate when you let off the brakes.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Saturday, March 19, 2005 6:59 PM
Drums were brand new out of the boxes each time, sprayed with brake cleaner and scuffed with sand paper.

Friday, March 25, 2005 10:52 PM
I am having the same problem on my 97 Z, and the drums and shoes are brand new????

Saturday, March 26, 2005 7:41 AM
My wife took my cavalier to a brake shop to get brakes done (I was out of town). When I came back, the front brakes sounded like the pads were slapping against the rotor; when i pressed the pedal sometimes. I checked the pads & rotors and couldn't see anything. So, I bleed the brakes thinking it was that. The noises stopped for a few days, but then all sudden they came back. Any ideas? I also thought maybe it was my tie rods, but those had been replaced when I was rear-ended in to a truck. All new front end, for free.

The sound never happened, from the repair from accident to the time she took it in to the brake shop.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 7:16 PM
It seems that if I pull my e-brake up one good time while I am moving it will stop for a few days???? Could it have something ti do with the ebrake being out of adjustment? Or an ebrake cable going bad?

Sunday, March 27, 2005 4:38 PM
i have the same problem with the the rear drums and pads on my 90 rs 3.1 so if any one as any ideas on what it might be i would be greatful for the info

thanks chevy crack
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search